The churnups

a6l6e6x

4 hours ago, DYRTFT said:

Nick Banks doth protest too much, methinks.

Hopefully their ticket sales went well today, certainly wouldn’t want a festival announcement to hinder them…

Nick Banks also tweeted this.

The denial has to happen if was Pulp.... kind ruins the secret set vibe if he immediately confesses or after being really active ignores the hundred of repeat questions. 

Sorry I think its nuts for anyone to think it is not Pulp

Screenshot_20230602-105756_Chrome.jpg

Edited by AVALON.G

12 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

The denial has to happen if was Pulp.... kind ruins the secret set vibe if he immediately confesses or after being really active ignores the hundred of repeat questions. 

To be fair, if they're playing, doesn't necessarily mean it's this specific slot does it? There's more than a few suggestions that both bands are playing. 

For what it's worth, I voted that I thought it was most likely Pulp in the voting thread thing... But to play Devil's advocate, I think they'll both be on the farm... But where? 

For me, the Melvin Benn connection is what suggests Pulp. Jarvis loves Glasto and would obviously want to play. So Melvin/Festival Republic let them do it on the basis that it’s an unpublicised slot. Less chance of an impact on Latitude sales and perhaps a chunk of people choosing to snap up last minute tickets after seeing them on the beeb coverage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sisco said:

They will not want a mass stampede going from one to the other (look at the set times)

There’ll be a mass stampede out of the pyramid field if it’s not Pulp when everyone leaves to go see the act they would’ve been at

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

There’ll be a mass stampede out of the pyramid field if it’s not Pulp when everyone leaves to go see the act they would’ve been at

Really won’t if it’s Foos for example and even if you want to use that example the won’t all be going to same way. 

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Really won’t if it’s Foos for example and even if you want to use that example the won’t all be going to same way. 

I’d be sprinting my way to the Other to see Chvrches if Foos (or almost anyone else) walked out on stage instead of Pulp 😂 (I accept I may be in the minority however)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AVALON.G said:

A lot of people on Twitter also worked he signed off his other tweet with "Over and Out" which is a Foo Fighters song. Deliberate red herring or does he know it's the Foos playing there because they are also playing but at a different time as some people have already suggested?

I was 100% certain it was Pulp but now I'm having big doubts and think they are the least likely of the main 3 mentioned...

Reasons it's Pulp:

- People say you "churn into a pulp" but is that really a saying? It's more beat/squeeze I'd have thought?

- Some people had suggested that third slot up on a Friday was them before the original line up was announced.

And that's it... one is inconclusive and the other has likely to have changed anyway given someone said they were still doing 2 more shows the other month, expecting one to be Glasto, and they've announced 2 other warm up shows instead and that's it. To my knowledge, they have also never appeared under a pseudonym.

Reason it's Foos: 

- The link to DG old band being called Churn

- Nick Banks crypto tweet featuring their song

- The band allegedly having a hotel booked in the area (this rumour was dated in December)

- QOTSA also playing at the festival

- Appeared under pseudonyms before 

- DG special appearance last year. We know special appearances one year can sometimes lead to a full appearance the next.

Reason it's Blur:

- You churn milk into cheese. That is an actual saying. Alex James makes his own cheese.

- Graham Coxon cancelling his show with his band The Weave on the Friday when this set would happen due to "scheduling issues"

Won’t the act be common knowledge sometime before they’re due on the Pyramid stage, so whoever it is will have the right audience. 

I say this as I can’t recall one of the big secret Glastonbury sets being a total surprise on the day. Something always happens to reveal the act (I think I’m right in saying?)

4 hours ago, Joey01 said:

I was 100% certain it was Pulp but now I'm having big doubts and think they are the least likely of the main 3 mentioned...

Reasons it's Pulp:

- People say you "churn into a pulp" but is that really a saying? It's more beat/squeeze I'd have thought?

- Some people had suggested that third slot up on a Friday was them before the original line up was announced.

And that's it... one is inconclusive and the other has likely to have changed anyway given someone said they were still doing 2 more shows the other month, expecting one to be Glasto, and they've announced 2 other warm up shows instead and that's it. To my knowledge, they have also never appeared under a pseudonym.

Reason it's Foos: 

- The band allegedly having a hotel booked in the area (this rumour was dated in December)

- DG special appearance last year. We know special appearances one year can sometimes lead to a full appearance the next.

Reason it's Blur:

- You churn milk into cheese. That is an actual saying. Alex James makes his own cheese.

- Graham Coxon cancelling his show with his band The Weave on the Friday when this set would happen due to "scheduling issues"

Don't forget Nick Banks' tweet a while back, simply saying:

"Somewhere...in a field in Somerset" 

Funny how people read things differently. For me, the more compelling evidence, however ambiguous (deliberately so by the festival to create this debate in my opinion), is and has always suggested Pulp. 

16 hours ago, Big durbs said:

but ... i have it on good authority , that the foo's whole crew are booked into a Bristol hotel for the whole glasto weekend !

You see, this puzzles me also. Bristol is a bit of an odd choice for a band of the Foo's stature if playing Glastonbury....I could see them staying at The Newt or even Babington House, both an easy drive or a very short helicopter ride to the site, but Bristol is to my mind a little awkward. Most top class hotels are pretty urban so their presence might not exactly be 'discrete', and there isn't actually a great choice at that level.  Any drive to the site would also take at least an hour through Bristol traffic so a short helicopter ride would likely be the choice, and with the exception of Berwick Lodge (which although perfectly placed to the west of the city isn't really their style....) there isn't much else where you could land a chopper. 

6 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

You see, this puzzles me also. Bristol is a bit of an odd choice for a band of the Foo's stature if playing Glastonbury....I could see them staying at The Newt or even Babington House, both an easy drive or a very short helicopter ride to the site, but Bristol is to my mind a little awkward. Most top class hotels are pretty urban so their presence might not exactly be 'discrete', and there isn't actually a great choice at that level.  Any drive to the site would also take at least an hour through Bristol traffic so a short helicopter ride would likely be the choice, and with the exception of Berwick Lodge (which although perfectly placed to the west of the city isn't really their style....) there isn't much else where you could land a chopper. 

Is there a possible link to the Bristol Sounds gigs in town that weekend, that we've not looked into yet?

7 hours ago, Joey01 said:

Reasons it's Pulp:

Reason it's Foos: 

Reason it's Blur:

The top two Blur ones and the top Foos one are, for me, the only ones that make any sense. Everything else is tenuous at best, trying to find clues were there isn't one.

• Like 1

Just now, deepkittycaz said:

Is there a possible link to the Bristol Sounds gigs in town that weekend, that we've not looked into yet?

I think it's worth considering that the 'act' booked into the Bristol hotel might not be the Foo's, but someone heading here instead.....

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Don't forget Nick Banks' tweet a while back, simply saying:

"Somewhere...in a field in Somerset" 

Funny how people read things differently. For me, the more compelling evidence, however ambiguous (deliberately so by the festival to create this debate in my opinion), is and has always suggested Pulp. 

Yeah as I explained above that, I don't doubt pulp are playing in some capacity but unsure whether they are The Churnups...

6 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

Yeah as I explained above that, I don't doubt pulp are playing in some capacity but unsure whether they are The Churnups...

If Pulp aren’t The Churnups then I don’t think they’re gonna be playing at all. We know the Saturday Woodsies TBA is Hozier, we’ve been told the Friday Woodsies TBA is a smaller act and I can’t imagine they’re gonna do the Park again. It’s the Pyramid or not at all.

34 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

The top two Blur ones and the top Foos one are, for me, the only ones that make any sense. Everything else is tenuous at best, trying to find clues were there isn't one.

Even the top Foo Fighters one is an absolute reach - Churn was his producer Barrett's band that he occasionally provided instruments for, Grohl has no real stake in it, so of all the things they could call themselves -  to go with a reference to that?

I'd be more onboard if the explanation given was:

FF's new album is But Here We Are, a Churn is used to make butter;
"Hey Churnups is it a spreadable dairy product you are making?"
"Butter? We Are!"