Best advice for a newbie

Bestival-weather

46 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Baz Luhrmann was onto something: Sunscreen, and also maybe a hat and sunglasses are very important. Don't forget to reapply every couple of hours, and make sure you remember the back of your neck, ears, nose, etc. Sunburn can take the shine off an otherwise great week, besides the potential long term effects.

This - I suffered at Glasto 95, ended up going back to the tent half way through Oasis (who don't forget then, were MASSSIVE).  Hat/Brolly/Scarf the sun is relentless if its out!  

A few things, though I think it's important that you make it your own festival - the beauty of Glastonbury is that you do it your way!

As people have said, meet your neighbours and get to know them. They'll become friends for the few days and help you out if you need anything, watch your tent and provide tips/advice/suggestions that are usually very helpful.

Again, I'm not the first to say this but pack for all seasons. The weather can change very quickly - for good and bad. Comfortable shoes are a must. Avoid sandals, even good ones as you get woodchip stuck in them. Good socks too, and double-up

Hat and sunscreen. If it's hot and sunny, there are very few places to find relief on the main site. I ended up wedging myself behind an ice cream van to get the shadow in 2019 on that Friday! Oh, and HYDRATE! And not just with water, you lose a lot in sweat. I always have a Dioralyte sachet in the morning, to replace lost salts.

Take powerbanks rather than waste time queuing for chargers

PACE YOURSELF. Glastonbury is a damn mission. Getting too drunk/stoned/high too early is a recipe for disaster, and it is just no fun. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. And do be careful with drugs. Not condoning them, but if you are familiar with something, pace yourself. If you are not, it's not the place to experiment IMHO.

Along with that, ensure you eat at least one proper meal a day.

In terms of the lineup, someone once told me to pick four acts per day that you definitely want to see, and to just play the rest by ear. Go with friends to see something you wouldn't normally go to see. Check out something that others are chatting about. Or just wander into places. Unless it's a ridiculous lineup you won't get the most by hanging out at the biggest stages.

Check out the night time stuff but you do need to plan. It is often worth leaving the headliners early to get in, unless it is something blowing your mind. Generally, be prepared to queue though. They do move surprisingly quickly

Main thing is to smile, talk to people and be yourself. It is the best place on earth and you will have a fabulous time. I am a little envious of it being your first time - there is so much to see and it will blow your mind :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

Any recommendations for first night, first timer hang out/areas to visit?

Big bag of cans, and a fucking great big long walk around wherever takes your fancy! It’s not organised or comprehensive, but you’ll come across all sorts of interesting stuff 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 4:15 PM, Bestival-weather said:

Flying solo, never got tickets until this year so I am a virgin lol. 

Any tips for going there alone, meeting people or hanging out?

Have a look on line at glastoearth, Torts glastonbury guide. Page after  page of great advice, information and suggestions on everything associated with the festival. 

On 5/14/2023 at 4:15 PM, Bestival-weather said:

Flying solo, never got tickets until this year so I am a virgin lol. 

Any tips for going there alone, meeting people or hanging out?

Don't camp too close to the toilets.

After pitching your tent find the what3words location so you can find it again.

The information tents have a large scale map of the one in the program, these are very useful to navigate the site!

Take time out to people watch, Williams Green is a great place to grab something to eat and do this.

Loose yourself in the Greenfields.

And have a fantastic festival!! 🎊

Use what three words or something similar to mark your tent location. You’ll get lost a lot on your first couple days, always good to know you can make it to your camp field and find your tent 😆. your campsite area will change massively over the first day as more tents get rammed in. 

Too many times have I heard the next morning, I was walking for hours, then spent a life time finding my tent 🤣

But ultimately get some reference points for the weekend, at some point your battery will die so actually know where it is is important 😆.

11 hours ago, Andy Glasto Virgen said:

Any recommendations for first night, first timer hang out/areas to visit?

The areas East and South of the Other Stage are great for a Wednesday walk about. If you think of The Other Stage as centre of a clock, the areas between 2 o’clock and 7 o’clock are where I would spend Wednesday afternoon and night.

The new Woodsies area might be worth a look but it’s a bit out of the way and I think the number of options and variety on the other side of the site has the most to offer on Wednesday.

Whenever you’re sat down anywhere, just ask the person next to you how their festival is going. I’ve never met a single person who’s just said ‘ok’ & turned away - everyone is desperate to share their stories & you’ll find out so much that you haven’t found out yourself yet, & have a lovely chat for half an hour. 

• Upvote 4

Some repeats here, but this is works for me...

1. Get your wristband attached to the 'other' hand
  2. Hiking boots not wellies
  3. It will rain, so be prepared
  4. It will be very sunny, so be prepared
  5. It can get surprisingly cold at night so be prepared
  6. Get a large water carrier (say 5L) for the tent - fill once when you arrive, to save on queueing later.
  7. Lenor bottle
  8. Get a money belt - the ideal solution for cash, card and phone, especially for those that dance / mosh
  9. Don't use on-site charging. There's always a queue, and it takes far longer than it should. Power banks or a 'punishment phone' are the way to go.
  10. If you are not enjoying an act, leave. There will be something better elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Refill your water every time you pass a tap - or at least every other on your long walks.

Yeah, essential for the last few festivals.

Also toilets - if there isn't a queue, go even if you don't feel you need to!

If you need a sensory break, The Woods and the Green Fields are your best bet.

The area around West Holts and Greenpeace is great for hanging out (good food options in the area too) and just absorbing.

Wash your hands (with soap) and fill your water bottle at every opportunity.

Go to the Ridge and Furrow meet on Wed.

Hobo Jones at Avalon on Fri lunchtime is an excellent way to start the festival properly. Craig Charles at Truth on Friday afternoon is also a great place to hang out for a bit if you're between bands.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Use the toilets when you pass them too … maybe that’s an age thing though 🙂 

I always try to use them just before I get 'in position' for a band, or if you're watching from further back I usually try to stand near ish toilets so I don't miss too much of what I'm watching.