Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

1 minute ago, dirtysteve said:

Unpopular opinion; the ticket price is too low. They could charge £500 a ticket and it'd still be excellent value for money. It'd still sell out, too, and give an extra £20Million or so for the organisers to sink into the festival.

The demographic is already far from ideal, this would just push it further.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

Unpopular opinion; the ticket price is too low. They could charge £500 a ticket and it'd still be excellent value for money. It'd still sell out, too, and give an extra £20Million or so for the organisers to sink into the festival.

Allow reselling and let the market decide the price.

*Not my opinion.  But my Tory voting mate has suggested this.

5 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

And this kids is why we don't pee on tories when they're on fire 😂

• Upvote 5

Unpopular opinion; Brother Bar cider is rubbish.

In my early Glastonbury days going to west holts for that first pint of pear cider was something to look forward too.  Now I can barely stomach it.  Much prefer the cider bus cider or/and taking my own "bag in a box" farmhouse cider.

Not sure if I've just got more of a refined taste now or its just not up too much.  Shame as I used to really enjoy it.

Confession over.

1 hour ago, rebus said:

In my early Glastonbury days going to west holts for that first pint of pear cider was something to look forward too.  Now I can barely stomach it.  Much prefer the cider bus cider or/and taking my own "bag in a box" farmhouse cider.

Not sure if I've just got more of a refined taste now or its just not up too much.  Shame as I used to really enjoy it.

Confession over.

That ain't unpopular. It's fact. Brothers is alcoholic melted down  kids sweets and is barely cider.

Farm Cider > melted pear drops

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rebus said:

Confession over.

Not only is the cider rubbish, but the bar itself is the worst one on site. In fact, of ALL the on site bars, it’s the only one I wouldn’t be happy in. It’s total sh*t.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

9 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I know it’s not your idea, but this would be terrible. The market would decide, but the festival wouldn’t gain anything from it just individuals, but the knock on effect from that would be tons more people registering and trying for tickets who have no interest in going, because they could probably quadruple their money by selling them on. Getting tickets would become 10x harder, and the only people who would gain would be individuals who only got tickets so they could profit, at the expense of people who genuinely want to go.

A better idea (although it’s still bad and wouldn’t work) would be a halfway house between that and charging say £500 as suggested. Have tiered pricing on sale day, with ticket pricing going up to say £1000. Most people would go for the cheapest option, but those going for the £1000 option (or the £800 below it and so on) would  have far better odds and be more likely to get them. This way the festival gain from it and not individuals looking to flip their tickets.

But in reality that would still be awful.

2 hours ago, rebus said:

Confession over.

It was great when you could buy a 2 litre bottle of it and get steaming.  Didn't really care what the taste was like.

The standard pear is just about palatable.

The horrible sugar syrup additions they call flavour are just nasty.

2 hours ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

It was great when you could buy a 2 litre bottle of it and get steaming.  Didn't really care what the taste was like.

The standard pear is just about palatable.

The horrible sugar syrup additions they call flavour are just nasty.

Is there any good pear cider on site, then?

On 6/14/2023 at 9:46 AM, Boilingtent said:

Glastonbury is falling behind in terms of production value. Festivals like boomtown offer something genuinely exciting in 2023 and are capable of delivering it to a massive audience. 

On 6/14/2023 at 11:01 AM, bennyhana22 said:

Maybe so, and the BT build is incredible, but look at the line-up comparison. Last year, in particular, the BT line up contained, with respect, no-one that would attract a particularly significant fee - so more money for the build. The live act to DJ ratio at BT is so much smaller than Glastonbury, and so GFL low fees notwithstanding, BT have made a decision to provide an incredible production rather than spend 'too much' of their budget on artists. 

Ben

I don't really like comparing them as there's so many differences, but I will just point out that Glasto sold out in minutes as per usual and Boomtown still hasn't sold out so it's clearly not more exciting to everyone! 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don't really like comparing them as there's so many differences, but I will just point out that Glasto sold out in minutes as per usual and Boomtown still hasn't sold out so it's clearly not more exciting to everyone! 

I guess my point is that when you have seen BT the SE corner is suddenly not that impressive

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Not only is the cider rubbish, but the bar itself is the worst one on site. In fact, of ALL the on site bars, it’s the only one I wouldn’t be happy in. It’s total sh*t.

If you manage to get 'in' it, staff may throw you out. 

15 hours ago, rebus said:

agreed that Brothers cider is rubbish - although i still have a few over the weekend.

the thing that made the Brothers bar special was that back in the day it was the ONLY thing that opened on the wednesday (pretty sure that's right, from my admittedly not great memory, happy to be corrected) and making that the first stop of the festival was like a weird sickly sweet magical traditional way to start the festival.

the amount of times i would have a pint there - and then wake up the next morning basically wondering what the f**k happened for the past 24 hours!

so i do have a soft spot for the Brothers bar, and the days of the 2l bottles, but i guess these days i pretty much agree with the view of it being sh*t.

Just now, -TLR- said:

agreed that Brothers cider is rubbish - although i still have a few over the weekend.

the thing that made the Brothers bar special was that back in the day it was the ONLY thing that opened on the wednesday (pretty sure that's right, from my admittedly not great memory, happy to be corrected) and making that the first stop of the festival was like a weird sickly sweet magical traditional way to start the festival.

the amount of times i would have a pint there - and then wake up the next morning basically wondering what the f**k happened for the past 24 hours!

so i do have a soft spot for the Brothers bar, and the days of the 2l bottles, but i guess these days i pretty much agree with the view of it being sh*t.

There were other bars open on site, including the Cider Bus and a handful of the main bars, but Brothers had a pleasant large field to relax in with good food options at hand so was an obvious choice for many. Especially as they could then grab a 2L bottle to take back to camp or up to the Stone Circle or wherever was next.

I think also historically part of the allure is also that the Jazz World Stage used to absolutely take the piss with their soundchecking - they'd use their full allocated two hour window on the Thursday and often (unofficially) have a live band or two on. I know I saw Lamb play there on the Thursday one year. But apparently the council told them off over it - not certain but I think 2009 was the last time it happened.

Perhaps unpopular, perhaps not, but if I see one more tweet or screed of horseshit about a stage 'takeover' I'll take a very dim view of it. 😂 WTF a few folk on the same label is always a 'takeover' now JFC, FFS get a grip.

Edited by Breeze

27 minutes ago, Breeze said:

It is. The one served all over this year is made of apples. 

The post I was replying to referred to Brothers Bar Cider, don't they just sell the pear stuff there rather than the apple stuff they sell around the site?

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The post I was replying to referred to Brothers Bar Cider, don't they just sell the pear stuff there rather than the apple stuff they sell around the site?

Good question, not 100% sure but I think apple available at BB too? Pretty sure I saw a tweet on that from them but might have been a fever dream.

24 minutes ago, Boilingtent said:

I guess my point is that when you have seen BT the SE corner is suddenly not that impressive

I understand your point, but that's all Boomtown is really.  It's much more of a one trick pony than Glasto.

23 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

It's already too middle-class as it is.

No much you can do about this, stuff is expensive. Festival requires a lot of stuff.

Shambala are trying some kind of pay it forward scheme, where you can leave a donation when buying tickets, that can then go on to give a discount to those on a lower income, this would be insanely complicated on a Glastonbury scale. 

52 minutes ago, stuie said:

I understand your point, but that's all Boomtown is really.  It's much more of a one trick pony than Glasto.

It depends what you class as the one trick pony I guess, If you class production in general as a one trick pony, then fine, but I believe BT change the theme every year, so the production itself changes year on year, so not really a one trick pony in that respect.

Things change very slowly in the SE corner, the instillations tend to hang round for at least 10 years and there would be some back to back years when you’d be hard pressed to see any changes. 

Edited by Jose Pose