Avalon 2023

stuie

I do find it quite funny that they've add '- from the Specials' to Neville Staple's row. Why did they do this but not for Jake Shears - from Scissor Sisters, or Mel C - from the Spice Girls?

What's the length one can draw from previous bands' material as well? Mel C's average setlist has her only doing two Spice G's songs. Neville is the opposite and plays hardly any of his own songs.

55 minutes ago, Neil said:

my tip from the avalon line-up is elvana , who are great fun and do nivana brilliantly.

They fucking blew the roof off last night in the Holmfirth Picturedrome. I moshed like a man approaching 50 has no right to. I loved it. I’m now hungover and broken.

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Intimidation for holding political views creates such a wonderful atmosphere. 

If people are intimidated by chants of fuck the Tories, that’s on them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

If people are intimidated by chants of fuck the Tories, that’s on them. 

Making people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome isn't what Glasto should be about. And it's on them to not feel intimidated when they're in a crowd of thousands and everyone would shout at them if they admitted they voted Tory?

Saying that it's "on them", I mean, would you say the same if the BNP go up and scream "Go home" at immigrants?

Hate shouldn't have a home at Glastonbury.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Making people feel uncomfortable and unwelcome isn't what Glasto should be about. And it's on them to not feel intimidated when they're in a crowd of thousands and everyone would shout at them if they admitted they voted Tory?

Saying that it's "on them", I mean, would you say the same if the BNP go up and scream "Go home" at immigrants?

Hate shouldn't have a home at Glastonbury.

Quite right! This is a festival of love and peace… not a place where one should feel uncomfortable for whomever they vote for!

21 hours ago, dreams_burn_down said:

I'd guess at Laura Mvula being one of the headliners. She certainly wouldn't feel out of place on a bigger stage.

Laura Mvula is someone I'm always amazed never really broke through properly given how good the music is, and how skilled a performer she is

Anything but headliner would be massive shame

Just now, Alcatraz said:

Laura Mvula is someone I'm always amazed never really broke through properly given how good the music is, and how skilled a performer she is

Anything but headliner would be massive shame

The song Grey Gardens aside, her early work didn't really grab me. 

But then on her last album she made a successful stab at turning into Prince and - if it wasn't for the fact she'll no doubt clash with various other unmissable shit - I'd be down for checking her out.

4 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Couldnt agree more.

thats why we shout loud & proud fuck the tories!

Tories are by definition full of hate 

Yeah absolutely and It’s pretty clear it’s a left leaning festival and always has been . If you aren’t happy with that and those choices it probably a place I’d not recommend for you … that’s the very reason I love it plenty more ( not all ) likeminded people than in day to day life .  

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people are conflating different topics here.

I've voted 5x Labour and 3x Lib Dems in General Elections. I've also voted 1x Conservatives.

Politics isn't and shouldn't be about nailing your colours to a mast and hating the other side and always voting one way no matter what. Politics is malleable. It changes depending on the situation. There's nuance to it based on a changing set of variables.

I don't think it's "snowflake" (It's a bingo!) to be turned off at comments like "we should remind Tories at the festival to keep a low-profile" and othering them. What is the purpose of othering people unless you're trying to intimidate them into submission??

And just because Glasto is a left leaning festival doesn't mean that it's open season on making others unwelcome unless they also agree with all the politics of Labour at that time. If you agree with that rationale, then don't complain when others use it to discriminate as well.

If anything, I would welcome a conversation with people of a different view and try and convince them of my ideas, rather than just yelling childish insults around like "Fuck the Tories".

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yeah absolutely and It’s pretty clear it’s a left leaning festival and always has been . If you aren’t happy with that and those choices it probably a place I’d not recommend for you … that’s the very reason I love it plenty more ( not all ) likeminded people than in day to day life .  

Glasto is only a place if you agree with the current Labour manifesto?

Wow.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Glasto is only a place if you agree with the current Labour manifesto?

I mean no … but you need to go there on the understanding it’s the way the festival / it’s owners lean and if that’s uncomfortable there might be more suitable festivals out there that fit peoples ethos