What is your arrival strategy ?

Crazyfool01

30 minutes ago, Derby_Dave said:

I guess if you had purchased an east quiet ticket they would be space somewhere.  There has to be some that don’t turn up till Thursday I guess.

I really couldn’t say there will be someone on here who knows the system better.

I’m not convinced that they open all night for caravan/camper entry either.

Sorry can’t be more help.

No problem, thanks I appreciate the reply. I may go down earlier and book the Tuesday off work too. 

Having accidently not booked a bus until too late this year and getting in late because of it (Didnt really work out poorly as still got a decent spot) I have booked my National Express from London nice and early this year.

Although quite how I´m going to get to Stratford for 3:30am is yet to be seen.

As a lot of my friends are now apparently posh toffs and use WV theres only one or two of us who need to set up tents so its actually become much easier to set up. At least compared to when we were young/cheap and needed space for 6 tents.

Taking my Daughter for first time next year, will only be the two of us so not needing a massive space or anything. I was thinking of Worthy View or Sticklinch but I don't fancy paying those prices! We will probably arrive Thursday late morning so assume Cockmill family camping will be full by then, Wickets still OK at that time of arrival?

2 minutes ago, Essex_George said:

Taking my Daughter for first time next year, will only be the two of us so not needing a massive space or anything. I was thinking of Worthy View or Sticklinch but I don't fancy paying those prices! We will probably arrive Thursday late morning so assume Cockmill family camping will be full by then, Wickets still OK at that time of arrival?

Yeah wickets normally have space, I think the only thing people don't realise is the fact it's family camping so can be a family of adults rather then parent and children who are actual children camping 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Essex_George said:

Wickets will be your best bet loss of space, plus they have some smaller compost loos for children. The gate is manned and the do ask why you are going in if you don’t have children with you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Yeah wickets normally have space, I think the only thing people don't realise is the fact it's family camping so can be a family of adults rather then parent and children who are actual children camping 

I don't think that is the case, or hasn't been in the past. The whole point is that there isn't a load of adults camping without kids in there. I would say 16 or so should be the limit if no special needs.

5 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Wicket is supposed to be families with kids only, although they do seem to let others in on occasion.

We had a two old men camped right next to us last year with no kids. They were fine apart from the fact that they were both deaf as posts and very early risers, so we had to endure them practically shouting at each other at about 7am every morning ("Oi, JIM!", "WHAT?" etc.).

I have seen other groups with no kids being kicked out, but usually only if they're being dicks, like one group a few years back who were being very loud and lairy into the early hours, then started screaming "SHUT THE f**k UP" at about 5am because there was a baby crying for a few minutes. They were forced out by security a few hours later.

There was still lots of room in the north western part of Wicket Ground all the way through the festival. It seems to shrink slightly every year and it wouldn't surprise me if it shrinks again in 2024. Ten years ago there was enough room to play a proper game of football in Wicket Ground, even on Saturday.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this....just speaking with who I'm going with this year about car park tickets.

We've got four of us travelling together, trying to think if going in one car is achievable?.....my VW Golf hatchback is what's being suggested to drive down in (which is new enough that you can move the boot further down for more space) .... obviously we can all fit in it, but just wondering if four people + kit will overload the car a bit too much? 

Anyone got experience of being on the fence of 1 or 2 cars?

Edited by gooner1990

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Bumping this....just speaking with who I'm going with this year about car park tickets.

We've got four of us travelling together, trying to think if going in one car is achievable?.....my VW Golf (which is new enough that you can move the boot further down for more space) .... obviously we can all fit in it, but just wondering if four people + kit will overload the car a bit too much? 

To me that reads like a struggle although we have done it before but a much shorter journey . 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

To me that reads like a struggle although we have done it before but a much shorter journey . 

Yeh....I think it might be a bit too much, I've taken three of us in my car before which fits fine because you end up folding down the other seat and using that too.

That said me and one other are quite 'light' travellers as we do a lot of festivals....it would save a lot of cost in terms of fuel and car park ticket....but I don't want 2+ hours of people uncomfortable in my car!

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Yeh....I think it might be a bit too much, I've taken three of us in my car before which fits fine because you end up folding down the other seat and using that too.

That said me and one other are quite 'light' travellers as we do a lot of festivals....it would save a lot of cost in terms of fuel and car park ticket....but I don't want 2+ hours of people uncomfortable in my car!

Theres 4 of us and we are doing 2 cars .... we do probably bring a bit more kit than you mind 🙂 ... also if you get a 2016 type situation a bit of room does help a little 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Theres 4 of us and we are doing 2 cars .... we do probably bring a bit more kit than you mind 🙂 ... also if you get a 2016 type situation a bit of room does help a little 

I have main rucksack (usually with tent inside or clipped on), carrier bag with boots, carrier bag with snacks, cocktails and ciders and my camping chair, other mate usually brings similar.

Guess it depends on how light the other two pack.

14 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We've got four of us travelling together, trying to think if going in one car is achievable?.....my VW Golf hatchback is what's being suggested to drive down in (which is new enough that you can move the boot further down for more space) .... obviously we can all fit in it, but just wondering if four people + kit will overload the car a bit too much? 

how long is the journey?

Will you have trolleys or loads of cans to bring?

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

how long is the journey?

Will you have trolleys or loads of cans to bring?

live near oxford so about 2 hours with no traffic 

no trolleys,  i think one or two will bring cans, but i've shifted to bringing cocktails these days, less bulk, less trips to the toilet and more punch!

24 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Could be a struggle, we have three in a similar size car and use one of the back seats for one rucksack and a few other bits as the boot is full. 

2 tents, 12-15 crates of beer, 3 backpacks, folded trolley. Just remembered camping chairs too.

Edited by Gnomicide

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Could be a struggle, we have three in a similar size car and use one of the back seats for one rucksack and a few other bits as the boot is full. 

2 tents, 12-15 crates of beer, 3 backpacks, folded trolley. Just remembered camping chairs too.

I don't think we will have anything over 2 crates of lager or a trolley.

First few fests we went down in a Ford Focus.  3 blokes, 1 sack barrow, 3 rucksacks, quite a big tent to carry and about 4/5 trays of booze.  The car was packed at that.  With a 4th person and more gear it would have been impossible.

These days it's just me & Mrs 4AM, however we do still have a big rucksack each and loads of booze, plus a 4 wheel garden trolley, a 4 person tent, cool box, camp chairs and sometimes take bits for others too.

19 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I don't think we will have anything over 2 crates of lager or a trolley.

Maybe you'll be ok. Can you do a test? It would save you the extra car park fee and petrol.

52 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

4 people in a small car like that? It'd be wildly uncomfortable even if you all pack light.

You won't come close to fitting everything in the boot, so you'll need to have a seat folded down and almost certainly bags on laps / at feet.

Need to either use a bigger car, or a second car.