Other Opener 2023

Superscally

2 hours ago, e2p2 said:

I much prefer seeing him in a tent like Woodsies and he does not fit the booking and the expectations of this slot in recent years, but I'll take what I can. He's tremendous live but he needs the right setting, hopefully he will win some of you over🙂

Saw him on the pyramid and he was very good. 

Shame he doesn’t seem to play what you’d class as the big hits anymore

2 hours ago, e2p2 said:

I much prefer seeing him in a tent like Woodsies and he does not fit the booking and the expectations of this slot in recent years, but I'll take what I can. He's tremendous live but he needs the right setting, hopefully he will win some of you over🙂

going to be a bit of a snoozefest, that slot doesnt attract the best of crowds even for more energetic acts

As the token Ben Howard apologist on this forum, I genuinely welled up a bit at the thought of seeing him open Glasto for me this year. I do think he'll play some more of his more popular stuff too, he's subheadlining (I think?) Boardmasters this year, so I can't see him being booked a slot that high on the sea to play his modern experimental indie folk.

I Forget Where We Were is potentially my favourite album of all time, I hold it very, very dearly, and I would love it if some people on this forum took the time to give it a listen. It's a perfect blend of shoegaze and folk, with lil flourishes of indie rock, and is a great example of how you can keep an accessible sound whilst experimenting with genre. Songs like Conrad, Time is Dancing, and End of the Affair are, in my opinion, perfect, and it would bring me great joy if even one person here listened to them and enjoyed x

That being said, he could play Only Love, Keep Your Head Up, or anything else from the debut, and I'd be happy too

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I’m finding the mornings stacked! Just a few examples:

sixsters // Star Feminine Band > hives

Say she she // Rick Astley // last dinner party // Max Richter > Kanda bongo Man

sophie ellis bextor 

rammo

These are possibilities for me, rather than must sees. Will call it in the AM each day I think! 

7 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

As the token Ben Howard apologist on this forum, I genuinely welled up a bit at the thought of seeing him open Glasto for me this year. I do think he'll play some more of his more popular stuff too, he's subheadlining (I think?) Boardmasters this year, so I can't see him being booked a slot that high on the sea to play his modern experimental indie folk.

I Forget Where We Were is potentially my favourite album of all time, I hold it very, very dearly, and I would love it if some people on this forum took the time to give it a listen. It's a perfect blend of shoegaze and folk, with lil flourishes of indie rock, and is a great example of how you can keep an accessible sound whilst experimenting with genre. Songs like Conrad, Time is Dancing, and End of the Affair are, in my opinion, perfect, and it would bring me great joy if even one person here listened to them and enjoyed x

That being said, he could play Only Love, Keep Your Head Up, or anything else from the debut, and I'd be happy too

His first two albums are fantastic, not sure whether he plays much off those albums these days. I fear the set will be a bit dull unless he plays some of the more energetic and well known tracks off those records.

6 hours ago, doomdays said:

Ben hasn't played Only Love or Keep Your Head Up publicly since about 2015. He played Only Love at a wedding in October, but it's incredibly unlikely he'll play them at Glastonbury. I'd love to be wrong though

Wow, crazy bold to have one successful album in your career and then refuse to play any of the hits from it. Honestly good on him, but that is an odd choice.

21 minutes ago, RatingsAndMoney said:

I did think to myself I’d be happy to watch Ben Howard’s set from afar knowing a couple of his tunes. Looked at setlists to see he plays none of said tunes... A lot of disappointed casual attendees I would think. 

It's a tricky one since, unlike quite a few Other openers, he's still in the upward phase of his career (creatively), rather than trading on past glories/being something of a nostalgia act. 

How many 'big name' Other openers had a new record coming out a week before the set? Ben's is out in 2 days...

So, yes, this might feel 'different' to the more recent model of Other opener. 

Ben*

(*not that one)

Edited by bennyhana22

It's an odd choice. As he is bigger than a standard first act on the other stage but doesn't fall into nostalgic hits acts. 

So my guess is they've booked him without really knowing about what sort of sets he plays this days. He's not played the big hits for about 10 years. It will be nothing like his Pyramid set of 2013 for example. 

Chilled acts never really work on the other stage though and Ben's last few albums have been very quiet/ impressionistic songs (critically rated very high nonetheless).

Can just see it being drowned out by the Silver Hayes and Glade.  

Another waste of a set/ act in this slot in my opinion. It should either be a fun covers act (like biggest ones around) or just drop the thing. 

1 hour ago, RatingsAndMoney said:

I did think to myself I’d be happy to watch Ben Howard’s set from afar knowing a couple of his tunes. Looked at setlists to see he plays none of said tunes... A lot of disappointed casual attendees I would think. 

I think it was James who rechristened the Friday morning slot the 'A lot of disappointed casual attendees' slot.

2 hours ago, Dave_c said:

His first two albums are fantastic, not sure whether he plays much off those albums these days. I fear the set will be a bit dull unless he plays some of the more energetic and well known tracks off those records.

He still regularly plays most songs off IFWWW, but he usually only does 1 or 2 a night, most likely either the title track, Time is Dancing, or Conrad on this tour. Pretty sure the only songs he ever plays from the debut are Black Flies and Promise, which tbf, are both great songs

35 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I think it was James who rechristened the Friday morning slot the 'A lot of disappointed casual attendees' slot.

That set would have been fine if 1) it hadn't been delayed 45 mins by 10 tons of sawdust being dumped on the swamp at the front of the stage and 2) people knowing in advance that they weren't getting Sit Down

49 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

He still regularly plays most songs off IFWWW, but he usually only does 1 or 2 a night, most likely either the title track, Time is Dancing, or Conrad on this tour. Pretty sure the only songs he ever plays from the debut are Black Flies and Promise, which tbf, are both great songs

They are great songs but to keep energy up for a Friday morning set in the sun he would need to be playing keep your head up, only love, the wolves, the fear etc, which I don't think he will. I'll be there regardless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

They are great songs but to keep energy up for a Friday morning set in the sun he would need to be playing keep your head up, only love, the wolves, the fear etc, which I don't think he will. I'll be there regardless.

Agree on both points, though I do genuinely think he might play one (or two, pls?) of those hits. I just can't see him playing that slot and Boardmasters sub if he's going to play experimental indie folk.