Whats your absolute ESSENTIAL GADGET / NEW THING you'll be bringing?

Jacko45

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've been looking around for those hydration tablets, I can't remember if it was on this thread or another... They were some kind of sports science or other tablets that a few posters were raving about? Adding them to my festival hangover kit, but the ol' Google is flooded with different brands and diff levels of reputation for getting the job done.

Any help?

I use Nuun sport

https://www.everyhealth.com/nuun-sport-variety-pack/14261318.html

Sorted me out when I had some heat stroke back in 2019 but good for hangovers too

8 hours ago, Peter_Quaife said:

Ha! I've just be googling the very same product tonight and have added a few into my basket. We took tubes of ORS to the Shiiine On three dayer and tbh they definitely took the edge off. Next day functionality levels were higher. 

A few articles I read online comparing different electrolyte tabs etc had Liquid IV Hydration as their number 1 and it gets a good rating on Amazon 

Just checked on Amazon about the Liquid IV ones, and blimey!, the top grade product is well expensive. The multiplier one, whatever that means. Multiple levels of hyrdration!?

At least they understand who's searching for them and advertise people who are just looking for a pick me up after getting trashed. One of the product pics is some fairly generic festival goers and the translation reads "The first thing, what you drink after drinking". Ha. They know their market! 

image.png.63c84ed50320b8013f5124c5ab5b5196.png

8 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

1/2 teaspoon of table salt and six teaspoons of sugar in 1 litre of water. The perfect rehydration mix. Same effect as the brand names.  

Miraculous results. 

If sceptical, Google it. 

This is worth remembering. 

I Googled it because I was a little sceptical, but it's backed by the WHO.

image.png.01639efe9990c4c894d3bea57fad0302.png

Well I'll be damned. Just popped to the kitchen to try it out...

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I Googled it because I was a little sceptical, but it's backed by the WHO.

image.png.01639efe9990c4c894d3bea57fad0302.png

Well I'll be damned. Just popped to the kitchen to try it out...

Salt definitely important, that's basically what those SIS tablets do for rehydration is bring your salt levels back up which is why they are better than just water alone for rehydration 

Used them recently for marathon training and would 100% recommend them they work great

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

SIS also make energy gel packs - ASDA has them for about a pound each.  I took a stack last year and found them brilliant for when your flagging or can't be arsed queueing for food and your blood sugar is getting low.  Taking more this year.

These are great, use them when running. 

Orange flavour the best, lime tastes like ass.

12 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Think it was something other than Berocca. Think I found it. 

This - 

image.png.c588f6b1da246de8e1e88ce20fd8e27f.png

I've got a giant tub of SIS for cycling. It might be slightly different to the tablets. But I do also use it for hangover prevention. It works pretty well. As others have said, it's essentially sugar and electrolytes. I often pair it with a banana as well. I just use 75% of the mixing strength they recommend as the 100% can be a bit sickly.

PXL_20230427_074540006.jpg

the SIS things, rehydration salts and the energy gel doodahs, are very regularly in Lidl on special offer. 

in other news the farts i get off the energy gels are absolutely spectacularly unpleasant in pitch, volume and odour. Had a crack of them on an ultra hike i did a couple of years back and bloody hell, it gave me a burst of energy just to distance myself from the other hikers 😬 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, worthyraver said:

I have one of these which I actual bought from a recommendation on here before last years festival.

ISOTHERMAL BACKPACK 20L

I should imagine it would leak though 😞

Most I have come across have been fairly poor quality and end up leaking.

May just opt for Quechua, maybe put a dry bag inside🤔

I have their portable cooler, that is waterproof, but it too big to lug around in the day, great for the tent though

3 hours ago, worthyraver said:

2 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Wow that's priceyyyy, nearly YETI Price

Pricey but highly desirable!  We manage to achieve cold cans of lager until Monday with 2 x Coleman Xtremes, a large one in the car and a smaller one for the tent.  Couple of beer runs and sorted.

2 hours ago, worthyraver said:

I have one of these which I actual bought from a recommendation on here before last years festival.

ISOTHERMAL BACKPACK 20L

I should imagine it would leak though 😞

I had one of these and it wasn't very good. Leaks and doesn't keep stuff cool for very long. Also pretty uncomfortable when full. I hope you have more joy with it though.

https://www.kellykettle.com/camping-kettles/stainless-steel/medium-scout-kelly-kettle-sst-1-2-ltr

This is the dogs, boils water with so little fuel, a few sticks, wooden knives and forks, a few scraps of cardboard or paper what ever you have to hand.... and it boils it so fast, it's great for a cuppa in the morning, you can also get a kit that turns it into a full on stove to cook on top of it but we don't have that so I cant speak as to how it works, but as a kettle I've never seen better in a field..... 

re: beer holder chat, I just made my own for last year.

hole saw in some spare thin ply I had left over from something, tape round the edge to make it micer to hold. not botherd if I lost them:

image.thumb.png.98fbd7829ec3a77d3ecf18b98aec53e8.png

image.thumb.png.6affdb607edbf1a64e843f7107e6e4cf.png

worked very well 🙂

Edited by paulshane
  • Upvote 3