Line Up Announced

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

He also played West Holts on the same day.

Lizzo was great last time, had a blast. As for GnR, what can possibly go wrong? Personally I'm not arsed about how Axl sounds, it's all about Slash and Duff. Hopefully a shorter than 3 hours set to cut out some of the guff but I'm genuinely excited for it.

I'm definitely up for GnR in principle as they've got some great tunes and enjoyed them last time I saw them (years ago, without Slash).  It's more about whether I'll be tempted elsewhere, but we'll see. I'm not going to commit to any headliners 100% yet. It'll be a fun show I think, though.

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm definitely up for GnR in principle as they've got some great tunes and enjoyed them last time I saw them (years ago, without Slash).  It's more about whether I'll be tempted elsewhere, but we'll see. I'm not going to commit to any headliners 100% yet. It'll be a fun show I think, though.

Not even Hot Chip in the big tent…?

12 hours ago, Skip997 said:

So can someone recommend some Lizzo tunes for me to check out?

As "bangery" as possible (in the Skip meaning of the word)

And how lively is this Rina Sawayama lass?

From what you say of your tastes you might like Lizzo’s earlier stuff. More hip hop influenced. Batches & Cookies is a personal fave but not sure it features in the current live show.

Working through some of the acts I’m unfamiliar with on Spotify. Nova Twins are a big tick from me. I’m 6 songs into a shuffled playlist and have loved every one so far. Straight into the must see column.

On the other hand, Warpaint and Maneskin can both do one. 

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Working through some of the acts I’m unfamiliar with on Spotify. Nova Twins are a big tick from me. I’m 6 songs into a shuffled playlist and have loved every one so far. Straight into the must see column.

On the other hand, Warpaint and Maneskin can both do one. 

I’d not heard of Nova Twins until yesterday and I love the few tracks I’ve listened to on Spotify. 

Not the most exciting of the last decade but that's mainly because of how many I have seen before (and at Glastonbury). Candi Staton and Carly Rae syand out, plus I was already excited for GnR and Lizzo.

My take on the 4th headliner thing is that if you are going to claim that, Lizzo should have been the 2nd name on the poster accompanied by the statement of it being headline length. it doesn't really make any practical difference but (having done a few European fests) I don't think the last act should necessarily be the biggest anyway. I'll see both but if all goes according to plan I'll REALLY enjoy and remember Lizzo then be a mess by the time GNR are on so will care less if their bangers aren't spot on.

Can't remember the last time I was so equally excited for the top two on the Pyramid tbh.

Edited by DJL

20 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

West Holts changed from Jazzworld 13 years ago and has kept its identity fine.

Has it? Is Bicep a Jazzworld-type act?!

Maybe my memory is failing, but it always felt like stages/tents had an identity.

Didn't John Peel used to be for up and coming acts? Last year it included Charli XCX again (now five albums in) and Primal Scream

See also: McFly on the Avalon Stage. Etc etc

I've heard most stages/tents have their own booking agents now (?), which would explain the weird programming.

32 minutes ago, Furq said:

Has it? Is Bicep a Jazzworld-type act?!

Maybe my memory is failing, but it always felt like stages/tents had an identity.

Didn't John Peel used to be for up and coming acts? Last year it included Charli XCX again (now five albums in) and Primal Scream

See also: McFly on the Avalon Stage. Etc etc

I've heard most stages/tents have their own booking agents now (?), which would explain the weird programming.

I think they’ve evolved and personally I prefer it. West Holts is a great stage and has suited the likes of Bicep, Hot Chip, Justice etc more than any other stage would at the time.

I think there are still links between stages and genres but prefer the flexibility. Some years there may be no classic Disco Funk Soul or Hip Hop West Holts headliner size acts touring, other years there may be three. Some years there may be several up and coming John Peel headliners, other years they may be suited to more prominent slots on, say, the Park and someone like Primal Scream headline a tent? 

17 hours ago, TGCarr said:

God Kano would be a dream for this line up. Shame no news on a potential album

I heard a few weeks back that his next album would be more 'Jamaica inspired' and that unfortunately he hasn't started writing yet... 

15 hours ago, Skip997 said:

So can someone recommend some Lizzo tunes for me to check out?

As "bangery" as possible (in the Skip meaning of the word)

And how lively is this Rina Sawayama lass?

I'm a little trepidatious cos I dunno what your version of bangers might be but you've almost certainly have heard Truth Hurts, Good As Hell, 2 be Loved and Juice inadvertantly.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Good As Hell isn't a banger then nothing is.

Strong agree. And on the subject of pop bangers, really liking Rina Sawayama. XS and Frankenstein slap hard.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Forgot how much I love Allt J...started listening to them again and now I'm like..."why did they go off my radar?!" So i'm now really looking forward to them!

Where do you think they'll be?

really hoping for that early evening sunset slot on an open air stage, my best guess would be Other (unsure on what knowledge we have, but subbing saturday would be an awesome slot to have them in 

edit: i would very much prefer the friday as going from being a little bit wonked at alt-j and having to head to GnR seems like a fever dream 

Edited by Obiginnaw

9 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

really hoping for that early evening sunset slot on an open air stage, my best guess would be Other (unsure on what knowledge we have, but subbing saturday would be an awesome slot to have them in 

edit: i would very much prefer the friday as going from being a little bit wonked at alt-j and having to head to GnR seems like a fever dream 

Subbing other on Saturday would be the WOORRRSSST possible slot as that would clash with Lizzo! Lizzo would win unfortunately .... 😭

So yes...subbing other on Friday works MUCH better 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

6 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Subbing other on Saturday would be the WOORRRSSST possible slot as that would clash with Lizzo! Lizzo would win unfortunately .... 😭

yeahhh i can't see them headlining park or WH (although i'd be all over that like a rash) think they're too big. too big to go before capaldi on Saturday i think , so clashing with Royal Blood seems pretty reasonable in my head 

On 3/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, ZooScrapbook said:

Like others are saying though, if Lizzo isn’t big enough to headline, why have they listed her as a headliner in the poster? It seems they want it both ways, and this is where the main issue is for me. The 3 actual headliners sends off a poor message IMO.

Doesn't help that the Sunday Legend - which often gets touted as a "fourth headliner" is also in the white / male / dude category either.