Vodafone

Crazyfool01

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

wouldn't if they used EE, ee was fantastic last year acessible all the time from everywhere i went on site.

I assumed that "comms issues" meant something more than simply mobile coverage.

I don't know who's responsible for exactly what, but it's always sounded like the contract with EE contained more than simply enhanced mobile signal.

2 hours ago, deschwah said:

Crew had massive comms issues last year and this is probably a result of that

vodafone has been very good for me over recent years 

Is that why a load of the card machines were down at the bars last year? We tried a few bars and they were not taking card due to wifi issues so think this could be something to do with it as you imply 

30 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Is that why a load of the card machines were down at the bars last year? We tried a few bars and they were not taking card due to wifi issues so think this could be something to do with it as you imply 

general site phone reception and wifi for bars are very different things, and while EE might have done both, its pure speculation. Doing site infrastucture for the bars / traders / stages etc is almost certainly done inhouse by the festival.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, paulshane said:

general site phone reception and wifi for bars are very different things, and while EE might have done both, its pure speculation. Doing site infrastucture for the bars / traders / stages etc is almost certainly done inhouse by the festival.

Yes both different, but it's not done, in-house, it's contracted out. 

• 1 month later...

Not sure if it's an indication of how much more data intensive people's phone use is or if there's a problem in the area, but the 84 billion people who seem to have descended on the Lake District for Easter weekend have ground the local mobile networks to a crawl. Don't think I've ever seen it like this before. They usually cope ok with the increases in people but everyone is saying it's bad, on all networks. I'm on Vodafone which is usually pretty good around here, we've even got 5g in town, but man it's slow at the moment.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I've never used the app.

Does it need phone signal to work?

Hard to say as it will be a completely new one this year now VF have the contract. From memory the EE one didn’t need signal to browse the lineup but did to locate you on the map, which is pretty pointless when you know where you are anyway.

1 minute ago, t0paz said:

Hard to say as it will be a completely new one this year now VF have the contract. From memory the EE one didn’t need signal to browse the lineup but did to locate you on the map, which is pretty pointless when you know where you are anyway.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

I also just popped in the O2 shop yesterday and converted to eSim. It only took 5 mins, and then all up and working.

Just need to see what Vodafone/partner PAYG option is best value now

If you get a Vodafone PAYG SIM from them for free in the post, it's only £10 for 7GB data + unlimited calls and texts, which is more than enough for the festival.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vodafone deal is more a branding one than anything else - we may find that the 'new' app is built by the same people as the EE one, but just red & white rather than blue and yellow.. 

Anyway, for those who are on a main network that doesn't support esim, it turns out Vodafone will let you convert a Pay As You Go sim to esim. Follow this link and request it https://www.vodafone.co.uk/webcenter/portal/myvodafone/simswap.

You can then, if you want, port that new esim to Voxi. 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the mast network convinces me that the coverage is going to be good for voda ..... 

they could be the masts for any network as all networks put temporary masts in.

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

they could be the masts for any network as all networks put temporary masts in.

they could be yep but some of the ones on the webcam seem significantly bigger and in different locations to previous .... not quite sure how it all works though as obviously as the main provider vodaphone will be investing more than usual 

I presume the locations are specified by the festival after discussion with the phone networks I guess and it might be that EE decided to upgrade their systems as they reportedly struggled at times last year.

• 1 month later...

What’s people’s thoughts on the Vodafone signal this year. 

As a trader having decent connectivity is critical. 

We changed to VF from EE on our 4G Routers for this year. Did some testing from when we arrived on the Sunday and VF seemed ok, no better than EE, we took the EE SIMs just in case. 

By Tuesday VF was truly awful and swapped back to EE and used those throughout the festival with no connectivity issues whatsoever. 

Did give VF a go on the Saturday just to see if any improvements and quickly returned to EE. 

I'm on 3, which has been absolutely appalling at the festival for years. This time it was better. Next to nothing at the tent in the morning (Pains) but it then would work sporadically and in different locations. 

I don't spend much time looking at my phone while at the festival but did occasionally while waiting for acts to come on, particularly if on my own. It would weirdly work perfectly fine in the Pyramid field or Acoustic, I'd then try again a little later and nothing. Last year I could only get a signal at the top of T&C, this year I got nothing there.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Vodafone/3 merger.