SHANGRI-LA IS SEEKING ARTISTS, MAKERS, PERFORMERS AND CREATIVES TO JOIN US AT THIS YEAR'S GLASTONBURY FESTIVAL.

Yoghurt on a Stick

2 hours ago, leath02 said:

Feels very tight that tickets aren't guaranteed as part of a successful submission... I've designed and built installations are multiple festivals now and tickest are always part of the package... Very unrewarding if you were to design and build something and then not get to see people expeiernce it in the environment it was designed for.... 

TBF it does say 'depending on the installation'. Someone submitting a few sculptures would probably rather they were shown than there be some bar of only showing sets of stuff stuff that warrant a ticket. Means they can get more artists stuff out there and more exposure for them - perhaps resulting in commissions. Hopefully there is good documentation on artist and how to contact them on site. 

Good luck @Yoghurt on a Stick! Like it all but Lobster is hilarious (critical the title is on display lol).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I love these, Yog! Very on-brand for the south east corner.

Reminds me of some of the outsider art pieces in a gallery I visited in Lausanne, Switzerland. "Art Brut" is my favourite style. The most creative and non-pretentious, in my opinion.

That's it - I want your babies! Seriously though, thank you for those kind words. I like the Art Brut genre too, although rarely delve into others art. I haven't had the time to do much art recently - too many life pressures to get into the zone.

I went to a place which sounded like Lausanne, and was in Switzerland, when I was about 16. It was a settlement up a mountain. And every now and again I try to find out it's name, but simply can't find it. You'd think it would be simple with the internet. That's it, this has forced the issue - I'm going to email a mate that I went with. I MUST know the name of that place.

This was the last piece that I did. I bought the frame and jigsaw (yes, that's a large jigsaw within the frame. I then applied what I wanted to appear on it. It's no 2 of a trilogy. That's my black socked foot you can see in the foreground - that gives you scale.IMG_1619.thumb.JPG.ff18f75b2e1c887bafa134ff71bcd144.JPG

2 hours ago, leath02 said:

Feels very tight that tickets aren't guaranteed as part of a successful submission... .. 

I thoroughly agree with that sentiment. However, I think it says somewhere else that they do give tickets out. It's on another bit of blurb that I didn't post as I was having an IT induced brain haemorrhage at the time.

28 minutes ago, Breeze said:

TBF it does say 'depending on the installation'. Someone submitting a few sculptures would probably rather they were shown than there be some bar of only showing sets of stuff stuff that warrant a ticket. Means they can get more artists stuff out there and more exposure for them - perhaps resulting in commissions. Hopefully there is good documentation on artist and how to contact them on site. 

Good luck @Yoghurt on a Stick! Like it all but Lobster is hilarious (critical the title is on display lol).

Thanks Breeze./

I'll not the lobster advice, and act on it.

No cash support and no guaranteed ticket... and they only AIM to cover the cost of all materials and expenses... So there's a chance you could actually end up out of pocket and essentially just gifting your work to Shangri-la?

Fuck that man. Like I get Glastonbury is the culmination of many artists pulling together to deliver something phenomenal, and that budgets are tight across the entire festival... but yikes. Artists should at least get some fair compensation for their work if they don't even get to see their work in situ.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FrancisH said:

No cash support and no guaranteed ticket... and they only AIM to cover the cost of all materials and expenses... So there's a chance you could actually end up out of pocket and essentially just gifting your work to Shangri-la?

Fuck that man. Like I get Glastonbury is the culmination of many artists pulling together to deliver something phenomenal, and that budgets are tight across the entire festival... but yikes. Artists should at least get some fair compensation for their work if they don't even get to see their work in situ.

Pretty common tbh, none of the festivals I've designed and built for have paid for the work, they cover the costs of materials and you have to budget tightly at that

They have all guaranteed tickets however, which I think it the particular sticking point here

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FrancisH said:

I fully get that point of view. However, I guess that they'd be a school of thought which would argue that the 'potential' spin offs from displaying your art at Glastonbury could far outweigh any reimbursement for showing it there.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 10:43 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello, just wondering where this opportunity was publicised last year so that I can keep a look out for opportunities for 2024? I just came across this forum whilst searching for open calls for Shangri-La as hoping to get an application in for this year's festival, but not seen anything about open calls for 2024 yet

On 2/14/2023 at 1:05 PM, FrancisH said:

f**k that man. Like I get Glastonbury is the culmination of many artists pulling together to deliver something phenomenal, and that budgets are tight across the entire festival... but yikes. Artists should at least get some fair compensation for their work if they don't even get to see their work in situ.

This.

So, despite the pretentious blurb, creatives are expected to work for free in exchange for 'exposure'?

Well, exposure don't pay the bills.

Many people are getting rich off the back of the festival and artists/ creatives should be paid/ rewarded like anyone else.

0/10

8 minutes ago, Splonk said:

This.

So, despite the pretentious blurb, creatives are expected to work for free in exchange for 'exposure'?

Well, exposure don't pay the bills.

Many people are getting rich off the back of the festival and artists/ creatives should be paid/ rewarded like anyone else.

0/10

In Shangri-la? 

12 minutes ago, Splonk said:

creatives are expected to work for free in exchange for 'exposure'?

that's how it goes for a lot of the stage staff too?

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Exchange for a ticket is fair. If no tickets are forthcoming then it's absolutely a flaming liberty.

They have limited tickets for performers the left field stage manager was sacked a while back for promising more tickets to performers than he'd been allocated.

On 2/14/2023 at 12:29 AM, Neil said:

does work, downloads a pdf.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:13 AM, incident said:

Think there might be a forum setting that only admins can download attached pdfs, or certain accounts can't - every attached pdf I've seen on the forum shows as "attachment unavailable" for me with the error suggesting there's a permissions issue:

image.png.406d18bbec0439124a3f3f11e8d06ded.png

On 2/14/2023 at 1:48 AM, Alvoram said:

same... Same with videos and any other type of attachment besides photos... always has been this way. 

It’s specifically gold members that can’t download attachments, every single one says not available… it’s been like that for years.

mods and non members can open them fine but gold members can’t. 

Edited by stuie
Just realised I’d replied to a load of old posts but the same still applies!