Trussell Trust charity Auctions

Crazyfool01

59 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

In the T&Cs it includes them drawing out extra names as back ups in case there's any reason the some of the 10 winners can't make it. 

Not that this would happen but imagine being told you have been drawn as backup, were basically 11th, and will be in line for tickets if any of the 10 drawn don't go for any reason. Torture.

50 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Think it’s fairly safe to say the raffle has done so well this year it will become a permanent fixture now? 

I hope so. To me it would make more sense to do it as two tranches of raffle rather than an auction + raffle. It would raise more money and avoids the optics of people buying their way in (and yes I know that happens anyway but it isn't  usually so visible).

2 minutes ago, paulshane said:

but one ticket gets you in all ten raffles, so it's the 1 in 4900 odds.

Ah true fair enough whoop I'm going to win 😄 apologies to @dotdash79I was thinking you thought the ticket was 10 entries like they sometimes do with bigger priced tickets. 

Edited by gigpusher

1 minute ago, paulshane said:

I won a pair of tickets to see Idles and Portishead for a  Warchild benefit in Brisol last year in a similar raffle (probably less entries though) so someone has to win 🙂

Yep I got to see Elbow at The Roadhouse for one of those benefits many years ago as well but yep I'm guessing this is still a slightly bigger raffle and that had more prizes as the whole audience was people who won. 

13 minutes ago, paulshane said:

but one ticket gets you in all ten raffles, so it's the 1 in 4900 odds.

It's over 30 years since my Maths A level but I'm pretty sure that with successive draws the odds don't work like this.  It would be 10 chances at 49,000/1 each time, not 4,900/1.

Ah the odd world of odds!

The odds of a coin flip are 1/2, so the odds of ten heads in a row is 1/1024 (2^10). However after the first 3 heads in a row, chances of the fourth flip being heads is still 1/2. And after 9 consecutive heads, the odds for the tenth are still 1/2. What's going on, what sorcery is this? Does the past influence the future? Do the coins know?

Never.webp

The odds of those 10 pounds helping people in need is 1/1 though, and that's what really matters.

Edited by clasher

7 minutes ago, AdamTGlasto said:

So...why did they raffle a load of prizes off to all the rich boys and girls for Trussell when a raffle obviously would have made more? Is it the festival throwing a bone to their majority clientelle, or is it shitting on the poor (they do that enough with the ticket prices, don't they?). I hope a working class black girl wins a prize and speaks her mind about the system before introducing Razorlight.

I think the strategy is correct … they have appealed to those that can afford the hospitality versions …. Let’s face it they exist in plentiful supply and they’ve also done one for the less wealthy … if they had chosen 20 pairs of tickets for the raffle instead of 10 they wouldn’t have made more money for the charity so they are splitting their bets in 2 markets 

5 minutes ago, AdamTGlasto said:

So...why did they raffle a load of prizes off to all the rich boys and girls for Trussell when a raffle obviously would have made more? Is it the festival throwing a bone to their majority clientelle, or is it shitting on the poor (they do that enough with the ticket prices, don't they?). I hope a working class black girl wins a prize and speaks her mind about the system before introducing Razorlight.

But if there are 10 rich people who are willing to give £10,000+ each to trussell trust in exchange for glasto tickets, why not rinse them for every penny? They can clearly afford it.

Also, I know a lot of people think "the rich" and "proper glasto people" are completely separate circles on a venn diagram, but presumably the people who won the auctions are big enough glasto fans that they'd pay that much for standard (non-hospitality, no luxury yurts and flushing toilets) tickets.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I think the strategy is correct … they have appealed to those that can afford the hospitality versions …. Let’s face it they exist in plentiful supply and they’ve also done one for the less wealthy … if they had chosen 20 pairs of tickets for the raffle instead of 10 they wouldn’t have made more money for the charity so they are splitting their bets in 2 markets 

They would’ve easily made more money, the raffle has already made four times the auction. The first charity have been shafted by having the proceeds for the auction rather than a raffle, 20 tickets raffled and split between the two on two separate dates would’ve undeniably made more money than any auction.

Edited by Jose Pose

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

They would’ve easily made more money, the raffle has already made four times the auction. The first charity have been shafted by having the proceeds for the auction rather than a raffle, 20 tickets raffled and split between the two on two separate dates would’ve undeniably made more money than any auction.

Yeah you are right but don’t think anyone’s been shafted here and a proportion of the money is people donating because of a pressing need as much as it is for the tickets 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yeah you are right but don’t think anyone’s been shafted here and a proportion of the money is people donating because of a pressing need as much as it is for the tickets 

Obviously not intentionally shafted, that’s a it harsh on my part, but undeniably with two separate raffles, the first charity would’ve got a ton more money, and I doubt the second would’ve lost much because most people who entered the first raffle would enter the second one.

24 minutes ago, AdamTGlasto said:

It wasn't the festival that held the auction, it was the Trussel Trust. GF just provided the prizes.