2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

19 hours ago, benali said:

Would absolutely love to see this is a late addition. Kind of feel/hope those tour dates are in place for a reason...

Screenshot_2023-06-01-17-32-46-30_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

Thanks as it caused me to notice she has a new album! It would be great. She's been a regular on the calm and beautiful end of my listening since she pulled out from 2019 due to bad health. And yes the timing and otherwise very short UK tour length look hopeful for EOTR.

This isn't really about this year, but as Green Man are going with Self Esteem (likely a replacement for a pullout but still a decent size and someone who was being mentioned in EOTR predictions) I wonder what the thought here is about British headliners? There was always at least one a year, and as mentioned before Simon's Guardian interview says they lost a female headliner to an exclusivity contract and that might well have been Wet Leg, but it does feel like post-Covid they're moving away from Brits at the top end. All the likely Woods and Garden headliners will be international and the highest listed Brit on the current lineup is Greentea Peng, who you wouldn't think of as a major draw otherwise. Last year while black midi headlined Garden the only UK act in the daily top three on Woods were Los Bitchos, who highly likely only moved up when Gabriels pulled out. Does that speak more to a lack of potential young headliners? Fontaines DC aren't around at the moment and they're probably best placed, but otherwise would it have to reply on the likes of Squid, Shame, Dry Cleaning or post-Isaac BC,NR to kick on when they might not, or take a post-Simz chance on someone like Loyle Carner?

5 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

This isn't really about this year, but as Green Man are going with Self Esteem (likely a replacement for a pullout but still a decent size and someone who was being mentioned in EOTR predictions) I wonder what the thought here is about British headliners? There was always at least one a year, and as mentioned before Simon's Guardian interview says they lost a female headliner to an exclusivity contract and that might well have been Wet Leg, but it does feel like post-Covid they're moving away from Brits at the top end. All the likely Woods and Garden headliners will be international and the highest listed Brit on the current lineup is Greentea Peng, who you wouldn't think of as a major draw otherwise. Last year while black midi headlined Garden the only UK act in the daily top three on Woods were Los Bitchos, who highly likely only moved up when Gabriels pulled out. Does that speak more to a lack of potential young headliners? Fontaines DC aren't around at the moment and they're probably best placed, but otherwise would it have to reply on the likes of Squid, Shame, Dry Cleaning or post-Isaac BC,NR to kick on when they might not, or take a post-Simz chance on someone like Loyle Carner?

Fontaines DC are not British obvs but I get the general point & they would be fine headliners.  Maybe idles as well?
Loyle Carner has huge Gen Z appeal that makes him unlikely for EOTR in my view (similarly Phoebe/boygenius)

I would think future years maybe Laura Marling?. Would also be cool to have a more electronic headliner eg four tet

Just now, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

Fontaines DC are not British obvs but I get the general point & they would be fine headliners.  Maybe idles as well?
Loyle Carner has huge Gen Z appeal that makes him unlikely for EOTR in my view (similarly Phoebe/boygenius)

I would think future years maybe Laura Marling?. Would also be cool to have a more electronic headliner eg four tet

Ah I realise Laura marling and four tet aren’t young lol

3 minutes ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

It's kind of surprising Marling hasn't headlined already, maybe the timing wasn't right - she's headlined Green Man already, in 2016. I left out Idles as they're possibly too big right now but we know from Simon talking about how he'd be tempted to take a chance on Amyl & the Sniffers that he wouldn't be against a heavy headliner.

I get the feeling Four Tet/Bicep/Jon Hopkins/whoever wouldn't work as well at EOTR as they do at GM in the same way as they likely wouldn't have Little Simz, just one of those intangibles.

8 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I think it is a sign of British talent that there are a lot of really good upcoming acts that are ever so slightly too awkward to fill a main stage (Squid being a typical example).

I imagine many a mid-sized festival cursed the day Isaac left BC:NR as they were all set up to be prime headline material for the next few years.

Edited by noisenoiseandmorenoise

King Gizzard essentially playing and EOTR warm up gig at Manchester Psych Fest on Saturday night. Announced they will be playing a midnight show in Manchester and whilst not officially a part of the festival, hugely discounted tickets have been offered to all Psych Fest ticket holders. This festival is absolutely stacked this year. 

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Bodega on The Boat - I imagine that will be a shitshow!

Yeah, they need to sort out the accessibility of that Boat Stage. Couldn't get anywhere near it to see anyone last year. I wonder if the renaming of the Tipi is as a result of this, maybe things getting shuffled around a bit?

Some horrible clashes, especially Wilco up against HMLTD on the Thursday and the, as expected, Ezra vs King Gizz clash. Hoping the Panda Bear show will be after the Woods/Garden headliners, seems to be a standard approach, but with the DJs on the splits, I'm not so sure now

Clashfinder updated: https://clashfinder.com/s/eotr2023

Far as I can tell Mary Elizabeth Remington is the only pullout.

When there's been a secret act before it's usually (assuming they don't pull out) an artist that's about to or has just announced a new album, but they've never been in such an elevated place before even when it was former headliners Wild Beasts.

H Hawkline, Nina Nastasia and Kara Jackson on Talking Heads feels like they're going to be very busy.

Really notable how both GM and EOTR have booked the most talked about new band in Britain and are barely making anything of it, either in press release or in billing. That's surely deliberate.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

21 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Clashfinder updated: https://clashfinder.com/s/eotr2023

Far as I can tell Mary Elizabeth Remington is the only pullout.

When there's been a secret act before it's usually (assuming they don't pull out) an artist that's about to or has just announced a new album, but they've never been in such an elevated place before even when it was former headliners Wild Beasts.

H Hawkline, Nina Nastasia and Kara Jackson on Talking Heads feels like they're going to be very busy.

Really notable how both GM and EOTR have booked the most talked about new band in Britain and are barely making anything of it, either in press release or in billing. That's surely deliberate.

Who are you referring to with that last paragraph? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Yep - so much hype their debut single saw them receive a backlash and a backlash to the backlash within a week of release, and (I'm aware this is a flawed metric) has clocked up more than three million Spotify plays. They're third down on the smallest stage at GM.

They seemed to be popping up, playing free shows everywhere a few months ago. I got invited to the one in Ramsgate, but I either couldn't make it or muster up the enthusiasm for the drive that night. Just listened to the single, and it's alright, but the industry push is quite remarkable. Could be a bit like when Catfish & The Bottlemen rocked up at EOTR. Totally out of place.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Bodega and Fat Dog seem primed for one of the late night slots

Going to take the Bodega clash/crush fear out of the equation by seeing them in Margate the week or so before,  but I do love them, so won't write off seeing them again at EOTR. Midway up the bill on the Woods last time, and pulled a huge crowd. The Boat Stage seems like a really misguided place to put them

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they are moving things around a bit. The email says “Down” at The Folly which doesn’t tie in with where the Tipi usually is. 

also agree they can’t possibly have Bodega on The Boat stage if it’s the same set up last year.