2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

On 2/19/2023 at 12:42 PM, Mungochatney said:

I've wanted to go to EOTR for years but previously been unable to. As the line up is consistently really good I've bought tickets for my family to attend before the line up announcement. I'm really disappointed so far with the line up - nowhere near previous years in my opinion. The line up is the "first wave" of announcements. Is there usually much additional music announced after this first wave?? Really hoping this is the case?

imho I don't think the additional announcements will add too much if you look at what has come in previous years. I feel there's a danger of people getting their hopes up. Just my belief, but if you're disappointed in it, I suspect that's not going to alter much

And just my take, but people have to get over people complaining. If you like it, great, but people are just as entitled to say it's underwhelming. Now, I can afford to go to a festival line up that's left me a bit cold just to vibe because I have no common sense. I'll have a lovely time cos it's a lovely place and my number one favourite activity these days is sitting down.

But I think people are allowed to feel unexcited in a time they're making cost/benefit judgements. I expect that it won't sell out myself

Edited by robith
  • Upvote 2

Just now, RedRockRick said:

A propos of nothing, Black Deer's latest line-up announcements today makes it look like a composite of EOTR rosters from 2008-2011: pretty stellar in my view, and happy to have a ticket in my back pocket! 

Just seen it myself and definitely interested. It's local-ish, so always feels like I should try and attend

1 hour ago, RedRockRick said:

A propos of nothing, Black Deer's latest line-up announcements today makes it look like a composite of EOTR rosters from 2008-2011: pretty stellar in my view, and happy to have a ticket in my back pocket! 

Nice line-up 

I loved Calexico on the Garden stage 

2008 was a wonderful line-up 

Edited by wolfamongwolves

21 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

Yes, here also with a ticket and super-happy with yesterday's announcement, which really lit up my day.  Here's hoping that the next EOTR line-up announcement does similar.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:46 AM, RedRockRick said:

Has anyone been before? Line up looks strong but I've read reports that you can't take food/drink in which seems over zealous?

19 minutes ago, oochie said:

Well, if we thought EOTR's lineup looked weak in isolation, Green Man's lineup massively blows it out of the water. Connect has Future Islands third from top on their lineup. Quite disappointing.

Connect is a much bigger festival than EOTR (same capacity as Green Man, in fact), run by a major events company, and they're behind two bands who would be too big even now for EOTR and above Confidence Man who look like being a Green Man sub.

Edited by SweepingTheNation
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LowerMead said:

The GM 2023 line-up blows EOTR out of the water for my tastes. I’m rather miffed that we’re going to the latter rather than the former now.  Would explain the absolute pile-on that GM had to become an instant sell out. 

I am in the same boat as you but will try and rectify that when resales are up!

12 hours ago, staffop said:

Has anyone been before? Line up looks strong but I've read reports that you can't take food/drink in which seems over zealous?

Been twice. Yes, it's a bit of an Iron Curtain vibe if you're trying to smuggle food and drink in. Food in arena feels a bit pricey - they were charging traders 15% of takings to participate in their cashless wristband payment scheme, so inevitably that fed back - but could be good: Japanese Rice Bowl definitely best festival food I've ever had. Not much happening out of hours, but music has been pretty terrific: last year's Appalachian jam was great fun and The Band's Last Waltz  concert recreation - until curtailed by a storm - was utterly fantastic. This year's line-up is already pretty stellar, with more to come. They deserve to do well and become a fixture: crowds haven't been massive, hence them trying the day ticket route. I feel a certain resistance to loving it, and doubt I'll ever feel the affinity I have for EOTR, but on the other hand the actual music is a winner every time. Can't see myself not being a repeat attendee.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The Green Man line-up is decent, but it's not giving me any kind of envy, quite happy that I went last year instead and that this year I've just got EotR.

Yep, I found the GM line-up reassuringly meh: after all the EOTR dissing here, there seems a lot of artificial enthusiasm for the GM announcement, yet the headliners are so-so, and as per usual, there's a lot of last and previous year's EOTR line-up being repeated. Some of the mid-range GM acts will (I'm sure) turn up at EOTR, and I'm confident there'll be some weighty names still to come, so I'm more than content with what EOTR are doing.

• Upvote 4