Any advice for Glastonbury newcomers?

Pr0paneNightm4re

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

🤣 How do you guys achieve that? I know if I make a plan it will genuinely drive me crazy not even trying to stick to it! 🙈😂

Seriously though, I'd find that so triggering. What is wrong with me? 😥

I don't make a plan but I do highlight everything I am interested in. My must sees I'll put in a different colour and days will often be built around them but I just like to be able to look at my planner and see all my options. Usually in a morning based on weather, how tired we feel etc we will try and firm up our plans for the day but even then, they often change. This year the Friday for example looked ridiculous as I could have done that 5 times over and had a different outcome each time but it meant I could look at it and pick what suited best according to mood etc. 

I just think it's best not to have too set a plan as I think it's why people get pissed off when something is too busy. I like knowing I can pivot at any point to something else I will also like.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:29 AM, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Just managed to bag 5 tickets for me and my mates to go to our very first Glasto. Camped Leeds and Download before so obvs have festival experience but wanted to know if there was any useful information (I.e. which campsites are best etc.) or anything you’d have wished you’d known before you’d been the first time?

cheers!

Take a lot of socks. And talc or some kind of anti-chafing stuff. 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

On this one, opt for nontraditional breakfast foods at breakfast time. Grab some momos, hoppers or curry goat and get served immediately rather than queueing for half an hour for a terrible bacon roll.

Ha that's me! Why would I waste a glastonbury meal on a roll when I can have curry!

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

On this one, opt for nontraditional breakfast foods at breakfast time. Grab some momos, hoppers or curry goat and get served immediately rather than queueing for half an hour for a terrible bacon roll.

Absolutely this year I had pizza for breakfast one day, poutine another. I am the same as you other than the initial queue to get through I don't like to waste time queuing for anything. 

Don't go and see 'big names' just for the sake of it.

I went to George Ezra's secret set (with a mate who is a fan of him in fairness) because I figured I could say I've seen George Ezra without having to pay for him. I was bored to tears for the full set.

Bastille was similar - spent ages waiting on them in a decent spot and I don't even like them (again, one of my mates did).

It's a bit like being a new parent.  You get loads of good advice, ignore it and eventually learn from your mistakes!

We have a rendezvous point and a general agreement to meet up there at a given time (Bimble at 7).  Otherwise never have to be anywhere at any specific time - just leads to stress.

Take a big battery pack - nothing more tragic than sitting in the EE tent charging your phone.

Don't be a passenger.  Participate.  Make someone else's festival memorable!

Get dressed up - buy some outfit from Oxfam on the Wednesday.

• Like 1

My small bit of advice for what its worth.........

OP as you've be to other fests, I'll skip the get the tent set up right and know where to find it bit.... but for other newbies reading this I can't stress this one enough, get the tent set up right, if the tent and your clean clothes get wet your going to have a miserable time!!!

Other than that, it cant be stresses enough how HUGE the site is, keep that in mind.

Talk to strainers and get recommendations of them for bands you've never heard of, my might just find your new favorite

and lastly the Food!!!!!! It really is amazing..... explore the food as much as the music..... 

People say don't plan your day - I agree and disagree. I'm so glad I looked at the clashfinder for my first Glastonbury, picked who I wanted to realistically see and went with it. Just be open-minded prepared to change your mind at some point, or go elsewhere. Go off on your own if you want to. For your first time, do whatever the hell you want. See the rest of the festival another year (for my second Glasto I tried to see way too much and it knackered me out)

2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Just be open-minded prepared to change your mind at some point, or go elsewhere.

In 2008 (i think), I was on my way to watch Sinéad O'Connor headlining The Acoustic Stage. I was walking past West Holts (or whatever it was called then) and was stopped in my tracks by a fantastic woman singer who turned out to be Estelle, one of my fav all time sets. I never got to The Acoustic Stage. Even better - when I saw the people I was meant to meeting that night their verdict was that Sinéad was poor.

So yea be open-minded.

• Upvote 1

Try to let go of the idea you have to do and enjoy everything. That will lead to stress. If you're enjoying sitting drinking elderflower wine in the permaculture enjoy it for what it is. If you think that some of the acts are rubbbish or you don't get the hype about  block 9 or whatever that's ok too.