Banned!

tarw

4 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I haven't been 'hanging out' with any of them... I spent less than one day on that server before last fest, when I first signed into it I had no idea there was any conflict with here, I soon realised that there was a lot of toxicity*, and haven't been on since. 

*It's a red flag to me, when one group of people go out of their way to say another group is toxic, especially when that other group are just quietly getting on with things. That's how that server was, they were always talking about here in a negative light, and yet they barely get a mention here... That says to me that they are the ones with an issue, they have the toxicity, and the fact that they're sending trolls over here to bother you, just confirms that. 

thank you, that makes clear there'll a real issue i'm having to deal with and it's no about me powertripping as some have suggested.

Just now, Neil said:

thank you, that makes clear there'll a real issue i'm having to deal with and it's no about me powertripping as some have suggested.

Oh 100%!!!

There is no doubt in it!!  

I have no idea what happened, who you pissed off or how, but when I was on there that afternoon, this forum and you, came up way too often. 

But like I said, that to me just made them look like they had some kind of vendetta, and that they were toxic. Because they weren't being discussed here in the same light, they came across as obsessed. Hence I left pretty quick. (There are some nice folk on there too though, btw.) 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Oh 100%!!!

There is no doubt in it!!  

I have no idea what happened, who you pissed off or how, but when I was on there that afternoon, this forum and you, came up way too often. 

But like I said, that to me just made them look like they had some kind of vendetta, and that they were toxic. Because they weren't being discussed here in the same light, they came across as obsessed. Hence I left pretty quick. (There are some nice folk on there too though, btw.) 

i'm not surprised co they met here and that's what unites them.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

i'm not surprised co they met here and that's what unites them.

But you don't need to worry about them Neil. We're never going to be everybody's cup of tea. 

I don't know you, for better or worse. But I do know people here who do, and thankfully it's the good people, the ones that genuinely care about you and this community. 

And I know you've not been well (I Hope you don't mind me saying that?) So it sickens me to think that people have been going out of their way to come over here and give you abuse, to troll you, and to stress you out. Only an absolutely disgusting human being would do such a thing to somebody struggling with their health. 

Anyway Neil, I'm going to leave it alone now pal, I tried to give you my advice, it was best intentioned, but you don't know me, and at the minute you don't know who to trust. I completely understand that, and can see why you don't know who to trust. But take it from me, a random stranger you've never met, there are people here who you've known a long time who you can trust, there are people who have your best interests, and the community's best interests at heart. You've just gotta figure out how to tell the difference. 🙂 Good luck with it, see you in the weather thread soon 😉 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, OverlyComplicated said:

Neil is very good at clamping down on the mention of such things

i clamp down on spamming; with lots of community moderation help, via the 'report this post' button.

de up of some people who get a kick out of winding Neil up so they are happy to stoke the flames

yeah, c**ts.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

no one is able to tell me how things would improve with some new mods, until they can it ain't happening.

Mods could approve posts of new members until they have a good track record, like other forums. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

not everyone, but its interesting what i see when i look at some data on who has upvoted posts critical of me.

Maybe because these posts actually make sense and people agree with each other. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

complaining about the successful anti-troll measures i' ve put in place isn't helping, its about trying to pile-on.

You’ve banned people for no reason… that may attract criticism.

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

Mods could approve posts of new members until they have a good track record, like other forums. 

i don't want to do that people often sign up to say something  now! that means they couldn't say something until approved. its as far away from ideal as  people caught in a ban  by big ip address ranges.

Maybe because these posts actually make sense and people agree with each other. 

they might do, the data often tells me that the up-voter has been responsible for some of the  trolling.

You’ve banned people for no reason… that may attract criticism.

for good reason, you just don't want to accept its good reason: which makes it impossible for me to act against the bad actors with your support.

Edited by Neil

I'm a casual user of this forum. I come on every few days and catch up, then post every so often. I really like it here. I have been on here for maybe 10 years, and this is the second account I've used. I was very active on my old account when I was younger and liked posting a lot more (and was way more opinionated.) I ended up asking for my old account to be shut down, after becoming victim to some trolls. I was sent death threats to my personal social media accounts, and somebody tried to hit me and my mum at a concert, so I completely sympathise with Neil when it comes to wanting rid of the trolls.

However, this seems to have had a wide effect on a number of seemingly innocent people.

Neil, I don't know whether you care about my opinion, but I think the forum would benefit from a team of mods. There's plenty of people on this forum that have proven themselves to be good members of the community that I'm sure would be more than happy to help. From my perspective, it's something to almost be proud of when you need a team of mods. It shows that your forum has grown incredibly. Bill Gates couldn't run Microsoft on his own. It's a testament to how successful your project has grown when you need extra minds to help out.

I hope your health is okay, and it would be a massive shame if this forum did end up disappearing.

I ain't on here enough to know of the trolling that has led to the IP ban but I am on enough to get pleasure finding new music and catching up with some peeps from over 30 years of going to glasto.

I do hope you find another solution as it's looking like I can only access via WiFi at home and most of my forum use is mobile. I m assuming I'm not the only person restricted through no fault of their own. 

This IP ranges ban has to go

I was in the pub earlier on 4G and couldn't get on the website, its a completely unworkable solution. Maybe reaching out to other music related / festival forums would be a good place to start to see how they combat trolls? Theres quite a big mainland europe festival one i think

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I gave you money. I contributed to a fund solely with the intention of getting you the assistance you needed to do Glastonbury last year.

You never said thank you. In fact you treated me like shit.

That was fundraising someone chose to do on my behalf, before asking me. I did get the money so thank you for your contributions, which went towards mobility scooter hire. 

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

This IP ranges ban has to go

I was in the pub earlier on 4G and couldn't get on the website, its a completely unworkable solution. Maybe reaching out to other music related / festival forums would be a good place to start to see how they combat trolls? Theres quite a big mainland europe festival one i think

It's a workable solution cos the trolls are currently blocked 

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's a workable solution cos the trolls are currently blocked 

literally a troll post on this page, you must know that this won't actually work. they will just get VPNs or use mobile data, all while actual users get pissed off

4 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

We had to destroy the village in order to save it

exactly

Edited by gfa

Just now, gfa said:

key word is currently - its not like this will actually work you must know that

exactly

Currently is much better than not at all. If the forums have to die for efests to continue then so be it. 

This whole situation just makes me uneasy. I'm also pretty sure these trolls are lapping up the situation that they've fucked over people who haven't done anything wrong. They can also whip up a cheap VPN and continue their trolling.

Whilst the situation is how it is, why not look at an invite only system for a brief period of time.

28 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

This whole situation just makes me uneasy. I'm also pretty sure these trolls are lapping up the situation that they've fucked over people who haven't done anything wrong. They can also whip up a cheap VPN and continue their trolling.

Whilst the situation is how it is, why not look at an invite only system for a brief period of time.

Invite only would be clique Central, which is the troll account and how do you know its that 

5 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

perhaps post restrictions the on new accounts. I.E. you can't create new topics if your account is <1 week old.

there's already restrictions like that in place.