Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In the other thread asking if youve seen the headliners, lots of people are chipping in to say theyve seen them in recent years and its been great. I'd set more store by that than YouTube clips which never reflect what a gig is like very well.

Thing with GnR is you'll get a pretty good idea inside the first 10-15 minutes whether you're going to enjoy it or not. Plenty of time to go elsewhere if you aren't feeling it.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

I personally can't see the excitment surrounding AM.

They have a massive Stadium tour around June, so thousands can see them there. 

I'd persoanlly prefer 1975 even if I can't stand Matt

I think you've kind of answered our own conundrum!

Sold out stadium tour = 'massive' = Pointy headliner fodder

They clearly still have huge pulling power and so are 'appropriate' as a Pyramid headliner. Now, whether or not you like them, and/or feel aggrieved as they have headlined not too long ago, those are different issues!

Ben

37 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

I personally can't see the excitment surrounding AM.

They have a massive Stadium tour around June, so thousands can see them there. 

I'd persoanlly prefer 1975 even if I can't stand Matt

That would apply to pretty much any headliner Kenny aside for most years. Elton has been on the same tour for years and has probably played at a football or sports ground near you. He’s playing something like 20 UK dates this year.

Strangely enough, in a weird attempt to make money most acts playing Glastonbury will also be playing dates elsewhere. 

The 1975 are also touring now as well, funnily enough.

Edited by Jose Pose

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Whereas you've got someone like AM where even the people who find them boring aren't complaining about Alex's voice being bad, it's just the show itself. 

Yeah, even the people who like them are complaining how boring they are live. It's a miss and miss situation, which in my book is worse than hit and miss.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In the other thread asking if youve seen the headliners, lots of people are chipping in to say theyve seen them in recent years and its been great. I'd set more store by that than YouTube clips which never reflect what a gig is like very well.

True, but a mate of mine who was actually there thought Oasis were brilliant in 2004.

So being present doesn't always reflect what a gig is like. 

Just now, topmarksbri said:

Do we think AM will bring out the crowd pleasers or is it gonna be Sheffields premier lounge jazz act only?

Depends what you think pleases a crowd. They still lean heavily on AM when I've seen them over the last few years.

The world doesn't need to hear Snap Out Of It anymore.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Now I'm lost. 1975 played in 2016 right? So just a year before Foos, more recently than AM last played.

So this weird "last time they played" thing only counts if they headline the Pyramid? I get not counting secret sets as not everyone will have been able to get to them, they won't have been advertised, etc. 

I also get if they were playing like Avalon, and have gone stratospheric since - but 1975 did Other in the evening. I don't see how that's more fresh than AM?

I don’t see how any of this is ‘weird.’ Headlining and not headlining are different things so of course the time between them will be judged differently. Otherwise acts wouldn’t be able to work their way up the bill to headlining.

1 minute ago, topmarksbri said:

Do we think AM will bring out the crowd pleasers or is it gonna be Sheffields premier lounge jazz act only?

I'd guess 5 from the first 2 records, 2 from Humbug & the rest a mix of the later 3 records (leaning more into AM imo). Maybe 1 from Suck It & See but we'd be lucky

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Depends what you think pleases a crowd. They still lean heavily on AM when I've seen them over the last few years.

The world doesn't need to hear Snap Out Of It anymore.

Was thinking whatever people say/FWN. Haven't played mardy bum or flourescent in ages could see them bringing it out as Glastonbury is "special occasion"

10 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

I reckon they'll play the same set as their upcoming tour, with one or two older classics thrown in to meet the sense of occasion.

(In my dreams, a curtain falls halfway through the set to reveal the artwork from their debut, and they play the whole album through 😅)

8 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

This is from an Australian festival last week

Setlist

882825DB-7685-4114-93AD-76305C945E37.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrancisH said:

The 1975 to me strike me as a band on the verge of missing their window, similar to the situation Foals found themselves in - and if they are going to do it it ideally needs to be before Matt Healy gets embroiled in some scandal for being a mega creep which also feels like it might happen very soon.

Down vote undeserved so balanced. He has done plenty already to be labelled creepy. 

• Upvote 1