2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can't roast 2008 too hard given the f**king Gossip are also riding high and large on this year's line up.

do you mean: The 2008 ?

On 3/14/2024 at 4:49 PM, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah it is fairly clear they still go all out to try get these types of acts. It's clear it was Madonna this year maybe next year it will be her again. We have seen from past examples (Prince) that they will sometimes try again and again.  I think they know they have some leeway to bump up smaller acts like SZA but also they don't want to rest on their laurels too much, they will remember the times they weren't the hottest ticket in town.

I reckon Swift and Madonna will be the big ones they will be trying to secure over the next couple years. They are always going to be restrained by the plans of the artist. If Madonna announces a BST date or whatever they can probs get her.

And Rhianna as well after she had to pull out previously. 

Both Swift and Rhianna have agreed to do it in the past so unless they now deem Glasto too low of a priority, they should both pop up in the next couple of years. 

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Can't roast 2008 too hard given the f**king Gossip are also riding high and large on this year's line up.

You know they've got new music though right? Only 2 or 3 singles so far I think, but it's good. 

It's the Rick Astley slot for the indie sleaze generation. 

On 3/17/2024 at 8:30 AM, Talcroft said:

You know they've got new music though right? Only 2 or 3 singles so far I think, but it's good. 

It's the Rick Astley slot for the indie sleaze generation. 

Never Gonna Give You Up was 21 years old when Glasto 2008 was on. So not far off Standing In The Way Of Control being similarly old, but not quite.

5 minutes ago, Ncahir94 said:

What! Can’t believe that 

IMG_8098.png

IMG_8097.png

I was going to watch Coldplay but that does take some of the shine off Glastonbury now, especially as the Big Weekend will be on the radio and maybe the BBC for free.

I'm also miffed that Everything Everything and Vampire Weekend got snapped up for that and aren't on the Glasto poster 😬

19 minutes ago, BookAngel said:

I was going to watch Coldplay but that does take some of the shine off Glastonbury now, especially as the Big Weekend will be on the radio and maybe the BBC for free.

I'm also miffed that Everything Everything and Vampire Weekend got snapped up for that and aren't on the Glasto poster 😬

Big Weekend isn't a festival though and it's not like they will be doing a full headline show. VW were overlooked in place of Little Simz or Burna Boy. That's kind what I mean if they had booked LCD, Little Simz or Burna Boy and VW it would be fine. Or booked VW to headlined the Other stage to give VW, Disclosure and The National. My feeling is they would want to Pyramid sub and Emily didn't.

On 3/16/2024 at 5:25 PM, northernangel said:

Haha yes.

To be honest, KOL, The Fratellis, Editors were quite big for me back then but The Fratellis should have never subbed.

It's still better than having SZA, Burna Boy and Paloma Faith all on one stage. 

I didn't mind that line-up at the time, and quite frankly they could have had the Crusty Orchestra of Britain farting through kazoos all weekend and that Leonard Cohen performance would have still made it one of my favourite Glastonburys.

But it does bite hard knowing in retrospect that they turned Pink Floyd down wanting to play as Rick Wright's dying wish, because they couldn't move Kings of Leon 😞

Edited by foolsgold1981

3 minutes ago, foolsgold1981 said:

I didn't mind that line-up at the time, and quite frankly they could have had the Crusty Orchestra of Britain farting through kazoos all weekend and that Leonard Cohen performance would have still made it one of my favourite Glastonburys.

But it does bite hard knowing in retrospect that they turned Pink Floyd down wanting to play as Rick Wright's dying wish, because they couldn't move Kings of Leon 😞

I don't know of that but it's a but rubbish. I'm not a Floyd fan but I get it.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Big Weekend isn't a festival though and it's not like they will be doing a full headline show. VW were overlooked in place of Little Simz or Burna Boy. That's kind what I mean if they had booked LCD, Little Simz or Burna Boy and VW it would be fine. Or booked VW to headlined the Other stage to give VW, Disclosure and The National. My feeling is they would want to Pyramid sub and Emily didn't.

Emily overlooked vampire weekend because she wanted more dIvErSiTy, or because they took the $$$ to be a festival exclusive at primavera?

1 hour ago, BookAngel said:

That’s what I was thinking. There’s some great undercard acts that I was convinced would be at glasto 

Out of interest, do Coldplay ever do anything off ROBTTH any more (except the scientist)? I was a superfan in the early years but lost interest at Viva La Vida. I'd give my right arm to see them play Politik again... Was very disappointed it didn't feature in 2016 especially after the vote that week. 

3 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Out of interest, do Coldplay ever do anything off ROBTTH any more (except the scientist)? I was a superfan in the early years but lost interest at Viva La Vida. I'd give my right arm to see them play Politik again... Was very disappointed it didn't feature in 2016 especially after the vote that week. 

From it they played The Scientist, Clocks, and In My Place frequently last year. They also played Politik at a few shows.

Edited by WhoOdyssey

3 hours ago, Talcroft said:

The full set I watched on YouTube from Paris had Clocks, Politik and In my Place on it

The i newspaper is the best tabloid newspaper in the UK and the writer was just putting into print what a lot of people on this website were thinking. I remember an interview with Sharleen Spiteri after her set last year when she said they were heading for the ferry that night as they had another gig coming up, big bands are businesses and they'll always look for the next payday. The writer does point out that the festival is considerably more than just the headliners and perhaps this year it's a chance to go discover what you've missed (if you're fortunate enough to have a ticket)