2024 Headliners

Christ we need an announcement just to stop the bickering. When the line up finally drops you have to choose 15-20 acts to keep you occupied for a weekend. Glastonbury always has put on a wide enough range of acts that my biggest problem will be narrowing down which of those I get to see.

Everyone will have at least a month/ 6 weeks to discover their new favourite artist. Every year I find someone else who helps me fall in love with music and the wonderful variety of our popular culture just a little bit more. If I see a Pyramid headliner great, if I don't who cares there'll be plenty more things to see.

As Emily herself once said complaining about the headliners is like complaining that Cats is on in the West End. Yes it is but your under no obligation to watch it.

Edited by gigpusher

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I think when you get that many 'who's?' It does somewhat say something and you can't just completely dismiss that... at the end of the day Glastonbury isn't just for the kids and it's no good telling people they're just not cool enough

I can see where you're coming from with this - but the caveat that SZA's fanbase won't use internet forums like this one. If they posted about her on TikTok for example and the comments were the same, maybe there would be an issue.

Just now, Alex DeLarge said:

I can see where you're coming from with this - but the caveat that SZA's fanbase won't use internet forums like this one. If they posted about her on TikTok for example and the comments were the same, maybe there would be an issue.

Yeah exactly. We'll see 😊

10 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I don't know... playing devils advocate here but whilst I don't agree with the whole 'who?' ignorance... (unless if it's to wind up The National fans 😜)... I think when you get that many 'who's?' It does somewhat say something and you can't just completely dismiss that... at the end of the day Glastonbury isn't just for the kids and it's no good telling people they're just not cool enough. That's what makes it a somewhat risky booking. It's not even about who deserves it, credentials etc. It's a big old field to fill and could end up with other parts of the festival very busy which they obviously have to be considering with all their bookings. There'll be plenty of young people who don't automatically know/like SZA just because they are young... I'm sure there'll be plenty of young uns who will still be elsewhere on site. Anyway, who knows. We really won't know until the day!! But there are other insights and data they have accessible to them which we don't. They have everyone's age etc on their memberships and that will be linked to other see tickets data about the types of acts those people are interested in etc. They know who's coming. Maybe they know it'll be alright 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Anyway, I'm alright I've heard and listened to SZA so I'm pleased that it makes me cool and up to date 🤣😊

But within the context of Dua and Coldplay being the other headliners the argument of it only catering to the kids falls apart.

7 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I don't know... playing devils advocate here but whilst I don't agree with the whole 'who?' ignorance... (unless if it's to wind up The National fans 😜)... I think when you get that many 'who's?' It does somewhat say something and you can't just completely dismiss that... at the end of the day Glastonbury isn't just for the kids and it's no good telling people they're just not cool enough. That's what makes it a somewhat risky booking. It's not even about who deserves it, credentials etc. It's a big old field to fill and could end up with other parts of the festival very busy which they obviously have to be considering with all their bookings. There'll be plenty of young people who don't automatically know/like SZA just because they are young... I'm sure there'll be plenty of young uns who will still be elsewhere on site. Anyway, who knows. We really won't know until the day!! But there are other insights and data they have accessible to them which we don't. They have everyone's age etc on their memberships and that will be linked to other see tickets data about the types of acts those people are interested in etc. They know who's coming. Maybe they know it'll be alright 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Anyway, I'm alright I've heard and listened to SZA so I'm pleased that it makes me cool and up to date 🤣😊

I don't know I am in the old demographic (47 this year) but I go to a festival that is meant to be contemporary so they should be booking contemporary acts if it gets to a stage where I feel like there isn't enough there for me to enjoy then it's time for me to stop going rather than insisting the festival stop time for me. There are not enough huge headliners out there. Glastonbury need to get back to doing what they used to do and book the contemporary acts that are coming through. They can be the tastemakers and introduce newer acts to new audiences.

Just seeing the reaction from Raye at the Brits online shows that many people of a certain age don't listen to much contemporary music at all but they are open to it if it's put in front of them.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Imagine being happy with a Glastonbury line up because you're familiar with all the names and feel like the festival has catered everything for you.

You then wouldn't be happy because if you loved every name on the line up you'd be in clash hell.

Just now, gigpusher said:

I don't know I am in the old demographic (47 this year) but I go to a festival that is meant to be contemporary so they should be booking contemporary acts if it gets to a stage where I feel like there isn't enough there for me to enjoy then it's time for me to stop going rather than insisting the festival stop time for me. There are not enough huge headliners out there. Glastonbury need to get back to doing what they used to do and book the contemporary acts that are coming through. They can be the tastemakers and introduce newer acts to new audiences.

Just seeing the reaction from Raye at the Brits online shows that many people of a certain age don't listen to much contemporary music at all but they are open to it if it's put in front of them.

Don't get me wrong, absolutely agree with this and this is exactly my mindset too. I wish everyone had that. 

But they've still got to entertain the crowd that's onsite and get it right for crowd control. That can't just happen overnight, crowd behaviours and the regulars and all that. We'll see. I literally enjoy whatever I'm at, I'm so easily pleased. Just trying to see things from a different point of view and that point of view could well be valid. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Imagine being happy with a Glastonbury line up because you're familiar with all the names and feel like the festival has catered everything for you.

And who really wants to spend all 3 nights at the pyramid anyway? People bang on about the headliners like there’s only one stage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Don't get me wrong, absolutely agree with this and this is exactly my mindset too. I wish everyone had that. 

But they've still got to entertain the crowd that's onsite and get it right for crowd control. That can't just happen overnight, crowd behaviours and the regulars and all that. We'll see. I literally enjoy whatever I'm at, I'm so easily pleased. Just trying to see things from a different point of view and that point of view could well be valid. Time will tell.

That's why they give the main poster before balance payment though. If you hate it put your ticket back in the pot and let someone who would love it go instead.

16 minutes ago, stuie said:

And who really wants to spend all 3 nights at the pyramid anyway? People bang on about the headliners like there’s only one stage.

I watched Elton John for an hour and a quarter last year and that was my entire Pyramid Stage experience over the entire weekend. 

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

"Oooh a flashing wristband! Wow, it turns yellow when that play that Yellow song. Oooh look, it's a guest who I thought died years ago. Ahh, Michael's on stage, isn't that nice...."

And close.

Same again in 4 years! YAY!

20 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Emily just trying to desperately avoid calling up Duran Duran 😉

I'd take it.  Great live band with a huge catalogue of tunes.  They'd be great.

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Same again in 4 years! YAY!

If it is Coldplay then they will have headlined 5 times since the Millennium, or more accurately 5 in 19 years when you account fallow years and pandemics. That is a Fix You every 3.8 festivals.

I don't care which act it is, and I'd feel the same if it was someone I actually liked, that's too often.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

If it is Coldplay then they will have headlined 5 times since the Millennium, or more accurately 5 in 19 years when you account fallow years and pandemics. That is a Fix You every 3.8 festivals.

I don't care which act it is, and I'd feel the same if it was someone I actually liked, that's too often.

Agreed.