2024 Headliners

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's all fair - but if one of the big three has d@bbed down it would be seriously screwy to get on the phone to KoL when O-Rod is standing there in a prime position.

I thought the same last year about Lizzo or Lana.  

Not saying GnR were not a worthy replacement.

Just did they actually need to go out and look for one when they could have stepped one of those two up. 

1 minute ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I mean the constant tweeting of Glastonbury content over the last few weeks has got people talking and in some places assuming  so if that's a risk it's already an accepted risk 

4 weeks ago they shared a video of something on insta from them being on the farm twenty years ago, during a time when presumably they're still selling tickets for their dates? 

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

4 weeks ago they shared a video of something on insta from them being on the farm twenty years ago, during a time when presumably they're still selling tickets for their dates? 

Theres been a out 10 Glastonbury posts now hence the conversation.

There was a picture of the Pyramid posted by them yesterday. 

Edited by Ben7amin_

42 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I don't think anyone is denying that they're a massive act and have some huge tunes, just that they are 15 years past their "artistic" peak and tend to phone it in live.

Last time I saw them was late 2008, just about the time they got huge with SOF/Use Somebody.  That was a pretty decent setlist and performance, but every vid I've seen of them on stage recently, they could be statues.

Closer is a top drawer opening track for a gig though TBF.

The post was asking about how people would feel if KOL came out for a secret set on the Pyramid, when people were expecting The Killers.

As @NorthernSoul52 points out, they've shitloads of hits, so people would probably be happy, by and large.

21 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Are Kings of Leon pyramid headliner material? I feel like at most Other or some sort of sub 

They're kind of past it, so would be a weak headliner. Only way I see them headlining these days is if GFL are seriously stuck or someone backed out late.

But they're headlining other festivals all over the world, and doing their own massive gigs, so Other headliner or Pyramid sub would be a massive step down for them, so doubt they'd accept.

Most likely just not playing Glastonbury at all, unless it's a secret set.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's all fair - but if one of the big three has d@bbed down it would be seriously screwy to get on the phone to KoL when O-Rod is standing there in a prime position.

Yeah, that's the thing. Kings of Leon are big enough to headline in my book.

But... it's just pretty uninspired, at the end of the day. Some absolutely massive tunes, of course, but if they're stepping in for Madonna / Stevie Wonder, I'd much rather see them either take the hefty payday they had for those two in pursuit of someone with similar stature (a difficult prospect, which I absolutely accept) or plump for giving the leg-up to a first-timer (which, alongside a pair of Dua Lipa and Coldplay, isn't going to make it seem too soft as a trio in the grand scheme.)

That said, I absolutely get why you would go for Kings of Leon in that case. They're an arena band, former headliners and have at least half-a-dozen tunes most folk will know in their genre. (See: The Killers being reportedly a third-choice call-up in 2019.)

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agree with this. Suppose the stickler is whether she wants it yet.

13 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Theres been a out 10 Glastonbury posts now hence the conversation.

There was a picture of the Pyramid posted by them yesterday. 

I wonder if this is just their way of doing a Dave Grohl and hinting they'll be there in some sort of secret slot. Dave had the imagination to write a note on social media that used the phrase churn up - I could see the KoL equivalent being 'just share loads of Glasto related stuff and people will figure it out'

3 hours ago, 1986 said:

It's funny that we don't really bat an eyelid to this system when it's clearly (at least) two corporations working together to rip off the consumer of 100's of pounds.

I wouldn't say they work together. But it's best to work for the best outcome. Other festivals dont fear glastonbury. They appreciate the focus it puts on all festivals.

48 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Guns n Roses have sold over a hundred million albums, they're in no way comparable to Kings of Leon - who mightve sold at a guess about a tenth of that. I know its a slightly outmoded comparison these days (but i hate going by streams too 😄 i'm very old) but they're not in same ballpark, they aren't even the same sport.

Unless that sport is hairy blokes who seriously lost their mojo after a decent run, and subsequently became dreadful. 

For curiosity's sake, I did a quick look at album sales in the UK.

KOL's Only By The Night has sold nearly as much as all of GnR's albums put together.

Appetite For Destruction: 1.9m

GNR Lies: 100k

Use Your Illusion 1: 400k

Use Your Illusion 2: 400k

The Spaghetti Incident: 100k

Chinese Democracy: 300k

Total: 3.2m

Only By The Night: 3m

Once you add in their other albums, KOL vastly outsell GnR in the UK.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Agree with this. Suppose the stickler is whether she wants it yet.

also she understands the importance of the festival and being shoe horned in at the last minute wont allow her to give the slot the respect and attention she would want to give it. check her vogue interview to see what it means to her. i dont think she does it as a last minute repalcement.

KOL are definitely big enough to headline and I don't think would be accepting of a sub/other headline, whether they would be an interesting or good booking is subjective I guess (personally I'm a historical fan but think they are regularly pretty turgid live, so would avoid). However I always say they could book a bloke doing a turd to headline the pyramid for all I care, plenty of stuff going on to have the best time of your life anyway.

Based on nothing at all I think they are sharing Glasto posts over other festivals/gigs simply to promote the UK gigs, as headlining glasto is by far the biggest thing you can do in the UK, you can basically milk that headliner status forever to promote yourself over here.

ps I'm still convinced it's Stevie as that's the latest info we've got, and we're just talking ourselves out of it due to no announcement forthcoming!

Edited by Physical_graffiti

7 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

For curiosity's sake, I did a quick look at album sales in the UK.

KOL's Only By The Night has sold nearly as much as all of GnR's albums put together.

Appetite For Destruction: 1.9m

GNR Lies: 100k

Use Your Illusion 1: 400k

Use Your Illusion 2: 400k

The Spaghetti Incident: 100k

Chinese Democracy: 300k

Total: 3.2m

Only By The Night: 3m

Once you add in their other albums, KOL vastly outsell GnR in the UK.

Ha! i don't doubt you, but that's genuinely mindblowing. Appetite for Destruction is one of those albums that even if people hate G n R, they'll know inside out. Its probably a combination of age and demographics etc etc, and the kind of people i know and hhave talked music with, but i'm astonished that KoL could've outsold GnR in the UK! Top Shop have a lot to answer for . . . 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Ha! i don't doubt you, but that's genuinely mindblowing. Appetite for Destruction is one of those albums that even if people hate G n R, they'll know inside out. Its probably a combination of age and demographics etc etc, and the kind of people i know and hhave talked music with, but i'm astonished that KoL could've outsold GnR in the UK! Top Shop have a lot to answer for . . . 

I imagine streaming had something to do with it aswell. 

20 years since Aha Shake Heartbreak. An hour secret set in Woodsies playing the full album please. Would still give 20 minutes to throw in 4 other songs. 

Wishful thinking. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

There's no way KOL are headlining. They'd give someone a leg up before bringing in an over the hill band like KOL....and i like KOL.

I like them as well, in fact I’m going to see them in Glasgow two days after Glastonbury. But I would be hugely surprised to see them headlining the Pyramid in 2024. Just doesn’t feel like they’re still big enough.