2024 Headliners

Just now, FloopFiller said:

Ehh whilst they’re still holding their ground at the top of lineups, they’d be an incredibly uninspired booking for Glastonbury and I don’t think they’d go down awfully well at large. Would ring as a big ‘we couldn’t get anybody else’ booking. Thankfully I don’t see it ever coming to that. They either come back as a Churnups/secret set booking or don’t ever come back at all imo.

Yeah, they don't scream "inspired", do they.

But then nor did The Killers and they roundly knocked it out of the park in 2019.

Just now, charlierc said:

I personally don't think KoL are doing it. This is not me saying it's guaranteed they won't appear, because it is possible, but the timing of their dates and the Austria show makes me think no.

But hey. I'm usually wrong at predicting this sh*t.

I'm sticking with Dua Lipa, Coldplay and Stevie Wonder for now. But only because everyone else is.

2 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

Their tour and overall music sells suggest they could easily headline. So many people clearly judge who is headline material by their taste. 

I'm alright with Kings of Leon tbf - I saw them at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 2014, and thought they were really good, then saw them in Birmingham 3 years later and found the overall performance alright despite having problems with the crowd, which was full of people I found annoying.

I'm just less sure as to where they fit in with the current Glastonbury set-up and if they're still with enough of a reputation to top the bill, and whether they'd accept, say, subbing Coldplay or being an Other Stage alternative to Dua Lipa.

Still, Guns N Roses did it, and that was quite unexpected, so maybe all bets are off.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

I'm alright with Kings of Leon tbf - I saw them at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 2014, and thought they were really good, then saw them in Birmingham 3 years later and found the overall performance alright despite having problems with the crowd, which was full of people I found annoying.

I'm just less sure as to where they fit in with the current Glastonbury set-up and if they're still with enough of a reputation to top the bill, and whether they'd accept, say, subbing Coldplay or being an Other Stage alternative to Dua Lipa.

Still, Guns N Roses did it, and that was quite unexpected, so maybe all bets are off.

I guess the Guns N' Roses difference is that they were an unquestionably large draw, even if not to an obvious Glastonbury audience. They're a stadium band with one of the biggest tours of recent times in their back pocket - a no-brainer, in the end.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Guns'n'Roses have Sweet Child O Mine and November Rain. KoL have Sex on Fire and Use Somebody.

Endut!  Hoch hech!

Controversial opinion - Sweet Child O Mine is take it or leave it. Welcome to the Jungle is a belter though.

But more that they were just unexpected. In saying that, it may have more relevant to the conversation in those 2 days when people thought AC/DC might do El Pointo.

33 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I guess the Guns N' Roses difference is that they were an unquestionably large draw, even if not to an obvious Glastonbury audience. They're a stadium band with one of the biggest tours of recent times in their back pocket - a no-brainer, in the end.

Yeah in retrospect it's not quite the easiest of comparison. My bad.

I'm not sure KoL are as easily comparable to The Killers as a booking though, if only because I think even on the 2017/18 WW Tour, TK were still earning good live reviews and selling out UK arenas, whereas KoL have more of a hit-and-miss live reputation. Still seem to recall their Reading Festival 2018 headline set got a bit of a kicking on here.

15 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Yeah in retrospect it's not quite the easiest of comparison. My bad.

I'm not sure KoL are as easily comparable to The Killers as a booking though, if only because I think even on the 2017/18 WW Tour, TK were still earning good live reviews and selling out UK arenas, whereas KoL have more of a hit-and-miss live reputation. Still seem to recall their Reading Festival 2018 headline set got a bit of a kicking on here.

The Killers have remained a staple of the U.K. music scene so much so that they actually kind of feel like a British band despite being from Vegas. Mr Brightside basically never leaving the U.K. Top 200 says it all. KOL had their time and haven’t quite stayed as beloved all round. Still big, but feel like most people got sick of Sex on Fire and Use Somebody a long long time ago. Not nearly the everlasting appeal of those early Killers tunes. 

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I've seen KOL a few times, mainly at festivals and although only been great once (touring their first album), they've been good enough each time and I have been surprised by how many songs the crowds have known. I've seen other acts who have headlined Glastonbury with smaller crowds and looking like they don't know as much. For example, I thought the Cure was amazing and I knew their songs but I was the only person in our group that knew more than 5 songs and certainly the other people around us didn't know too much. 

KOL are just one of those bands where everyone knows them and a few of their songs straight off, but couldn't give names of many more songs, despite millions of people owning their albums. I think that is the fault of radio stations as they never seem to play anything other than Use Somebody or Sex is on Fire.

56 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Aha Shake Heartbreak was great. Thereafter they embraced the pigeon sh*t - completely different band.

Aha shake Heartbreak is an absolutely brilliant album.  Relistened to it for the first time in ages it's still so good. 

Personally find it hard to accept people prefer songs Like Use Somebody and Sex On Fire to it. 

It's at best a little frustrating

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

Aha Shake Heartbreak was great. Thereafter they embraced the pigeon sh*t - completely different band.

They were good live as well early on. The last couple of times I have seen them at festivals (Optimus alive and Madcool) I found them really dull. I don’t care if they play, but I will be at another stage 

First three albums are superb. Since then there’s been a couple of really good tracks on each album but a definite drop off. A lot of bands do that I suppose.

Saw them in 2018 in Glasgow and they were great, but I knew what to expect. So I wasn’t surprised by the lack of forced banter and enjoyed that they rattled through 25 songs, sounding really good. Not sure that translates to headlining Glastonbury these days though it worked great in front of their own fans. Needs to be more of a pop show with more bells and whistles to hold the crowds attention. Unless you’ve a sh*t load of well known hits which they don’t really.

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Yeah, they don't scream "inspired", do they.

But then nor did The Killers and they roundly knocked it out of the park in 2019.

Far more stadium style hits/ showmanship/ friends for guests. 

KOL headlining Pyramid would be one the weakest headliners they have had for years. Up there with Gorillaz. 

12 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Sorry if I'm late to the party but what's the solid info about Stevie? If there is any.

You’re not late, we are just discussing what we will be consuming at the party and who is bringing the salty snacks 

• Upvote 1