2024 Headliners

8 hours ago, Tables innit said:

Dua Lipa on Graham Norton next week. Surely an announcement incoming?

Cause theyre gonna have her make the announcement pre recorded? Itll leak via the audience if theh tried to do tbag. The brits are in a couple weeks and she dropped a new single. Thats what she is doing. Maybe the album info but I think she wouldve said that with this single announcement. Its strange, its kind of similar to Future Nostalgia and she pushed that release date back for no reason. 

The whole ‘put a smaller act to headline the Pyramid’ argument is one of the most moronic ones going. 

as many have said. Why would they do that when they can get same up and coming act to headline Woodies (where they are much more suited) and also put a massive stadium act on the pyramid (and in the case of Coldplay/ Radiohead usually play for free). 

“sorry Coldplay/ U2/ Madonna/ Elton John… we’re going to turn you down because we want park headliners Wolf Alice and Wet Leg to give it a shot instead. We’re also putting a local band from Glasto town to headline the park instead cos you know it’s like cool man..”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

What are they destroying if its sold out without an single act announced? They sell 135,000 tickets in an hour and could put Boris and Rishi on the Pyramid having a laugh if they want. They essentially do the opposite of what they could do with such a blessing. They play it very very safe cause they think they have to appease the lawn chair audience and theyre the only ones who buy tickets or something. They could challenge the audience but its once in a blue moon when it even happens. I mean its pretty much when any black artist is headlining that theres any uproar with the general public abut the festival losing its touch or something. I mean we have seen what happens when Emily goes after the tough gets and sometimes it burns you. Theyre lucky they even get Coldplay to perform for next to nothing or else they would have some other issues this year.

like ive said in the past we will see what happens when all 3 headliners are under the age of 30 or even all female. everyones mum will say its trash and they want to return their ticket. Fine, let em. Or do the boldest thing and dont put one ticket on sale until after you announce the lineup and see what happens with sales and reaction. If they want to see how the audience is currently then thats what you do. Its still gonna take another generation for the core attendees to be ok with certain bookings.

It's not a "blessing". It's the hottest ticket in the world in part because people know from 50 years of evidence that they consistently book the biggest acts to headline. People want the biggest acts in the world at the biggest festival in the world on the most famous stage in the world.

You still get the next-tier-down sized acts in prominent slots on big stages or headlining smaller stages. If you shoehorn them in to slots too big for them to appease the "playing it safe" weirdos then you're left with the "past it's best, no longer relevant" weirdos (who id hazard are often the same people) and a less satisfied customer base and a less marketable product. That's "playing it stupid".

Edited by gherkin8r

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

The whole ‘put a smaller act to headline the Pyramid’ argument is one of the most moronic ones going. 

as many have said. Why would they do that when they can get same up and coming act to headline Woodies (where they are much more suited) and also put a massive stadium act on the pyramid (and in the case of Coldplay/ Radiohead usually play for free). 

“sorry Coldplay/ U2/ Madonna/ Elton John… we’re going to turn you down because we want park headliners Wolf Alice and Wet Leg to give it a shot instead. We’re also putting a local band from Glasto town to headline the park instead cos you know it’s like cool man..”

This. It’s madness. It sells out because of everything they offer including getting massive headliners. You can see it in the crowds for Elton and the like, meanwhile there’s loads of other good options elsewhere. To arbitrarily stop doing that would be massively arrogant and commercial suicide.

What are they destroying if its sold out without an single act announced? They sell 135,000 tickets in an hour and could put Boris and Rishi on the Pyramid having a laugh if they want. They essentially do the opposite of what they could do with such a blessing. They play it very very safe cause they think they have to appease the lawn chair audience and theyre the only ones who buy tickets or something. They could challenge the audience but its once in a blue moon when it even happens. I mean its pretty much when any black artist is headlining that theres any uproar with the general public abut the festival losing its touch or something. I mean we have seen what happens when Emily goes after the tough gets and sometimes it burns you. Theyre lucky they even get Coldplay to perform for next to nothing or else they would have some other issues this year.

like ive said in the past we will see what happens when all 3 headliners are under the age of 30 or even all female. everyones mum will say its trash and they want to return their ticket. Fine, let em. Or do the boldest thing and dont put one ticket on sale until after you announce the lineup and see what happens with sales and reaction. If they want to see how the audience is currently then thats what you do. Its still gonna take another generation for the core attendees to be ok with certain bookings.

They sell 135,000 tickets in an hour and could put Boris and Rishi on the Pyramid having a laugh if they want”

No they couldn’t. They absolutely couldn’t. Thankfully I don’t think Emily is stupid annd arrogant enough to believe this. They sell a whole package, which includes getting the biggest headliners they possibly can. It’s a delicate balancing act, to start throwing away one of the most popular parts of that package would be lunacy.

They sell out in an hour precisely cause they have built a festival where people know they are going to get the biggest artists in the world headlining 

You don’t half talk some tosh mate. Boris and Rishi might have an effect on sales next year. 

And there is not general uproar when black artists are booked. Such a d*ck thing to say. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AndyL16 said:

Really don’t think so? - I’d love to see it personally. 

Me too, BMTH put on an exceptional live show. I think Other headliner is more likely for the Glasto demographic though

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Any criticisms of the headline booking policy have to face into the fact that there's probably only been somewhere around a dozen or so geniuses or genii operating in the field of pop music and we got one in 2022 and are getting another one in June.

Pretty sure we had one last year too… 😀 

I definitely think Glastonbury could make a soft headliner gamble every other year if the two that accompany them are obvious draws. Heck, this isn't entirely unheard of - Florence and the Machine (albeit as a late replacement) and Stormzy arguably fit the bill. I'd argue that's possibly going to affect demand, but not to the level where it's going to fail to sell out.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Reg? Nyyyyynah. Great booking of course and he smashed it beyond all measure, but I dunno if I'd stretch to the genius accolade.

Surely it's literally extraordinary talent and creative power?  (amongst other definitions) 

And he has both? 

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Reg? Nyyyyynah. Great booking of course and he smashed it beyond all measure, but I dunno if I'd stretch to the genius accolade.

Subjective innit. 

But in the context of the worthy headliners conversation, he is in the upper tier with your genii. No doubt about that. 

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Surely it's literally extraordinary talent and creative power?  (amongst other definitions) 

And he has both? 

I tend to think of it as related to being a sort of savant, with music almost literally flowing out of them. If he is one he's amongst the lower order of them.

Just now, stuie said:

Subjective innit. 

But in the context of the worthy headliners conversation, he is in the upper tier with your genii. No doubt about that. 

Oh aye. One of the best bookings they've ever made on paper - and then of course he delivered on all counts.

I hoped they’d put Chemical Brothers back on the Pyramid again in light of their big anniversary. Plus their new stuff is on a par with their old stuff and their set looks better than anyone else on TV with the visuals.  They aren’t even in the rumours for Other Stage. Seen them so many times at Glasto & elsewhere but was hoping they’d be back this year. 

Oh and please don’t let Justice clash with Stevie W. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I definitely think Glastonbury could make a soft headliner gamble every other year if the two that accompany them are obvious draws. Heck, this isn't entirely unheard of - Florence and the Machine (albeit as a late replacement) and Stormzy arguably fit the bill. I'd argue that's possibly going to affect demand, but not to the level where it's going to fail to sell out.

What qualifies a booking as a "soft headliner gamble". I'd posit the essential criteria are:

1. Haven't headlined before

2. Not global mega star status

On that basis Dua Lipa in my mind was that booking. Young, relatively new act with only two albums behind her (and one to come). If you're going more of a gamble than that you're just into "not headliner material" territory. 

Edited by gherkin8r
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In recent days we've had Fontaines DC, the Mary Wallopers, Jungle, Moonchild Sanelly, Janelle Monae, SG Lewis and a few others all more or less confirmed.

Fantastic! I've missed the Fontaines news, be great if they get a good slot this year, felt for them being up against Diana Ross last time out, is it solid info that they are appearing? I'd love them to headline the Park or Sub on Other.