2024 Headliners

54 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

I assume there's no new album either, and it's just the usual legacy cash grab tour again.

It’s supply and demand. He’s not robbing people of their cash by not making a new album. Attendance is optional! 

4 hours ago, Porcelina said:

I assume there's no new album either, and it's just the usual legacy cash grab tour again.

Hopefully, yes.

(though probably worth adding - a true Cash Grab tour generally wouldn't include Glastonbury amongst limited dates).

Edited by incident

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I always struggle with that argument as it applies to heritage acts.  You're going to hear the classics, not yards of middling new material.

How often does a heritage act release new material that actually stands with their classic stuff?

Doom and Gloom slapped hard, but struggling to think of many others.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

How often does a heritage act release new material that actually stands with their classic stuff?

Off the top of my head:

David Bowie - Blackstar

Johnny Cash - The American Series

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow

A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from here... thank you for your service

Depending on your definition of "heritage" - My Bloody Valentine - mbv, Slowdive - Slowdive as well

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Off the top of my head:

David Bowie - Blackstar

Johnny Cash - The American Series

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow

A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from here... thank you for your service

Depending on your definition of "heritage" - My Bloody Valentine - mbv, Slowdive - Slowdive as well

Blackstar is a great shout.

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Back to the original question… does anyone really want new material from Stevie Wonder these days?

Does anyone want 3-4 songs taking the place of older, and invariably better, material?

Erm, no! Just checking, probably fair to say his last good new recordings were some songs on Hotter Than July. 1980.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Almost never, but they can sometimes produce material that’s worthwhile. From 2023 I reckon all of these made decent albums, without being classic: The Pretenders, The Rolling Stones, OMD, Paul Simon, Blur, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens.

38 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Almost never, but they can sometimes produce material that’s worthwhile. From 2023 I reckon all of these made decent albums, without being classic: The Pretenders, The Rolling Stones, OMD, Paul Simon, Blur, Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens.

This might stoke controversy, but think there's at least two tracks from I/O that could stand in Peter Gabriel's all-time top-ten solo songs. (One of them is not Live and Let Live, but that is probably my favourite from the record. Absolutely slapped live.)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Why would there be a dj set in the middle?

I may be missing something here, but thought people had been talking that at his most recent shows, there had been some kind of DJ break? Have I got the wrong end of the stick again?