2024 Headliners

34 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

even tho' i constantly bang on about the old days - i have nothing at all against the Pyramid or the main markets (or Babylon) in fact, last year i spent more time at the Pyramid stage than i have EVER done before at one festival.

people on here constantly say things like "dont spend the whole festival at the pyramid, thats not what the festival is about"... or somesuch...

i hold the oposite belief - if you want to spend the whole festival at the Pyramid, i say go for it. 

You know what, if you did that you'd easily get the value from your ticket.... seeing 3 days of line up as individual gigs would cost a fortune.

But, don't do that. 

Explore. 

Get on your Glastonbury Wanderlust.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

It’s interesting to see how people of different ages treat music. I’m 47 and I see in some of my friends this self assurance that their music taste is not just an opinion, it’s better. They’ve been around a while (getting less open-minded) whereas the kids don’t know what they’re talking about.

You can see how it happens. In the 90s I was an Indie kid so I’d buy NME and Select and listen to Steve Lamacq and you got siloed off into a particular type of music. Same when I then got into pills and Dance music and you had to buy the right mags and go to the right record shops and be seen in the cool clubs. You become part of the scene. There was a kudos to being the first to hear something.

Kids don’t do that now. We’ve had an influx at my work of folk in their 20s who are gig and festival-goers and when you ask ‘what type of music are you into?’ none of them have a ‘type’ because they have instant access to all the music ever and listen to whatever they feel like. Nobody gets anything ‘first’ because if someone recommends a track they can be listening to it within 5 seconds. They’re open to whatever and will go and watch all sorts of different stuff at festivals. You know what, they’re doing it right.

I don't think age has anything to do with it.

I'm fairly unusual among many of my mates of a similar age. Most of them have a very varied range of musical tastes.

Each to their own of course.

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

If you say so. Then where’s the precedent for Glastonbury festival being successful while filling the Pyramid with ‘edgy’ acts?

Carter USM headlined the year after Fruitbat beat up Phillip Schofield at the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party. 😄

38 minutes ago, Mich1268 said:

I am jealous of the musical freedom and acces they have which I didn't have at their ages. 

we certainly had musical freedom back then - but i couldn't say i'm jealous of the access they have these days...

back in the day typical saturday for us would be go into town (london) spend ages going between HMV, Virgin, Tower Records, Metalhead, Shades, Selectadisc, Sister Ray...

i'd have £10 in my pocket - enough to buy one record.

could only buy one so you had to be sure!

it was fun, it was a great way to spend a day - then after you'd finally settled on your choice there'd be just enough change for a snakebite on the way home.

kids these days miss out on all that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

we certainly had musical freedom back then - but i couldn't say i'm jealous of the access they have these days...

back in the day typical saturday for us would be go into town (london) spend ages going between HMV, Virgin, Tower Records, Metalhead, Shades, Selectadisc, Sister Ray...

i'd have £10 in my pocket - enough to buy one record.

could only buy one so you had to be sure!

it was fun, it was a great way to spend a day - then after you'd finally settled on your choice there'd be just enough change for a snakebite on the way home.

kids these days miss out on all that.

Ha ha yes this is true! 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I don't think age has anything to do with it.

I'm fairly unusual among many of my mates of a similar age. Most of them have a very varied range of musical tastes.

Each to their own of course.

That wasn’t aimed at you specifically mate. Just an observation.

3 hours ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Have you ever seen the theory that this bloke is the actually the anti-christ?

Performing supposed miracles like curing the blind and the name "Beast" as mentioned in Revelations. Also 666 x 3 is 1998 which is his birth year.

Anyway isn't this supposed to be a Glastonbury thread?

I swear the American conspiracy-floating right is always trying to compare this or that to the devil or Anti-Christ or whatever based on laughably spurious evidence. As seen with a new rumour about Taylor Swift's relationship with an NFL star being proof she's a CIA asset and that the games to get the Kansas City team to the Superbowl were rigged, which... some people need to get out more.

And I admit that's rich coming from me. But it is what it is.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Adele’s shows in Germany in August are European exclusives for 2024, apparently. 

So it says. No sooner is it suggested is it also not gonna happen.

Munich is an odd place for her to do her only Euro shows of the year, or maybe it just feels that way to me.

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

How it feels knowing I'm paying twice or three times as much to see the acts I saw ten years ago:

old.jpg

My sentiments exactly. Still desperately trying to avoid paying three figures for any ticket. Think for an individual gig, I've only done it three times now, and one of those is Swift this summer in Edinburgh.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

He’s permanently harking back to a “golden era” before everything was ruined by trivial petty things like health and safety legislation.

I mean he raises a fair point 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

The irony of people complaining about the headliners being stale and unimaginative on a thread of nearly 400 pages of the same people saying the same sh*t over and over and over again.

It's like some sort of modern art, this thread. But good art - not pretentious, manufactured, artificial w*nk like... I dunno... the KLF. 

If you think this is bad, just wait until they actually announce the headliners..... Woooooooooooo Son, stand well back and watch her go 😘

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

So lets have a look at who I watched at Glastonbury last year:

Thursday: Ewan McVicar, Denis Sulta, and Daniel Avery B2B Richard Fearless

Friday: Billy Nomates, The Comet is Coming, Shy Girl, The Sparks, Kelis, Four Tet, Blessed Madonna , Booty Bass

Saturday: African Head Charge, Dreadzone, Lizzo, Leftfield, Nia Archives, Jamz Supernova

Sunday: Speakers Corner Quartet, Barrington Levy, Ruff Neck Ting 30, The Temple for  Old School DnB

Pretty even mix of the old and the new there I think, and certainly doesn't suggest that I'm an old git living in the past.

Dreadzone were banging, shame you missed Fred Again