2024 Headliners

7 hours ago, nikkic said:

Since we’re on the footballing analogies, Wayne Rooney didn’t need nurturing, he was in the 1st team at 17 scoring worldies.

Some people are just ready. 

And despite all that ability, he never got close to being the best player in the world, or the best English player of all time. Messi, meanwhile, was held back, treated with more care, and…

4 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd be interested to draw up a list of who falls into such a category, given that of the ten highest-grossing tours in history - unadjusted for inflation - there are nine artists.

Seven have headlined Glastonbury - Beyonce, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Guns N' Roses, The Rolling Stones and U2 - while another was booked - Taylor Swift.

That only leaves Harry Styles out. Whichever way we dice it, Glastonbury has had an exceptional hit rate at getting the biggest draws of all-time in the past decade-and-a-half.

Excellent homework! Well done 😀

Anyway, if it does wind up being O-Rod we'll know it wasn't because she the first choice. It'll be because she was Plan B or C after their original strategy didn't pan out.  She might have been on the books as a Secret Set / Special Guest with a view that she could step up if Madge fell through.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:20 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Have I missed something, on the other side of the world at the moment, dipped in here to find this a hot topic.  Or is it just e fest speculation.  I need to know! 

Not in my neck of the woods are ye? We’re closed! 🤣

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

f**k it. I'll have a bit of that....

If it ain’t Madge then Stevie is the next best option.

Will happily clutch at this straw until it turns out to be someone sh*t. 

Edited by nikkic

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Will it top 2010?

Maybe not given he's got another 14 years of mileage in the clock..

Will it still f**k?

Almost certainly...

2010 one of finest shows in fest's history.

If 2024 is billed anything like the "song party" from late 2019 it will, however, be grim. He hasn't really put on any tour/shows of note since those "gigs". 

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ach.. Imma probably expectations of technical excellence to one side and just get mellow and enjoy the groove.  He won't need to be at the top of his game for it to be a fun night.

"

In the second half, Stevie indulges in interminable solo jams on the talkbox and harpejji, and takes nearly half an hour out of the set to give each one of his six backing singers a solo turn. Wonderful talents though they are, it’s not what anyone came to hear.

Most bizarre of all is the 20+ minute DJ set halfway through, where we’re asked to clap and sing along to classic songs from Michael Jackson, Prince, Amy Winehouse and David Bowie, while Stevie and his band remain onstage waiting to resume playing. A proper interval would have been a lot less confusing."

I left early, Cally.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, in Hobsonville , Auckland but sadly leaving for home tomorrow.  Had more than a few drinks in the little creatures over the past few weeks 😉😊

Little Creatures had some very good wares. Where else did you get up to? 

27 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ach.. Imma probably expectations of technical excellence to one side and just get mellow and enjoy the groove.  He won't need to be at the top of his game for it to be a fun night.

Depends on the night for me. If he's Sunday, then party vibes over technical excellence will win it for me.