2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bugger all anarchic about Reading and Leeds anyway. A few 17 year old who can't handle their drink burning down each others tents to a soundtrack of The Killers and Arctic Monkeys.

I totally agree, plus those are events are as corporate as it gets. I just think from the perspective of an American rock band who probably don't know very much about the event, seeing the Glastonbury coverage could make it look like a pop festival predominantly aimed at well off people, and that doesn't strike me as something they'd be into.
I also do wonder if they would be better suited for the Other Stage headliner now; there was definitely a time they could pack out the Pyramid, but think now your average 18-25 year old probably couldn't be less interested (based on the feedback they had when they were booked for R&L). 

Just now, tomf3 said:

I totally agree, plus those are events are as corporate as it gets. I just think from the perspective of an American rock band who probably don't know very much about the event, seeing the Glastonbury coverage could make it look like a pop festival predominantly aimed at well off people, and that doesn't strike me as something they'd be into.
I also do wonder if they would be better suited for the Other Stage headliner now; there was definitely a time they could pack out the Pyramid, but think now your average 18-25 year old probably couldn't be less interested (based on the feedback they had when they were booked for R&L). 

I think it’s most likely that they just won’t be booked for Glastonbury and will end up at Download instead if they ever decide to tour properly again. They’re easily big enough to headline Glastonbury and no way would they be booked lower/on the Other Stage, but I just can’t see them being priority and there are other festivals that they’re more suited for.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They played back in the nineties I thought.  They could ask Mike and El if it's changed much.

But I agree they probably wouldn't be a sufficiently big draw to top the bill overall.

Ah fair enough, totally forgot they played then! I'm probably totally wrong about what I said, just my perception it. Either way it'd be a ruddy good time if they did play again! 

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Coughed up for solo shows that are a completely different audience to R&L

She isn't worth the money for R&L's audience anymore is my point, money would be far better spent elsewhere

Well youre making that assumption it doesn't include the festival... 

And whether you think its worth the money or not is irrelevant. 

Anyway the point is.... with a deal signed with Live Nation the chances of her doing a Live Nation festival are much better than Glasto

3 hours ago, tomf3 said:

Do you really think they are made for the Pyramid? As much as I adore Glastonbury, in the last 25 years it has become so middle class and part of the mainstream. A lot of the media coverage shows snaps of celebs in VIP areas with outrageously expensive glamping etc. without any mention of the political leanings. I can't imagine that's something RATM would want to be associated with, as opposed to say Reading which still seems to retain some of the anarchic spirit.

Lolled. RATM have played Coachella twice and were booked for 2023.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Anyway the point is.... with a deal signed with Live Nation the chances of her doing a Live Nation festival are much better than Glasto

That's true, though it's worth mentioning that U2 were under a very iron clad LN exclusive deal at the time they did Glastonbury in 2011, and Glastonbury does have long term links to LN.

I'm not sure that LN:UK have anything in their portfolio right now that feels right in terms of both size and fit. R+L isn't impossible but just seems slightly wrong, for me, and I can't think of anything else they have that could be a better alternative.

My guess is she does a string of her own shows in the UK, maybe a with Glastonbury added on maybe not - it's possible that if the talks have been going on a while and/or she especially wants to do it then it could've been grandfathered in to the new exclusive deal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomf3 said:

Do you really think they are made for the Pyramid? As much as I adore Glastonbury, in the last 25 years it has become so middle class and part of the mainstream. A lot of the media coverage shows snaps of celebs in VIP areas with outrageously expensive glamping etc. without any mention of the political leanings. I can't imagine that's something RATM would want to be associated with, as opposed to say Reading which still seems to retain some of the anarchic spirit.

I definitely think there's some anarchic spirit left in the festival. Ok, maybe the Pyramid has been cleansed of that over the past decade or so, but maybe it needs a spark to reignite it? I don't know about you, but those skits repeated in between each of the Pyramid acts don't exactly "recharge my activism".

It takes more than some clever art in the south east corner or Billy Bragg's tent to really get people engaged in the important matters going on around the planet. The foundations of the festival are deeply rooted in social and political thinking, the day it's completely eradicated, is the day the festival dies, for me. 

The (cancelled) Reading show of a couple years ago felt like the weirdest fit for RATM. They looked completely out of place, not just amongst the majority of the other acts but within the more corporate environment. I think the only anarchic spirit left at R&L is the annual Sunday night riot. 

So yeah, I think that they're a good match for Glastonbury and what both parties represent. Those songs might be 30 years old, but the content is more relevant than ever.

The Pyramid can either reinvent itself as a platform for protest and enlightenment, as well as the conveyor belt of pop acts with nothing to say or legendary artists looking for one last payday. I think there's room for both.  

4 hours ago, incident said:

That's true, though it's worth mentioning that U2 were under a very iron clad LN exclusive deal at the time they did Glastonbury in 2011, and Glastonbury does have long term links to LN.

I'm not sure that LN:UK have anything in their portfolio right now that feels right in terms of both size and fit. R+L isn't impossible but just seems slightly wrong, for me, and I can't think of anything else they have that could be a better alternative.

My guess is she does a string of her own shows in the UK, maybe a with Glastonbury added on maybe not - it's possible that if the talks have been going on a while and/or she especially wants to do it then it could've been grandfathered in to the new exclusive deal.

LN do own shares in glasto 

18 hours ago, majormajormajor said:

Lolled. RATM have played Coachella twice and were booked for 2023.

Yeah they're also really great friends with the promoters, and Coachella clearly pay enough money that acts can afford not to tour again for a very long time. I'd be very surprised if they're as good friends with the Eavises, and Glastonbury pays rock bottom prices, so not sure it's a worthwhile comparison.