2024 Headliners

27 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

isn't it just run by farm hands anyway .... 

They have a dedicated farm manager who's in charge these days and has been for a while. Michael reportedly keeps his hand in a bit but most stuff is delegated.

The question is more whether Emily will keep the farming operation active once Michael has gone - given that he's said he sees it at as a Farm first, a Festival site second, it's fairly safe to assume that the farming operation sticks around as long as he does.

No idea what the answer is, I don't recall Emily giving any strong indications, and I've got no idea how profitable the farming operation is or exactly what obstacles would be solved (or created) by removing it. I do suspect that (given the size of the site) the farming operation is nowhere near as intensive as it could be if they were looking to maximise resource and that might be with an eye towards making it easier to put on the festival.

2 hours ago, incident said:

A 2028 fallow year would give an another year to rebuild the bank balance, and is likely to coincide with the British Isles hosting Euro 2028 which if it happens will massively drive up the cost of getting various resources in (not least the thousands of security staff who'll be required all over the country). In much the same way as they took a break during the 2012 Olympics and the 1996 Euros.

On that note I'm surprised it's taken this late for UEFA to confirm their preferred Euro 2028 hosting venue given the window had been getting bigger and bigger in recent years. Though a UK bid would have fairly little to do to get ready for it.

40 minutes ago, charlierc said:

On that note I'm surprised it's taken this late for UEFA to confirm their preferred Euro 2028 hosting venue given the window had been getting bigger and bigger in recent years. Though a UK bid would have fairly little to do to get ready for it.

Pretty sure UEFA are waiting (and hoping) for anyone else to submit a bid so that they don't have to give it to us.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Pretty sure UEFA are waiting (and hoping) for anyone else to submit a bid so that they don't have to give it to us.

Way too late for any new bids, the deadline passed last year. If they really are desperate to avoid a British Isles bid then they do have an alternative bid from Turkey (and they disqualified the bid from Russia).

Slow as it is, they're working to the announced timescale - with the decision due to be made public in about 6 weeks.

6 hours ago, incident said:

Any fallow year date is speculation at the moment.

But realistically - it'll be 2026 at the absolute earliest and it wouldn't be a surprise if it stretched to 2028.

2026 is the world cup. That makes the most sense to take it off. No reason to wait til 2028 when its the olympics on a diff continent.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

2026 is the world cup. That makes the most sense to take it off. No reason to wait til 2028 when its the olympics on a diff continent.

What are you on about? The 2026 World Cup is in North America. It doesn't factor into a decision. Nor do the Olympics in 2028.

However the 2028 European Championships are likely to be (mostly) in England. That would significantly impact planning and delivery of the Festival - lots of badged security offered more lucrative (4+ week long) roles elsewhere, lots of temporary structures in use for fan zones etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, incident said:

What are you on about? The 2026 World Cup is in North America. It doesn't factor into a decision. Nor do the Olympics in 2028.

However the 2028 European Championships are likely to be (mostly) in England. That would significantly impact planning and delivery of the Festival - lots of badged security offered more lucrative (4+ week long) roles elsewhere, lots of temporary structures in use for fan zones etc.

See this is your issue. Your talking to Supre. America is superior and we must all follow in their guidance. Such as concert ticket prices, resale prices and of course, concert fees. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

“Sorry everyone, there’s a football tournament 5,000 miles away. We can’t possible have Glastonbury this year.”

17 hours ago, incident said:

Exactly this. They moved fallow year because of 2012 Olympics… they couldn’t even hire portaloos.

58 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Exactly this. They moved fallow year because of 2012 Olympics… they couldn’t even hire portaloos.

The Olympics and Euro football cannot be compared in what infrastructure and things like Portaloos they need. Football stadium have loos where as many of the venues for olympics outside London did not, like those for rowing and sailing.

Edited cos my reading lasses are next door but GF does not need portaloos anyway, uses almost none

Edited by Nobody Interesting

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yes sorry - I read 1995 as 1996............................... but portaloos are irrelevant now as hardly any are used and I stand by the rest of my post

Definitely not suggesting that the Euros will be anywhere near the level of impact of the Olympics of course. But they certainly will be enough of an impact to be a consideration in planning terms, and that may be enough to swing or cement the decision on where to put the floating date.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yes sorry - I read 1995 as 1996............................... but portaloos are irrelevant now as hardly any are used and I stand by the rest of my post

The festival still uses hundreds of portaloos each year they just aren’t visible inside the festival. 

They are used in the camper fields, car parks, on road junctions where stewards are and also some backstage areas. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Keeping the locals sweet I’d guess.

Most folk with farm proximity are earning from it now though, right? And the original generation of folk who didnt like the tone are all now 6 feet under.

If anything there must be a financial incentive from a good chunk of the locals to not take a year off.