2024 Headliners

8 minutes ago, All Caps said:

The 1975 at their Finsbury Park show today have announced another UK tour next year along with confirming they’re working on their sixth album, surely that makes them front runners for next year?

Although a top-billing of The 1975 / Dua Lipa / Madonna does seem rather poppy

I’m still saying Dua could sub a really big headliner and Madge would certainly fit that bill. Although better she tops the bill than subs another dreary all-male rock band.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, VCK said:

So Taylor Swift and...who else do we reckon? Can only think of other pop acts who would realistically do it, which would ironically make the headliners less diverse.

Yeah it'll probably be 2 pop acts, but that's just as diverse as having 2 rock bands this year. If it is Dua and Madge they're from completely different eras too, similar to AM and GNR this year. And at least Dua is a new headliner that has emerged recently, unlike any of the headliners this year.

13 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I’m still saying Dua could sub a really big headliner and Madge would certainly fit that bill. Although better she tops the bill than subs another dreary all-male rock band.

Dua subbing? Gotta be a joke.

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah it'll probably be 2 pop acts, but that's just as diverse as having 2 rock bands this year. If it is Dua and Madge they're from completely different eras too, similar to AM and GNR this year. And at least Dua is a new headliner that has emerged recently, unlike any of the headliners this year.

Dua subbing? Gotta be a joke.

Fair point. Also one British, one American.

But I hope they can pull someone more inspiring out for the third headliner than The 1975. I get they're a no-brainer as they're a currently huge British "rock" act and headlining Glasto is like a rite of passage for acts of their nature, but surely they can get someone more interesting to fill the rock quota. The talk of Blur, Green Day or AC/DC on here sounds better, if not unrealistic.

Edited by VCK

Friday

Pyramid - Depeche Mode, Paramore, Charli XCX, Franz Ferdinand

Other - Doja Cat, Ice Spice

West Holt's - Underworld

Woodsies - Yungblud

Park - Bauhaus

Saturday

Pyramid - Rihanna, Olivia Rodrigo, Wet Leg, Bastille

Other - The Prodigy, Ice Cube

West Holt's - Run The Jewels

Woodsies - Rufus Du Sol

Park - Future Islands

Sunday

Pyramid - Madonna, SZA, Alanis Morrisette, Robbie Williams

Other - Tyler, the Creator, Bloc Party

West Holt's - Erykah Badu

Woodsies - Michael Kiwanuka

Park - Turnstile

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sorcha17 said:

Friday

West Holt's - Underworld

Woodsies - Yungblud

Park - Bauhaus

Saturday

Woodsies - Rufus Du Sol

Park - Future Islands

Sunday

Park - Turnstile

This would be amazing. But, clashing Madonna & Erykah Badu is a big no from me! 

17 minutes ago, Sorcha17 said:

Friday

West Holt's - Underworld

Woodsies - Yungblud

Park - Bauhaus

Saturday

Woodsies - Rufus Du Sol

Park - Future Islands

Sunday

Park - Turnstile

That would be too insane for Glasto to handle. Though the juxtaposition of that against a run of Bastille, Wet Leg, Olivia Rodridgo and Rihanna is funny.

Edited by VCK

3 hours ago, VCK said:

Maybe swap her and Blur around then.

They seem to have a bit of crossover in fanbase demographics.

I dont think Yungblud has entitled and maniacal lgbtq fans who are trying to gatekeep the concerts for themselves.

Forgot to post thos yesterday cause of elon so on a diff note never underestimate the power of k pop. Was told they could not sell out hyde yet here we are.

Edited by Suprefan

3 hours ago, Sorcha17 said:

Friday

West Holt's - Underworld

Woodsies - Yungblud

Park - Bauhaus

Saturday

Woodsies - Rufus Du Sol

Park - Future Islands

Sunday

Park - Turnstile

Both Madonna and Rihanna can probably command some of the highest fees on the market. Somehow, I have doubts that the festival could afford both, but I don't really know how these things work.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

This would be amazing. But, clashing Madonna & Erykah Badu is a big no from me! 

Erykah would be late, what you worried about. Although Madonnas chance of being late  is high also.

Bauhaus vs Depeche is goth on goth crime which you cant forgive. 

Put Alanis as a legend instead if you couldnt pul Robbie. She has the hits. 

1 hour ago, emmanuel said:

Both Madonna and Rihanna can probably command some of the highest fees on the market. Somehow, I have doubts that the festival could afford both, but I don't really know how these things work.

Elton getting 7 million viewers on BBC, one of the most watched TV moments of 2023, must be a good negotiating tool for the fest though, even if they can't pay the going rate. I think Madonna or Rihanna would basically be doing it for the TV audience and associated credibility boost.

13 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Elton getting 7 million viewers on BBC, one of the most watched TV moments of 2023, must be a good negotiating tool for the fest though, even if they can't pay the going rate. I think Madonna or Rihanna would basically be doing it for the TV audience and associated credibility boost.

Yep. If Madge is winding down her career for health reasons then a greatest hits set live on BBC One would be some way to put the cherry on top of her legacy. A much better way to be remembered than falling down the steps at the Brits, at least.

2 hours ago, ProperTea said:

Rihanna is worth over a billion dollars and Madonna has about half that. What credibility do they need. This is the pitch?  "We need you to play the fest cause 7 million people watched Elton on television and we expect you can draw the same." I think the part of them being global superstars gets looked over and theyre both artists that think that way. Why cant the whole world watch them perform, why geo restrictions. Saw a lot of illegal streams last weekend that popped up so that tells you something right there. The fest is pissing away potential income with what the bbc does to the broadcast. We want the event to keep thriving and making money one way or another to keep going but one of the biggest revenue streams is being held hostage.

Edited by Suprefan

55 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Rihanna is worth over a billion dollars and Madonna has about half that. What credibility do they need. This is the pitch?  "We need you to play the fest cause 7 million people watched Elton on television and we expect you can draw the same." I think the part of them being global superstars gets looked over and theyre both artists that think that way. Why cant the whole world watch them perform, why geo restrictions. Saw a lot of illegal streams last weekend that popped up so that tells you something right there. The fest is pissing away potential income with what the bbc does to the broadcast. We want the event to keep thriving and making money one way or another to keep going but one of the biggest revenue streams is being held hostage.

And so says the American.

Are you seriously suggesting glastonbury footage should be paywalled? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Why are Rihanna and Madonna any different to the many international megastars (plenty bigger than those 2) over the years when it comes to "pitching" them to play? They all know the deal when it comes to glastonbury the booking policy isn't a secret.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Why are Rihanna and Madonna any different to the many international megastars (plenty bigger than those 2) over the years when it comes to "pitching" them to play?

Plenty of international megastars that are bigger and more established than Rihanna and Madonna at the time of their booking? Who? I'm not sure how much you can compare to megastars Elton John or Paul McCartney who obviously care a lot about the UK market. Then sure, there's Taylor Swift (2020), but plenty bigger seems a bit diminishing.

Edited by emmanuel