Areas you would cut to save money

Hugh Jass II

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Barely saw anyone doing NOS anywhere.

We were waiting for Diana when we heard the familiar hiss and my mate remarked “there’s a sound we haven’t heard all weekend”.

Isn’t that down to the drug of choice this year?  From what I know (might be wrong I’m no expert) you would take NOS with MDMA as they enhance each other. If you had a nose full of marching powder you would not do NOS. 

Which is better loads of arrogant aggressive knobheads or more chilled people with loads of rubbish and hisses?

20 hours ago, balti-pie said:

it seems glaringly obvious to me: there's absolutely buttloads of dance stuff to do after about midnight, and it all appears to my uneducated ears to be more or less the same, just in a different place. Yeah, you can drone on at me about the difference between hard house and techno all you like, but i could not give a single shite. There's just too much of it. (and little jungle or kickass drum n bass, which i could quite happily get into!) 

I really liked having the Earache express because it was a little haven of metal among a festival that scarcely recognises it exists, so losing that as an option this year really fucking sucked: so lose some of the dance stuff to save money!

Dance acts/Electronic music is some of the cheapest stuff to put on. 

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Who was that?

Can't remember his name bit he was a middle aged Australian who said he lived in Ipswich (Suffolk I presume although know there is one in Oz). Dreadful way to end a great day. Think it was Friday night as he also vented on about Billie Eilish for, I think, being young. Utter berk.

16 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Barely seen a soul doing Nos in there this year. It was actually the place (other than the BBC tent) that I saw security being the most active and present.

I was moaning on about the noise not the nos! It really has a big sound bleed at night up the hill, I think it needs to be moved to help me sleep!

1 hour ago, Fingerbobs said:

Can't remember his name bit he was a middle aged Australian who said he lived in Ipswich (Suffolk I presume although know there is one in Oz). Dreadful way to end a great day. Think it was Friday night as he also vented on about Billie Eilish for, I think, being young. Utter berk.

From a glance at the line-up, sounds like it was Steve Hughes.

You have my condolences. Shit booking.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

7 minutes ago, gfa said:

The big smartwhip cannisters of nos have taken over which are probably less noticeable. Definitely was tons of it in the SE Corner come 4am

Interesting.

And here was me thinking/hoping that people had finally grown out of using that "non-drug"

Oh well

Here's a thought, what areas could they add to make more money without selling out? 

I'm thinking

Flushing toilet pass (buy a pass)

Vaping "lounges" or whatever it is they call them (companies pay to have it)

More drink sponsorships through stalls/areas having pop up bars or exclusivity at existing bars. I've seen patron tequila, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, Veuve Cliquot, Jagermeister and Redbull this summer at other festivals. 

They seem a lot more subtle (to varying degrees) than the big "Carlsberg presents..." In your face stuff of the early 00s.  I'm thinking like the San Remo bar only doing Patron Tequila cocktails, it's already themed so why not put a brand on it?

Edited by Leyrulion

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Here's a thought, what areas could they add to make more money without selling out? 

I'm thinking

More drink sponsorships through stalls/areas having pop up bars or exclusivity at existing bars. I've seen patron tequila, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, Veuve Cliquot, Jagermeister and Redbull this summer at other festivals. 

They seem a lot more subtle (to varying degrees) than the big "Carlsberg presents..." In your face stuff of the early 00s.  I'm thinking like the San Remo bar only doing Patron Tequila cocktails, it's already themed so why not put a brand on it?

This is still selling out.

(Emily removed most of the branding that had started to creep in after she started to become more heavily involved in the festival)

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

(Emily removed most of the branding that had started to creep in after she started to become more heavily involved in the festival)

And part of the reason for that is that selling that kind of stuff doesn't bring in / cut the ticket prices by nearly as much as people would expect. Especially if you want to retain some kind of quality control over it (ie avoid Gambling/Crypto companies).

If they sold naming and branding rights to all 5 main televised Stages, they'd be lucky to cut a couple quid off the tickets.

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm thinking

No branding please. Would ruin the festival. 

10 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I'm thinking

If that is how the festival goes they might as well go the whole hog and have it sponsored by the Tory party.

Glastonbury Festival is not about any of what you suggest and never should be.

'Them and us' has no place at any festival.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If that is how the festival goes they might as well go the whole hog and have it sponsored by the Tory party.

Glastonbury Festival is not about any of what you suggest and never should be.

'Them and us' has no place at any festival.

But is it a better option that raising the price to the point that it prices people out? Isn't that the most "them and us" thing of all?

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

But is it a better option that raising the price to the point that it prices people out? Isn't that the most "them and us" thing of all?

There are other ways to do things without adding any them and us stuff or just increasing prices adinfinitum - but sadly prices will always go up for anything but there is also a ceiling that means any event or service ceases to attract the required number of customers and thus fails.

Where there is a will there is a way and for GF to be the one that sells out to corporate sponsorship is, IMHO, unthinkable given what it stands for.

That said our days at GF are over cos we noticed a change and did not like it and the body is older and more broken so smaller is now better.

4 hours ago, baggienick68 said:

No branding please. Would ruin the festival. 

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is still selling out.

I don't get this train of thought.

EE, Guardian, BBC, Brothers Cider, Carlsberg and Co-op are brands. Even Greenpeace is a brand with its own area.  

There's an absolute shed load of branding already at the festival so people's issue surely isn't branding but the type of organisation doing it. There's plenty of other organisations, businesses and charities out there which could fit in with the Glastonbury ethos.

23 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

EE, Guardian, BBC, Brothers Cider, Carlsberg and Co-op

Are all brands that bring something to the festival infrastructure wise and more of a partnership.

the EE tent is really jarring, and I would love to see it toned down a little. The co-op isn’t branded as a co-op at all. 

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Are all brands that bring something to the festival infrastructure wise and more of a partnership.

the EE tent is really jarring, and I would love to see it toned down a little. The co-op isn’t branded as a co-op at all. 

Yep.

Presumably the alcohol brands bring in a bit of cash, but it wouldn't surprise me if the others named don't pay any actual money for their presence. I'm pretty certain the BBC don't.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That said our days at GF are over cos we noticed a change and did not like it and the body is older and more broken so smaller is now better.

Interested to know what has changed in your opinion.

Wondering if we've spotted the same.