Arcardia at the blood world cup

zahidf

I think a larger scale all-indoors venue would make all the difference, especially if the weather is poor and it is always nice to see dance acts during the day, but also having their full light show, the sound is often better too, especially in the case of stages like Creams' Steel Yard and the old version of The Hangar at Parklife

9 hours ago, gazzared said:

I'd like it if they fucked off Arcadia now and had a structure like Steelyard in its place, i have no idea of costs involved or build times but cant take any longer than the pointless Pier 🤣

I went to see Massive Attack at the Steel Yard in Bristol a few years ago. 

The Steel Yard in particular is a huge space, and pretty soul less. I  get that you said a structure 'like the Steel Yard, but I reckon unless you could guarantee to fill a space like that then you might be looking at a pretty poor experience overall. 

You may as well go back the the huge dance tent of old. An empty structure of that size is really reliant upon crowd mass and little else. 

28 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

I went to see Massive Attack at the Steel Yard in Bristol a few years ago. 

The Steel Yard in particular is a huge space, and pretty soul less. I  get that you said a structure 'like the Steel Yard, but I reckon unless you could guarantee to fill a space like that then you might be looking at a pretty poor experience overall. 

You may as well go back the the huge dance tent of old. An empty structure of that size is really reliant upon crowd mass and little else. 

Yeah would probably be impossible to fill during the day but if they only opened it from say 11pm until 5am and have the likes of call Cox , fat boy slim, Calvin Harris , camelphat, chems , SHM etc etc then I think it would be packed out and spread about the night time crowd . 

I know it'll never happen was just thinking out loud incase they did decide to get rid of Arcadia.

It doesn't necessarily have to be this size, half the size would still be great.

I'd love to see them build maybe a half size one of these with a few extra rooms off it. Like current west holts but all as one 'club' with just one entrance in

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

If you run into a swaying Southgate under the Spider at 3am tell him, "Never play Saka at left-wing back again!"

Cheers.

I will do. I really like Saka but pushed further upfield. 
Also I won’t be bigging up the hosts. I’m there meeting family and seeing a couple of matches.  Their behaviour is appalling 

4 hours ago, Neil said:

I've just been told that nick and Emily are pissed off about how glastos name is getting associated with this. 

watch this space I guess ... press will be press in terms of headline writing .... still not a good thing ... hopefully they change their mind ... must be a decent incentive for them to do it financially though 

4 hours ago, Neil said:

I've just been told that nick and Emily are pissed off about how glastos name is getting associated with this. 

I was saying on the virtual meet. My first two festivals I didn’t know Arcadia was a separate organisation. I thought it was just the name given an area in Glastonbury. I expect your regular festival goer sees it the same way - Glastonbury have sent part of the festival to the World Cup.

The flip side, they are a separate company and, if it doesn’t break a contract, the festival need to keep their nose out of Arcadia business. If they want a say on who and where Arcadia perform, pay them more for exclusivity. It’s business. If it’s such a big deal, don’t invite them back - do that and risk them showing up at other festivals. That show and that expertise will be hard to replace.

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

watch this space I guess ... press will be press in terms of headline writing .... still not a good thing ... hopefully they change their mind ... must be a decent incentive for them to do it financially though 

Unusually, it won't even be the press to blame here.

Of course they're going to mention Glastonbury in association with this. Arcadia started at Glastonbury and has always had its biggest showcase at Glastonbury. While they've done things on their own before, their name is inextricably linked to Glastonbury.

Any UK journalist that doesn't mention Glastonbury within the first 3 lines isn't doing their job.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Of course they're going to mention Glastonbury in association with this. Arcadia started at Glastonbury and has always had its biggest showcase at Glastonbury. While they've done things on their own before, their name is inextricably linked to Glastonbury.

Any UK journalist that doesn't mention Glastonbury within the first 3 lines isn't doing their job.

oh for sure ... they've left themselves wide open to it . 

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Yes but there’s a big difference between what the NME has written. They call it Glastonbury Festivals fire breathing Arcadia spider. The inference is that it’s somehow owned by the festival and hire fee would go there.  More accurate would be the spider that features at the festival.  We all know the situation but many others won’t.  

21 minutes ago, March Hare said:

If it’s such a big deal, don’t invite them back - do that and risk them showing up at other festivals. That show and that expertise will be hard to replace.

Honestly - I don't think it even needs replacing and certainly not like for like. One of those generic hanger type venues posted above would be much cheaper, more space efficient, and probably better suited to maintain volume levels past midnight.

I don't know for certain but I suspect that Arcadia already have the biggest budget of any "late night" area and probably by a substantial margin. They could solve the budget issue with one single fully justified cut.

The biggest obstacle isn't even the threat of being without Arcadia, or them going elsewhere - those things ultimately don't matter - it's what other relationships cutting them would damage.

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes but there’s a big difference between what the NME has written. They call it Glastonbury Festivals fire breathing Arcadia spider. The inference is that it’s somehow owned by the festival and hire fee would go there.  More accurate would be the spider that features at the festival.  We all know the situation but many others won’t.  

I don't think that's a distinction worth worrying about to be honest. The exact ownership/control won't be of any concern to most readers and they wouldn't take it in even if a different choice of words was used.

Edited by incident

1 hour ago, incident said:

Honestly - I don't think it even needs replacing and certainly not like for like. One of those generic hanger type venues posted above would be much cheaper, more space efficient, and probably better suited to maintain volume levels past midnight.

I don't know for certain but I suspect that Arcadia already have the biggest budget of any "late night" area and probably by a substantial margin. They could solve the budget issue with one single fully justified cut.

The biggest obstacle isn't even the threat of being without Arcadia, or them going elsewhere - those things ultimately don't matter - it's what other relationships cutting them would damage.

I don't think that's a distinction worth worrying about to be honest. The exact ownership/control won't be of any concern to most readers and they wouldn't take it in even if a different choice of words was used.

I get your point but my concern is that such a misleading headline infers that the festival is making financial gain from hiring it to this World Cup when those in the know realise that’s not the case. 

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

screenshot is enough I’d say so people don’t accidentally click on a scummy link 

I reckon the festival should put out a press release stating they have no control over the hiring out of the spider, they do not own it or profit in anyway from its use elsewhere. It’s purely and simply an attraction they buy in for the duration of the festival. Scummy journalists from papers like the mail and sun are very good at creating false narratives using speculation and inferences rather than facts.

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I reckon the festival should put out a press release stating they have no control over the hiring out of the spider, they do not own it or profit in anyway from its use elsewhere. It’s purely and simply an attraction they buy in for the duration of the festival. Scummy journalists from papers like the mail and sun are very good at creating false narratives using speculation and inferences rather than facts.

I'm assuming someone in this thread has tweeted them?