NOS ALIVE 2023

Eugenio

On 11/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, clasher said:

I did Nos in 16 and 19 and Mad Cool in 18 and 22.

Lineup wise there's a lot of overlap from top to bottom, although Mad Cool's is stronger (with more stages as well). Mad Cool has 2 alternating main stages setup which works very well, the sound on most stages is excellent, with big screens. While the Mad Cool organizers are notoriously bad in communication with artists and PR before the festival, they more than make it up with how the actual festival is run IMO. They are forced to switch venues again next year though, so I'd be cautious. 

Hotel/apartment is the only option for Mad Cool, however Nos is official partners with Lisboa Camping&Bungalows. You can usually get a camping ticket in the time of the festival for about 40€ if you bring your own tent if I remember correctly. We did that both times we were there. The camp is nice with plenty of facilities - showers and toilets obviously, a little shop, two bars, a pool, etc. Even more important - loads of trees and therefore much needed shade. We did that both times we were there, didn't find it too hot if you kept away from the sun.
In 16 the camp was packed, with a mojito stand and a DJ beside the pool, a screen showing football (it was during the euros) and afterparty that got going in the morning when people started coming back from the festival. In 19 there were less people, no DJ at the pool and no afterparty, but you still had the poolside bar and the bar in the central area of the camp was opened until you wanted more drinks (which we sadly found out only on the last day 😄 ). There's also a free shuttle bus to the festival and back, although going to the festival there's usually quite the traffic jam, so I'd certainly recommend going to the center a couple of hours earlier and then taking a train to the festival.

Both Lisbon and Madrid are great cities to explore, but Lisbon tends to be much more manageable in July - being on the atlantic coast means a lot more wind, which makes 30+ temperatures easier to survive (pack sunscreen. and a hoodie for when the sun goes down. you'll need it). 

Brilliant thanks for this, ive been to Madrid before but not the festival so im leaning towards NOS/Lisbon for that reason alone however of course the lineups will influence my thinking! Either way though i certainly wouldnt be camping at either, i made the mistake of doing that once at Benicassim many years ago and it was brutal! Need the comforts of a hotel/apartment in that heat!

Is there any word on line up/ticket sale date yet? We missed out on Glastonbury in the most brutal way (all details input & ready to pay by 9:20 - but 1 of our 6 had given his details to another group too 😡), so pretty keen to get Nos booked up to take our minds off it. We’ve already booked a hotel, so are ready to go…

Edited by Paulioak

13 hours ago, RossTC said:

Brilliant thanks for this, ive been to Madrid before but not the festival so im leaning towards NOS/Lisbon for that reason alone however of course the lineups will influence my thinking! Either way though i certainly wouldnt be camping at either, i made the mistake of doing that once at Benicassim many years ago and it was brutal! Need the comforts of a hotel/apartment in that heat!

I've been to both Nos and Mad Cool, my experience of them was different to the previous posted. While Mad Cool does have a better lineup I found it to be terribly organised and it ruined our experience of it. Every stage had vip areas so you couldnt get close to the front, card machines went down and there were no cash machines, insane queues for bars and cheapest drink was 12 euros and excessive overcrowding.

On the other hand i've been to nos in 09, 16, 17 and 19 and we are returning again next year. Its a smaller site but not overcrowded, easy to get to front of stages, reasonably priced food and drink and great atmosphere. You can walk from second stage to main stage in a few minutes even when its busy. There isn't a lineup in the world that could get us to return to Mad Cool after the farce we experienced in 2018. Some people say we shouldn't judge it based on 4 years ago, but for me its not worth risking our summer festival plans for one that let us down so badly, when we know Nos always delivers.

• Upvote 2

Mad cool is not mad cool 2018 anymore.

Having been to both Nos Alive 2017 and Mad Cool 2019 I can say Mad Cool was better in most areas.

I really like the fact that stages don't overlap that much. I found with Nos you had to choose what stage to be at or have to leave a set half way through to catch an acts in the tent stage.

But Nos is still a nice fest, it's proximity to the coast causes sound issues and it's a bit chilly at night on occasion.

But Depeche mode in 2017 at Nos was epic.

14 hours ago, Paulioak said:

Is there any word on line up/ticket sale date yet? We missed out on Glastonbury in the most brutal way (all details input & ready to pay by 9:20 - but 1 of our 6 had given his details to another group too 😡), so pretty keen to get Nos booked up to take our minds off it. We’ve already booked a hotel, so are ready to go…

Like 1 week ago they teased that soon there were going to be news. Nothing new after that 

11 hours ago, moz4pm said:

I've been to both Nos and Mad Cool, my experience of them was different to the previous posted. While Mad Cool does have a better lineup I found it to be terribly organised and it ruined our experience of it. Every stage had vip areas so you couldnt get close to the front, card machines went down and there were no cash machines, insane queues for bars and cheapest drink was 12 euros and excessive overcrowding.

That was 18. The first day was a clusterfuck, the second day was much better, this year was a completely different story. There's no more VIP areas, there are (and were) cheaper drinks than 12€, and their 10€ beers are almost a liter.

They are changing venues again though.

11 hours ago, clasher said:

That was 18. The first day was a clusterfuck, the second day was much better, this year was a completely different story. There's no more VIP areas, there are (and were) cheaper drinks than 12€, and their 10€ beers are almost a liter.

They are changing venues again though.

Good to hear they have made improvements but we have such a great time at Nos we don't see the need to risk it especially when the lineups are so similar anyway.

6 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

Where did you see that Mad Cool is announcing on Tuesday?

I should have used 'may' instead of 'will', sorry! But if they add one video per day, the last one (from 2022) should be published on Monday. Maybe that is too far-fetched, but I guess they can't wait much longer...

1 minute ago, mln said:

I should have used 'may' instead of 'will', sorry! But if they add one video per day, the last one (from 2022) should be published on Monday. Maybe that is too far-fetched, but I guess they can't wait much longer...

Yeah, far-fetched unfortunately as the videos for 2020 and 2021 would have to be a rolling straw ball in the desert.

1 hour ago, Karlos12345 said:

Yeah, far-fetched unfortunately as the videos for 2020 and 2021 would have to be a rolling straw ball in the desert.

They would also have to be on Saturday/Sunday when festivals don’t typically announce. I think they’d get away with ignoring them and putting a final teaser out Monday for a big announcement on Tuesday

5 hours ago, diogozsz said:

I’m curious to know if they’ll announce multiple names. If the wording on the article is right and precise, i’m guessing they will. Would be a first for NOS doing this, no? 

NOS Alive will announce several names!  they will announce it now because they want to announce it before the start of the Portuguese national team games.

4 minutes ago, Daniel Ferreira said:

NOS Alive will announce several names!  they will announce it now because they want to announce it before the start of the Portuguese national team games.

The article says that, but it also says that this year promoters are announcing names even earlier than usual, which is not true at all. Last years (and I am not including 2021-2022), at least NOS Alive, by this time, had several names already announced. They are used to announce first names by October. In 2019, they even announced Da Weasel in July.

So, I assume that a band has an embargo or something. 

8 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

Just exclude weekend and it all adds up 🙂 Nevertheless, next week wi be quite interesting!

10 minutes ago, Karlos12345 said:

No teasers yet. Are we sure that news report is reliable?

They updated their social media and website, started ticket sales, added a "Wake up" gif on Twitter. The announcement is definitely imminent, and I guess we have no reason not to believe this media news?

• Thanks 1