NOS ALIVE 2023

Eugenio

I have started this topic planning to do a festival trip next July heading either to Nos Alive or Mad Cool, although it is clear that the former has cheaper prices to eat and drink (you pay roughly the half that you pay at Mad Cool) and a better venue, close to all the facilities and the best monuments in Lisbon; furthermore the accomodations are cheaper in Lisbon than in Madrid, portuguese people speak English quite well, while in Spain they usually speak a very poor English, and at Nos Alive you can get also gifts from market partners (for example t-shirts, hats, sunglasses, chewingums, bags, body cream and even condoms). By the way, Mad Cool has a bigger number of artists performing, more free water points, is faster to send the wristband at home and for Madrid there area cheaper flights than for Lisbon. So, this is my personal experience after having attended 4 days of Nos Alive and one of Mad Cool, this year.

At this time, I believe that we may wait until the first acts will be announced and then choose flights and accomodations. Note that in 2019 the first 2 headliners were announced in September.

9 hours ago, Eugenio said:

I have started this topic planning to do a festival trip next July heading either to Nos Alive or Mad Cool, although it is clear that the former has cheaper prices to eat and drink (you pay roughly the half that you pay at Mad Cool) and a better venue, close to all the facilities and the best monuments in Lisbon; furthermore the accomodations are cheaper in Lisbon than in Madrid, portuguese people speak English quite well, while in Spain they usually speak a very poor English, and at Nos Alive you can get also gifts from market partners (for example t-shirts, hats, sunglasses, chewingums, bags, body cream and even condoms). By the way, Mad Cool has a bigger number of artists performing, more free water points, is faster to send the wristband at home and for Madrid there area cheaper flights than for Lisbon. So, this is my personal experience after having attended 4 days of Nos Alive and one of Mad Cool, this year.

At this time, I believe that we may wait until the first acts will be announced and then choose flights and accomodations. Note that in 2019 the first 2 headliners were announced in September.

Love NOS ALIVE . I have been 3 times and always have a great time . This years lineup was not nearly as good as the others but we can blame that on covid and my age 🙂 . I have a voucher from Tap Airlines to use so will defiantly go again next year. I hope they don't announce some bands , people from overseas book flights and hotels etc and then they decide to announce an extra day like last time . Cost me a lot to change flights and the bands announced fro Wednesday really interested me .

On 9/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Eugenio said:

I'm not sure about that. I certainly found a decent standard of English in most places I went to on my visits to Spain in 2018/19. Certainly better than my standard of Spanish, though turns out if you don't use your GCSE grade skills in nearly 10 years, you are likely to forget all of it.

I will agree on the note of Madrid having cheaper flights and felt like it also had generally cheaper accommodation - had looked into going for Rock in Rio Lisboa but was being quoted larger prices for both than I perhaps anticipated.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Eugenio said:

I've been to Nos in 09, 16, 17 and 19 and we are returning next year regardless of what the lineup is, one of best organised festivals around and guaranteed to have a great time. In contrast I went to Mad Cool in 2018 (which had the best lineup i've ever seen) but in contrast is the worst festival I've been to. Poorly organised, too expensive, VIP areas for the stages ruining the atmosphere, stages too close together so everywhere is overcrowded. We onky saw 5 bands across the whole weekend in 2018 as a result of the poor organisation and prices. Do yourself a favour, ignore whatever lineup Mad Cool puts on and just go to Nos.

There's a reddit thread from the day after night one of Mad Cool 2018 that goes into detail about how bad it was

Edited by moz4pm

On 9/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, moz4pm said:

I've been to Nos in 09, 16, 17 and 19 and we are returning next year regardless of what the lineup is, one of best organised festivals around and guaranteed to have a great time. In contrast I went to Mad Cool in 2018 (which had the best lineup i've ever seen) but in contrast is the worst festival I've been to. Poorly organised, too expensive, VIP areas for the stages ruining the atmosphere, stages too close together so everywhere is overcrowded. We onky saw 5 bands across the whole weekend in 2018 as a result of the poor organisation and prices. Do yourself a favour, ignore whatever lineup Mad Cool puts on and just go to Nos.

There's a reddit thread from the day after night one of Mad Cool 2018 that goes into detail about how bad it was

Was tremendously run this year I thought, and going by the reviews in the Mad Cool thread, it wasnt just me. Shouldnt go on something from 4 years ago.

• Upvote 5

On 9/15/2022 at 10:15 AM, gingerevans84 said:

Was tremendously run this year I thought, and going by the reviews in the Mad Cool thread, it wasnt just me. Shouldnt go on something from 4 years ago.

It's not a risk I'm willing to take when I know Nos is fantastic every time.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jj200 said:

I think they have a show in France on the 8th so if muse are one of the headliners the 6th is the most likely leaving the 7th as a travel day 

Yup, Stade de France on the 8th. Could well be one on the 9th as well if sales are strong, but given somebody leaked they're doing Werchter and Hurricane/Southside, it seems like a split stadium/festival tour is what they're going for.

• 1 month later...