2023 Wishlist

Nick07

10 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Really! Teenage Fanclub played Big Top. Surely they're a bigger deal than The Delgados?

BTW, I'm not dissing Delgados. As I explained earlier, they are my dream booking. I'd be delighted if they played Woods headliner - the longer their set, the happier I'll be - genuinely one of my top 10 favourite bands ever! 🙂

I doubt they're too big for EOTR; lack of recognition was reason they went solo all those years ago and I saw Emma Pollok play brilliant songs to a hundred since then. But then I have no concept of what's "too big" !

48 minutes ago, killyourtv said:

Took my 23 year old son to see them in Sheffield as mentioned above. I described them as a bit Mogwai with songs and epic strings. He'd never heard of them but was impressed. Crowd at Leadmill almost entirely blokes in 50s (says he). I don't really want to see bands playing old stuff at EOTR, but I might go to Deer Shed again (it's a lovely festival).

Why though? I've been to EOTR every year apart from the first and I love discovering new stuff every year, but I also love watching acts I've loved for years - Flaming Lips, David Byrne, Mogwai, Sufjan, Bright Eyes, Belle & Sebastian, Sigur Ros, etc. The mix of the new and the familiar is what makes EOTR the best festival on the planet as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by Punksnotdead
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Why though? I've been to EOTR every year apart from the first and I love discovering new stuff every year, but I also love watching acts I've loved for years - Flaming Lips, David Byrne, Mogwai, Sufjan, Bright Eyes, Belle & Sebastian, Sigur Ros, etc. The mix of the new and the familiar is what makes EOTR the best festival on the planet as far as I'm concerned!

I think there's a big difference between bands that have been going for ages and are still relevant and doing interesting stuff; B&S (just released one of the best albums of their career), David Byrne etc and bands whose glory days are well behind them and are just an exercise in nostalgia (Pixies, Flaming Lips). All in favour of the former, but for me, don't think EOTR should be booking the latter.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

On 1/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, Guy Incognito said:

Definitely seems like Part Chimp are touring or at least doing a few shows. Would like Hey Colossus too. 

29ff4c81e2a0966209c5f3c10f0efae0ef361599.thumb.jpeg.493b7c890383f6e9186920601090813e.jpeg

Haress are great. One of my albums of the year last year. If they played EOTR I'd imagine them on the Talking Heads stage.

Web of Lies would be nice too.

Just listened to Thee Alcoholics, not necessarily music for a Saturday morning but would be an interesting booking for EOTR.

11 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Really! Teenage Fanclub played Big Top. Surely they're a bigger deal than The Delgados?

Compared to many, so were Yard Act, Dry Cleaning Idles, Fontaines DC, Sleaford Mods... they were likely more of a general draw than Osees who did headline Garden that day. But the Delgados feel like they fit Garden much better. (And who played before TFC that year? Scritti Politti!)

13 hours ago, Mardy said:

I think there's a big difference between bands that have been going for ages and are still relevant and doing interesting stuff; B&S (just released one of the best albums of their career), David Byrne etc and bands whose glory days are well behind them and are just an exercise in nostalgia (Pixies, Flaming Lips). All in favour of the former, but for me, don't think EOTR should be booking the latter.

That's exactly the answer to @Punksnotdead, and it's entirely a personal thing. I want to hear new songs I've never heard before at EOTR, not the songs I grew up with. 

57 minutes ago, killyourtv said:

That's exactly the answer to @Punksnotdead, and it's entirely a personal thing. I want to hear new songs I've never heard before at EOTR, not the songs I grew up with. 

Is there not a midpoint, though? Both in terms of what kind of band it is playing - a lot of people won't have seen bands like the Delgados live, only going by reputation - or by rarity. After tonight's news I've been thinking about seeing Television at Green Man 2015*, a festival where I saw Neutral Milk Hotel a year or two earlier. I don't live in London, I can't really get down there on a weekday, it's not like they'd always be around, I was never going to see them under any other circumstances. I know the Delgados are some steps down from their rarefication but I couldn't get to any of the tour dates and for all we know they may not come round again.

(* and missing Marquee Moon as they clashed with The Fall)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lester_Freamon said:

Last.fm is now also listing The Walkmen as playing.

Wonder who's adding these. I know it seems fairly obvious to think the Walkmen and Wilco might be playing from their other activity but Gwenno too is a curveball (not that she wouldn't be but there's nothing obvious to say so except she's also at Moseley Folk, subbing Squeeze on the Friday)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

10 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Wonder who's adding these. I know it seems fairly obvious to think the Walkmen and Wilco might be playing from their other activity but Gwenno too is a curveball (not that she wouldn't be but there's nothing obvious to say so except she's also at Moseley Folk, subbing Squeeze on the Friday)

Surely it’s just assumption for all three. 

Gwenno is no different go Wilco. 

1 hour ago, Nick07 said:

Surely it’s just assumption for all three. 

Gwenno is no different go Wilco. 

It might be, in that everything is an assumption until it's confirmed. (Most of us seem very sure that Big Thief are finally headlining despite having made no other indications of coming to Europe and that they'll already have been touring their album for eighteen months by then as they have US dates to early August) But picking out those two, one of whom wouldn't headline, seems very specific.

22 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Is there not a midpoint, though? Both in terms of what kind of band it is playing - a lot of people won't have seen bands like the Delgados live, only going by reputation - or by rarity. After tonight's news I've been thinking about seeing Television at Green Man 2015*, a festival where I saw Neutral Milk Hotel a year or two earlier. I don't live in London, I can't really get down there on a weekday, it's not like they'd always be around, I was never going to see them under any other circumstances. I know the Delgados are some steps down from their rarefication but I couldn't get to any of the tour dates and for all we know they may not come round again.

(* and missing Marquee Moon as they clashed with The Fall)

You're completely right, of course, and I'm entirely a hypocrite; I went and saw the Delgados play their old stuff last week and they were brilliant. It's just my personal preference for new songs in sets; it's why I always loved the Fall sets. In 2015 I'd have watched the unpredictable Fall rather than see Television, in their 60s, play one of the greatest albums of all time live.

And I'd hate to deprive @Punksnotdeadfrom seeing the Delgados at EOTR; there'd be another completely new artist playing the Tipi for me.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not a hope of Bjork. Would mean 2 nights in a row for her and travel from Portugal to Wiltshire and back to Madrid.

The travel isn't the issue, over the summer artists play different countries in consecutive days all the time. It's that these are theatrical arena shows with surround sound enabled stage design, visuals and an enormous cast including a choir and woodwind and percussion sections. In other words, even if she was within EOTR's range, not a festival show.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

The travel isn't the issue, over the summer artists play different countries in consecutive days all the time. It's that these are theatrical arena shows with surround sound enabled stage design, visuals and an enormous cast including a choir and woodwind and percussion sections. In other words, even if she was within EOTR's range, not a festival show.

She's playing Coachella and did BlueDot last year. Whilst it is out of EOTRs range I think the idea that this just isn't available for a festival is wrong. Would not be surprised to see APE or GM have her. Can also see her own solo gigs but don't know why she didn't just announce them with these if that was the case.