Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

Coldplay are a fantastic live act, they put a huge amount of effort into making it a feel good, life affirming singalong event that the whole crowd feels engaged with on a level other artists just don't come close to.  They aren't musically amazing, but have a collection of tunes that work well live and even if their albums these days are largely uninteresting they manage to pack a tune or two onto every one that will go down a storm live.

For me they have a similar pattern to Oasis or many other bands: decent debut, massive follow up, middling third album and then things just got progressively less interesting and formulaic with every subsequent release.  Everyday life, however, was a solid late career album that bucked the trend.

I first saw them mid afternoon at glasto in 2000 the weekend before they released Yellow as a single, they put on a good show.  I saw them headline in 2011 and 2016 and both were highlights of my festival those years.  I would not grumble if they returned as a headliner, personally. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Who's doing this exactly?

Maybe it’s the thread title, why the hate? Lots of music styles and bands are not to my taste but I would never say hate. It just seems it’s become fashionable to criticise Chris Martin and the band whenever they make a guest appearance or are booked for the festival. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Maybe it’s the thread title, why the hate? Lots of music styles and bands are not to my taste but I would never say hate. It just seems it’s become fashionable to criticise Chris Martin and the band whenever they make a guest appearance or are booked for the festival. 

I think it's ok to criticise if Coldplay are booked again any time soon. As I sad earlier they're headlining every four festivals on average these days, to me that's lazy and uninspired (for clarity I'd be saying this about any act booked to headline so regularly). 

35 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Coldplay are a fantastic live act, they put a huge amount of effort into making it a feel good, life affirming singalong event that the whole crowd feels engaged with on a level other artists just don't come close to. 

Have to challenge this, plenty of live acts "put a huge amount of effort into making it a feel good, life affirming singalong event that the whole crowd feels engaged". 

I've never seen Coldplay, but I can't believe that no other bands/artists come close.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Have to challenge this, plenty of live acts "put a huge amount of effort into making it a feel good, life affirming singalong event that the whole crowd feels engaged". 

I've never seen Coldplay, but I can't believe that no other bands/artists come close.

You're right about the second part, there are plenty of acts that put on a great live show. Coldplay happen to be among them though. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

In fairness I meant to say most others.  The level of spectacle and pantomime nature of the their shows is really on another level, much like another much maligned (mostly by me) act of the previous generation, U2 achieved with Zoo TV.

I'm not saying that makes it the best gig, or that you couldn't go to see an act you love and prefer it yourself.  But anyone at a coldplay gig gets a kind of megachurch audience experience where everyone is drawn along with the enthusiasm and it is this shared experience beyond the music which makes them stand out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

If anyones fed up slagging off Coldplay , Muse have announced a summer tour next year😊, just saying!  Glasgow on Glastonbury Friday. 

Not a muse fan, but have nothing bad to say about them at all, just indifferent 🙂 I've never seen them live though, so would definitely make an effort for any Glasto set, clashes allowing. 

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Would everyone here crying about Coldplay getting slandered expend the same courtesy to, say, Nickelback? Or is it kinda fun sometimes hamlessly poking fun at something as a collective?

Are we supposed to hate Nickelback too? I must have missed that memo. 😕 Wouldn't say I'm a fan as such, but again, I'd go and see their set, and I do like some of their songs. Actually, you know what, I'd go as far as to say, I'd like to see them play. 🤷‍♂️

"People listen to Coldplay & voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jez". 

I kid, I don't hate them (in fact I don't hate any artist), I just feel indifferent towards them now. I actually liked the earlier stuff, Rush of Blood & Viva were decent enough. 

Simple at a festival right, don't like them off you pop. Never understood people starting petitions like when Metallica played, probably people who weren't even going in the first place!

Edited by joeltg

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

But that's just the thread title, from a fan. There's plenty of people don't like them but most of the 'haters' in this thread seem more like indifferent shruggers.

41 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Sure Chris martins having sleepless nights being roasted by a guy who calls the pyramid el pointo 

Well in fairness who knows the impact it had on him ?! Not the el pointio bit Obs … but the online stuff. … a casual joke for many but it’s often hard to differentiate as this thread shows in places … he’s already mentioned he needed a break from Glastonbury. He’s a nice bloke so why hammer him even in jest … the internet can be shit at times . 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

But that's just the thread title, from a fan. There's plenty of people don't like them but most of the 'haters' in this thread seem more like indifferent shruggers.

To be fair, I've regretted the thread title since page 1 🙈 Way too strong a word to use.

There definitely are real 'haters' out there, but the majority, the people I wanted to hear from, are just folk who are either indifferent, or don't like them. They do tend to get a disproportionate amount of criticism from this group of people, and I just wondered why. 🙂 

What I find odd is the number of comments saying they liked the first two albums but nothing after. The first one especially is, to my ears, pretty lightweight generic indie bar a couple of songs. Viva La Vida and Everyday Life are by far their most interesting albums. Since 2008 they’ve developed a knack for genuinely uplifting (which is quite difficult) pop music. The first two albums have good solid songs but you can see how much they set the stage for all the earnest acoustic guitar boys after.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Well in fairness who knows the impact it had on him ?! Not the el pointio bit Obs … but the online stuff. … a casual joke for many but it’s often hard to differentiate as this thread shows in places … he’s already mentioned he needed a break from Glastonbury. He’s a nice bloke so why hammer him even in jest … the internet can be shit at times . 

He probably did feel it. I saw them in 2011 and was struck by their genuine pleasure in being on that stage. They came across as really really loving it. I only saw 2016 on TV (because LCD Soundsystem) and the same was true. Off the back of Glastonbury 11 I saw them in Manchester in 2012. My sister bought the program and they even mentioned Glastonbury a few times in there as their favourite place to play.

5 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Are we supposed to hate Nickelback too? I must have missed that memo. 😕 Wouldn't say I'm a fan as such, but again, I'd go and see their set, and I do like some of their songs. Actually, you know what, I'd go as far as to say, I'd like to see them play. 🤷‍♂️

Have you ever said anything negative about a band as a bit of a joke? Razorlight are landfill indie? Rod Stewart is shit now he's for grannies? 

Honestly if you stand up for every band that a group slates that's gotta be fucking exhausting. No harm in bashing an incredibly successful band, if it's not making anyone feel shit.

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Ah, bless him. Perhaps he can take comfort from counting his millions while the rest of us struggle to buy our food and heat our homes this winter. 

I'm not having a go at people that get slated on the Internet, but come on, let's have a sense of perspective!

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Have you ever said anything negative about a band as a bit of a joke? Razorlight are landfill indie? Rod Stewart is shit now he's for grannies? 

Honestly if you stand up for every band that a group slates that's gotta be fucking exhausting. No harm in bashing an incredibly successful band, if it's not making anyone feel shit.

Of course I have, but I think you misunderstand the point of the thread, it wasn't to 'stand up' for anyone, it was to discuss the reasons people don't like them / are indifferent to them / hate them, because I feel they get a disproportionate amount of stick, particularly from this forum. I'm not about to stand up for Coldplay and tell anybody that their opinion is wrong, it's their opinion, and I respect it. I'm just intrigued as to their reasons. 🙂 

What good would standing up for them do anyway? People like what they like, and don't like what they don't like, it would be a pointless exercise. 

There's been some interesting answers in here, a real spread...

• Some just don't like the music at all.
  • Some liked their first few albums, but have felt let down with the direction taken musically since.
  • Some don't mind them, but are sick of seeing them at Glasto.
  • Some are completely indifferent.
  • Some like them. 

An intriguing bunch of responses, glad I asked the question. The most intriguing one to me is those that liked their first few albums but have not liked the albums since. I feel like that happens a lot with bands. A slight tweak to a bands 'formula' or loading balance of their albums (such as more upbeat songs) seems to be enough to put some folk off a band's music.

A good case study for this would be Bring Me The Horizon, they have changed their style a few times, and have been slated at times by elements of their original fans, whilst increasing in popularity generally. I am not a big fan of screaming vocals / death growls, and wasn't keen on their earlier stuff. But I do like their later stuff... Their original fans probably dislike people like me. 

Edited by Alvoram