Volunteering 2023

neil93

Just seen on FB that the recycling crew bar crawl on the Tuesday has been cancelled.  But am sure there will be a few efesters (myself included) wandering around the bars on Tuesday.

There is still the planned efests workers/volunteers one at the Tow and Hitch on the Monday night.

9 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

Quite likely been answered in the previous 109 pages of this thread (!?!), but apart from Tow & Hitch, how many workers bars are there ?  And which are recommended ?

I can think of at least 12 off the top of my head, one for most of the main areas plus Tom's Bar in the recycling crew campsite. I'm sure the Oxfield had a couple taps in the marquee the first year I went but they seem to have disappeared in favour of cans out the catering fridge since, which is a bit of a shame.

Biggest recs will be Maceos (Block 9) and Tow and Hitch (Arcadia) but I also really rate Acoustic for a chill, and Unfairground always seems to have good DJs on.

We’re travelling in a group of three and arriving into Castle Cary at about 12:30pm on Saturday 17th June. We’ll need to get a taxi as I don’t believe the shuttle buses are running until Sunday. 

We are trying to book a six seater (conscious of the amount of stuff) but we have had zero luck after calling at least 12 companies. 

The only offer we’ve had so far is an estate car which I don’t think we’ll fit all the stuff in. 

Does anyone have any suggestions / contacts who can sort us?

5 minutes ago, gordong said:

We’re travelling in a group of three and arriving into Castle Cary at about 12:30pm on Saturday 17th June. We’ll need to get a taxi as I don’t believe the shuttle buses are running until Sunday. 

We are trying to book a six seater (conscious of the amount of stuff) but we have had zero luck after calling at least 12 companies. 

The only offer we’ve had so far is an estate car which I don’t think we’ll fit all the stuff in. 

Does anyone have any suggestions / contacts who can sort us?

Do you have an option of going to another station in a more populated area or have you bought tickets already? You could train to Bristol and bus to Glastonbury and get a cab from there, or one straight from Bristol.

Edited by Johnnyseven

20 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Do you have an option of going to another station in a more populated area or have you bought tickets already? You could train to Bristol and bus to Glastonbury and get a cab from there, or one straight from Bristol.

We stupidly steamed ahead and booked the train to Castle Cary as I didn’t think this would be such an issue. Although you’ve just made me think of the possibility of getting on the train at Castle Cary to another area a few stops away. 

7 minutes ago, gordong said:

We stupidly steamed ahead and booked the train to Castle Cary as I didn’t think this would be such an issue. Although you’ve just made me think of the possibility of getting on the train at Castle Cary to another area a few stops away. 

I think the only option you've got is Bruton. It might be worth looking into buses from there to Shepton Mallet and then a taxi.

1 hour ago, gordong said:

he only offer we’ve had so far is an estate car which I don’t think we’ll fit all the stuff in. 

You'd be surprised how much can fit. You're talking 3 rucksacks, 3 tents, 3 big day bags and a couple bags for life. Surely that will fit.

Worst case surely two trips?l but at least you're there.

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You'd be surprised how much can fit. You're talking 3 rucksacks, 3 tents, 3 big day bags and a couple bags for life. Surely that will fit.

Worst case surely two trips?l but at least you're there.

Yeah, think you’re right actually. It’s only two tents, and we can put one of the seats down as there’s only three of us! We’ve asked to book that car, thank you. 

Any Estate car should be able to cope with a Driver plus 3 passengers and their luggage without any problems. Even some smaller cars should. Especially for such a short distance, it's not like you're sat there for the full length of the M5. Worst case scenario is that those of you in the back need to have bags on laps - but again, it's for 10 minutes max.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:11 PM, dondo said:

Just seen on FB that the recycling crew bar crawl on the Tuesday has been cancelled.  But am sure there will be a few efesters (myself included) wandering around the bars on Tuesday.

There is still the planned efests workers/volunteers one at the Tow and Hitch on the Monday night.

I will be for sure mate

On 6/5/2023 at 10:08 PM, Harry MonkFish said:

Thanks for this. I've checked and I'll be sent a parking permit through the post. The bloke with my tickets and stuff is on site from the Monday so I'm fully prepared for a pain in the arse trying to get the tickets from him. But I'll worry about that once I'm there. 

You must be well connected as I know many who tried but did not get a parking permit - the last time I had one was many years ago { parked in the press area - Big note - a lot has has changed since then } - they used to have a  portacabin { outside the wall } but no bugger was there but by Luck Scottish Security { they work in the bars } was driving past in a Land rover and offered me a lift to the Crew site - I was driving in and went hunting for the guy who should have been working in the portacabin - He Claimed there was no one waiting when I knew there was 40 people outside it waiting -

A shot from 2022 all that mob in the middle are waiting for worker tickets - it was so hot  even at 17.40 ' I was sitting in shade ' - I would imagine they will use the same area this year.

_174046059_HDR.thumb.jpg.e39149cbf814cb89afd0d95241fe9c2b.jpg

For anyone who was on the Zoom Steward training yesterday afternoon with Andy, has your Oxfam profile under training now got a mark against it or still ticked as complete?

I filled in their feedback questionnaire and answered the 3 picture rounds so just hoping my attendance was logged 🙂 cheers 

1 minute ago, northernbro said:

For anyone who was on the Zoom Steward training yesterday afternoon with Andy, has your Oxfam profile under training now got a mark against it or still ticked as complete?

I filled in their feedback questionnaire and answered the 3 picture rounds so just hoping my attendance was logged 🙂 cheers 

Mine's showing as this still:

image.png.31f8b19d931327ecd9fe76a72d007837.png

It sounds like it's all done manually in terms of the checking so suspect it'll be today / tomorrow it'll be marked as complete.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, northernbro said:

I was there and still showing yellow. I imagine it's a manual process though and don't imagine it'll be started until the working week starts. I wouldn't worry about it yet, give them a few days.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yeah it'll probably be done by later today once they're back in the office

Wouldn't even worry if it takes a day or two. I suspect the priority today is wrapping up Download related stuff.

Edited by incident

9 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Handful of Latitude, Shambala and Boardmasters places popping in and out today. Last chance saloon now 🫡 Good luck to the remaining ticketless! Keep the faith.

Tell me about it. Every time my phone pings I panic thinking it’s Glastonbury popping up. Still hopeful a few places will materialise over the next week 🙏🏻

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Anyone else think its odd that we haven't had any efest successes on this thread for over a week???

Or news of any last minute places with Oxfam.

Is it over?

Hopefully Oxfam are saving up any last minute cancellations till the end of the week then an abundance of places will appear 🙏🏻😂.

2 minutes ago, Field of Avalon said:

Hopefully Oxfam are saving up any last minute cancellations till the end of the week then an abundance of places will appear 🙏🏻😂.

In previous years there have been places late in the week but there are also places in the lead in.  Hopefully it isn’t scheduled for another 06:47am release 😂