Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 hour ago, muffpuffin said:

I would be very interested to hear what they say as my other half is in a similar position. I think the person he put down as reference might be on holiday until the end of the week and probably isn't the sort of person to check emails while away!

If you can use someone else I would. It's literally a link they have to click.

3 hours ago, TheBurns said:

Anyone know what the story is with bringing a tent on a plane?

Also if anyone else is going from Bristol I'm happy to car share or share a taxi

Whenever I’ve flown with a tent it’s counted as hand baggage, but it varies between location and seems to be somewhat discretionary as to whether pegs are ok. So depending on where you’re flying from they could be confiscated. If you have hold luggage too then separate your pegs and send them that way. Otherwise, if you’re hand baggage only, then just be aware that there’s an outside chance you’ll need to source new pegs on arrival.

12 hours ago, ced221_ said:

I am feeling nervous about this - not sure if I can get my reference sorted within 24 hours! I have messaged oxfam on Twitter and Facebook so will let you know when I hear back

Who do Oxfam accept as a referee? Does it have to be a current or previous employer or can it be a professional person who knows you?

13 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Who do Oxfam accept as a referee? Does it have to be a current or previous employer or can it be a professional person who knows you?

I think both are fine. I used my friend who works in law and the reference has been accepted.

14 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I do know of one actively recruiting that I've not put on there because (imo) it's a really terrible volunteering deal. 

http://www.oasiscarnival.co.uk/glastonbury-festival/

They do roads outside the fence.

I've not put them on because

A)The campsite is the Shepton Mallet side of Pilton. (An awful trek outside the fest).

B) You can't get in until Thursday evening at the earliest "Tickets will be handed out at 4pm on Thursday if you have completed one shift, if you have not completed a shift by that time it will be handed to you at the end of your first shift"

This organisation isn't exactly selling itself on that website. It makes it look like they'll be a nightmare to work for. Anyone had any experience with them?

20 minutes ago, Afount said:

When I’m looking to try and grab any additional Oxfam places that come up. The Glastonbury festival you cannot click, any ways to get around this? 

thanks! 

You cant grab additional on the same account if thats what you are trying? It will say "Signed up" and be greyed out.

If its a different account and it says "Sold Out" then no you cant select it... thats the whole point. You need to wait for it to change to just "Glastonbury" 

Just saw a spot after 24 hours of solid refreshing and shat myself 😅

Wasn’t quick enough and currently on the proceed page but gonna just keep clicking that as it’s easier than the previous drop down / check boxes  etc. 

I think faymondo got in that way? 

1 minute ago, golden egg said:

Just saw a spot after 24 hours of solid refreshing and shat myself 😅

Wasn’t quick enough and currently on the proceed page but gonna just keep clicking that as it’s easier than the previous drop down / check boxes  etc. 

I think faymondo got in that way? 

Well it wasn;t me, I didn't even see it change ... still refreshing 🙂

41 minutes ago, TheBurns said:

Anyone know what time do oxfam volunteers need to be on site on the Tuesday?

You need to be onsite by 8pm on Tuesday at the latest, but you can arrive any time between 10am and 8pm on either Monday or Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Once you’re on the next payment bit is it still fastest fingers or is the spot reserved for a few minutes until you pay or fail to pay?

Fastest finger first I believe 

14 minutes ago, golden egg said:

Once you’re on the next payment bit is it still fastest fingers or is the spot reserved for a few minutes until you pay or fail to pay?

I sat on the payment screen for about six minutes yesterday at the big 11am rush while my partner tried to get a spot. Payment went through no bother, so I think it’s reserved once you are there.