latitude 2023

jj200

On 8/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, Raindow Rhythms said:

My take on it is that between 2017 and 2020 it became much more Radio 2, but in the last two years it has returned to its 6Music leanings, albeit not amongst the headliners.

I'm not claiming that it has returned to its halcyon days - far from it - but if 6Music is your station of choice, there's lots to get your teeth into.

I actually think that's fair (not saying I'm U turning here 😉 ) and certainly the undercard was strong enough to be pretty attractive when it was the only guaranteed option immediately post COVID - helped no end by being forced to choose British & Irish acts I think.

To be fair to FR, when they moved the weekend and upped the capacity they needed to shift more tickets and those who still wanted the likes of Cave, Yorke, Harvey, Kraftwerk, Portishead (not a fan personally), Bon Iver etc at the top of their line up were the casualties. And personally I'd still be interested (Henham is just gorgeous) if at the same time they hadn't ramped up the commercials (Poetry lost for ... Carlsberg;  Film & Music lost for .... Lineker) and begun ars*ing around with the General Camping format.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, Raindow Rhythms said:

My take on it is that between 2017 and 2020 it became much more Radio 2, but in the last two years it has returned to its 6Music leanings, albeit not amongst the headliners.

These are acts that played this year that have all featured on the 6 Music playlists in recent months: Kae Tempest, Foals, Katy J Pearson, Maximo Park, Bessie Turner, Samantha Crain, Curtis Harding, Billie Marten, Porridge Radio, Phoebe Bridgers, Orlando Weeks, Porij, Fontaines DC, Little Simz, Los Bitchos, Sea Power.

I'm not claiming that it has returned to its halcyon days - far from it - but if 6Music is your station of choice, there's lots to get your teeth into.

I think 2021 was the perfect split, more of the Radio 1/2 stuff on the Obelisk with the 6 Music stuff covering the other music stages and there's was a really great mix of acts on as well.

I always think the fest has one of the most diverse lineups in the country and sticking to something similar from 2018-21 will serve it well in future, 2022 was a little too odd a mix though imo.

It definitely didn't seem as busy this head so I'm hoping they're going to try and put a stronger lineup together to get another sell out 

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, riverlodge said:

Agree with this 100%. And I'm declaring an interest here, did Latte for ten years straight 2008-17 then last year as a COVID 'special', but like many have given up on it as it moved to R2 / R1 flavour from 6Music.

Latitude could have had a look in with Pulp if like a number of other festivals they'd positively booked JarvIS or even had Jarvis DJ'ing these past few years. Can definitely see Eavis getting Pulp headlining the Other Stage, and then also see them main stage headlining something with credibility like Green Man / EOTR, and just maybe something niche close to home like Tramlines / Y Not or Hillsboro' / Sheffield.

Likewise PJ Harvey. Latitude had every opportunity to book her back when it was actually a brave festival, either White Chalk or latterly Let England Shake. Almost can't forgive Melvin Benn that he failed to do that when (back then) she would have fitted perfectly. She was an astonishing headliner at Green Man (about 2017), and she'll likely be amazing wherever she chooses in 2023. 

It is just possible Melvin could call on the early support he gave Florence to get her back, but he'd be blowing the budget on it. He'll get obvious easy stuff like Haim / London Grammar / Pixies. My random shout, again possibly testing the budget: Kiwanuka.

Is Kiwanuka really pushing the budget?

Pixies with a closing dj would be good i think size wise

On 8/12/2022 at 7:06 AM, foolee said:

Did anyone do the survey they put out? I went for Arcade Fire, Tame Impala & Gorillaz as headliners. Romesh Ranganathan, Seann Walsh and Russell Howard for comedy acts. And my other acts were Sigrid, Editors and Squeeze.

Yes please!

That would be a lush set of headliners. 

I feel we could get one but all 3 seems too big based on recent lineups. 

I'd love it though. 

• 3 weeks later...

With recent news around Arcade Fire I'm unsure they'd be in contention now 

Ive been thinking about other potential hesdliners, could Gorillaz be in with a shout? I know they have a new album out in February so if they had tour/festival appearances next year I think they could pop up, especially as Damon seems close with the festival 

On 9/4/2022 at 12:04 PM, Chapple12345 said:

With recent news around Arcade Fire I'm unsure they'd be in contention now 

Ive been thinking about other potential hesdliners, could Gorillaz be in with a shout? I know they have a new album out in February so if they had tour/festival appearances next year I think they could pop up, especially as Damon seems close with the festival 

We'll have to see if Arcade Fire get booked for festivals next year. If they are, I assume they'll be at places like Primavera. I saw them in Manchester, and they were fantastic. If they were booked, I'd see them again. Obviously the allegations might mean they stop touring after this year, but I think there's a good chance that they will just carry on.

I'm not sure about Gorillaz. They've already toured quite a few festivals this year, and done a show at APE. I don't think they have any shows announced for next year either, so they might be taking a break for a bit. There's also some rumours of a Blur reunion in either '23 or '24, so Damon could switch his focus to that for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Miyn said:

Florence touring next year in Northern Ireland at the end of June.

Will we get her at Latitude next year? There were lots of her tour posters around the site this year, could be an indication that she's booked.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's on and frankly I'd be over the moon. Would be a very good Saturday night "big" headliner. The dates definitely seem to seem in the right place. I reckon if she's announced for IOW and/or TRNSMT she's locked in as the last 5 festivals  (including 2020) have shared headliners with Latitude 

On 9/23/2022 at 11:36 AM, Chapple12345 said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if she's on and frankly I'd be over the moon. Would be a very good Saturday night "big" headliner. The dates definitely seem to seem in the right place. I reckon if she's announced for IOW and/or TRNSMT she's locked in as the last 5 festivals  (including 2020) have shared headliners with Latitude 

Haven't people confirmed that she's not headlining TRNSMT?

On 9/24/2022 at 9:05 PM, shivroy said:

Haven't people confirmed that she's not headlining TRNSMT?

Yes, someone on the TRNSMT thread is supposedly in the know.

This was posted on twitter a few weeks ago:

image.thumb.png.4ea65d6d39627235a9b044752bb433e1.png.fe3dfe736b2fc9621e4cb75e0cbc0006.png

Mezhyp1, who has 7,000+ posts said that none of the headliners are correct.

Here's the post: 

I'm stunned the XX have never headlined it before in all honesty, I believe they played the tent but haven't been back since 

Also seen Florence confirmed for a few more European festivals this week so it seems she's definitely active, tbf her and 1975 would be 2 decent sized headliners to have on board 

• 2 weeks later...