Bearded Theory 2023

jimmillen

31 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I would say your experiences are the odd ones - I have never seen that anywhere in the UK in the 40 plus different festivals we have been to.

Me neither.  From tiny fests to Glasto, no!  Glasto of course has the phone charging tent, but you wouldn't be able to plug anything but a phone in there - and its a  massive waste of time.  
@ontheblend - powerbanks are your friend here, but they still won't do straighteners.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bexj said:

Me neither.  From tiny fests to Glasto, no!  Glasto of course has the phone charging tent, but you wouldn't be able to plug anything but a phone in there - and its a  massive waste of time.  
@ontheblend - powerbanks are your friend here, but they still won't do straighteners.

I picture the panic as the heavens open and people realise they are plugged into live electricity out in the open.

5 hours ago, On The Blend said:

How odd. Almost every fest I've ever been to has had a big pole somewhere with a load of sockets on it and 20 people standing around charging their phones. Tbf a lot of those weren't in the UK but I just assumed it was standard these days.

The only "open for use" plugs I've ever seen at any UK green field festivals (and this is from a pretty good range of experience) have always been both:

a. In "Staff only" areas
b. Explicitly restricted to relatively low draw items like phones/laptops, with Curlers and Hair Dryers usually banned by name.

Edited by incident

7 hours ago, On The Blend said:

How odd. Almost every fest I've ever been to has had a big pole somewhere with a load of sockets on it and 20 people standing around charging their phones. Tbf a lot of those weren't in the UK but I just assumed it was standard these days.

I find this very amusing in a cute way.

57 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Got here this afternoon. The ground is perfect to walk on and just moist enough to take a tent peg easily.
At 4:00, it was t-shirt weather, then it was t-shirt and jumper, now it's t-shirt, jumper and fleece.

You have been warned. 

Sounds similar to last year?  

13 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

electric hookup camping spots such as Lakefest has (and I hope Bearded never ever has).

Bearded sold a limited quantity of hook up pitches for live in vehicles this year but can't see them ever doing it for camping spots... I hope! 

Edited by Paul ™

6 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Bearded sold a limited quantity of hook up pitches for live in vehicles this year but can't see them ever doing it for camping spots... I hope! 

We tried Lakefest last year after having gone ages ago when we had free tickets.......

We will never do it again. It was just wrong on so many levels from the army recruiting stall, to the electric hook up spots for tents to the groups of racists being very racist to the indifference of the organisers when you point out the way the car park is filled means people wheeling camping gear are walking directly into cars as they arrive (several near misses!).

If Bearded went that way it would not longer be Bearded and just some hair free gathering in a field.

Keep doing what you are all doing - forever 🙂

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

We tried Lakefest last year after having gone ages ago when we had free tickets.......

We will never do it again. It was just wrong on so many levels from the army recruiting stall, to the electric hook up spots for tents to the groups of racists being very racist to the indifference of the organisers when you point out the way the car park is filled means people wheeling camping gear are walking directly into cars as they arrive (several near misses!).

If Bearded went that way it would not longer be Bearded and just some hair free gathering in a field.

Yeah we did Lakefest a few years ago and something about it just didn't sit right. We couldn't quite put our fingers on why. Just felt a bit lifeless, and whilst we didnt encounter anybody who was openly offensive, nobody was particularly friendly either. To a lesser degree found Camper Calling was the same last year. 

14 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah we did Lakefest a few years ago and something about it just didn't sit right. We couldn't quite put our fingers on why. Just felt a bit lifeless, and whilst we didnt encounter anybody who was openly offensive, nobody was particularly friendly either. To a lesser degree found Camper Calling was the same last year. 

We do Camper Calling and it is a strange one - we avoid the chair forests like the plague and find the front dancing spaces fun and full of decent folks - and the Teapot of course is great. We do it cos it is easy more than anything and the body is old and  a bit broken.

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

10-15 mins max and that is walking slowly

I'm sure I was further than this last year - I was parked in the furthest car park from the camping area (even though I got there lunchtime on Thursday).  It wasn't a hard walk though but certainly much more than 10-15 minutes slow walk.

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm sure I was further than this last year - I was parked in the furthest car park from the camping area (even though I got there lunchtime on Thursday).  It wasn't a hard walk though but certainly much more than 10-15 minutes slow walk.

Some were but most were closer.
We walked from the frthest part of the car park to the Pallet in 25 minutes at  a slow pace.

PS Check your messages on here

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You missed out the worst aspect (for me at least), they now have a no cash policy, to buy anything you have to queue up and load credit onto your wristband, then use the band to buy anything. It's a shame cause it could be a decent festival if they changed a few things.

I think we can now mention the weather.

IT WILL BE DRY.

but bring wellies and waterproofs.

Clashfinder update later this morning and it will be the last one (probably) so afternoon today, print away as much as you like.

Many thanks for doing the Clashfinder, when I hover over the "karaoke" entry I get "The Fall online forum" is that anything to do with you?

Hi Guys, 

Finally bit the bullet (better late then never right!) First time for us this year. 

On the electricity point, I'm a vaper so do you know if there are any portable chargers for hire/rent on site? EOTR has previously had chargers which you can rent for a couple of hours to charge phones etc. Do have a couple of power banks but not sure they'll last the full weekend. 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, changingman said:

Hi Guys, 

Finally bit the bullet (better late then never right!) First time for us this year. 

On the electricity point, I'm a vaper so do you know if there are any portable chargers for hire/rent on site? EOTR has previously had chargers which you can rent for a couple of hours to charge phones etc. Do have a couple of power banks but not sure they'll last the full weekend. 

Thanks

You'll love it

there was a tent, i'm sure last year maybe, where you could leave your vape and get it charged, cost a fiver i think, then go back and collect it later, if you have a spare one, its really handy. I used it before.

Hope you enjoy your first BT

Work needs to do one now, i'm ready to finish and get me stuffs together. Work is getting in the way

We do Camper Calling and it is a strange one - we avoid the chair forests like the plague and find the front dancing spaces fun and full of decent folks - and the Teapot of course is great. We do it cos it is easy more than anything and the body is old and  a bit broken.

Yeah, camping next to the car is a massive draw at my age...the walk back to the car on Monday mornings with all the shit is an absolute killer nowadays.