Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

14 minutes ago, moogster said:

From what I understand cardio is good, but as we (ahum...) age, muscle mass takes a big hit as well, and especially for women, weight training helps with keeping our bones strong when the lady hormones start to fade away...

I had no idea that was a particular issue for women. 

I think strength training is important for me too. I'm no expert, but I don't think strength training and body building are neccesarily the same thing, though I could be wrong.

I am under the impression body building focuses purely on size, sometimes at the expense of peak strength conditioning (although improved strength is also a given.) Whilst strength training focuses on peak strength conditioning, sometimes at the expense of maximum muscle size gains (although increased muscle size is also a given.) Again, I am no expert, so could be wrong, but this is what I've always believed. 

Either way though, when I say I'm not interested in body building, this is what I meant. Strength training is still very important for general fitness, but I am not targetting a body like an 80's Arnie. 🙂 

This is the routine I'm going to follow for the first 4 weeks https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout-plan/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-plan/ Then for week 5 onwards I'll get back onto my old 1 week split, 1 week push/pull routine. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

This is the routine I'm going to follow for the first 4 weeks https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workout-plan/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-plan/ Then for week 5 onwards I'll get back onto my old 1 week split, 1 week push/pull routine. 🙂 

That looks intense 😮.

51 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The gym I go to is almost entirely bereft of macho muscle dudes - at least it is early in the morning. Vibe is very chill.

I sort of feel like making a joke about the gay scene but I just went out to up my step count (yes I am at 9.5 K @gigpusher and @Alvoram, keep up) so my brain is not getting enough blood to properly word it.

because i couldn't work an online booking system for the last month, and have worked it today, i've now booked my next sports massage which i hope will help sort some of my leg issues out; and hopefully i won't get car sick on the journey there next time (that was a tad embarrassing, and awkward).

2 hours ago, moogster said:

That looks intense 😮.

I sort of feel like making a joke about the gay scene but I just went out to up my step count (yes I am at 9.5 K @gigpusher and @Alvoram, keep up) so my brain is not getting enough blood to properly word it.

I'm over 10k for the day now. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Meerkat said:

Just weighed myself after Christmas and my birthday and it’s not looking good! I’ve put on 9kg since the start of Covid and really need to switch to a new healthier lifestyle.

Count me in if there’s any friendly competitions!

It will drop off... We're going for 70k as an easy starter. From Monday to Sunday next week. We're setting weekly goals as obviously there will be days when you can't hit the 10k and days where you can smash it out of the park. 

@gigpusher was right, it does look like it's dropping off... (Still dread to think what it would have read last weekend though!)

Day 36:

Weight: 288lb 
Daily Change: +4lb
Total Loss: +4lb

Ate a lot better yesterday, had a small jacket spud for lunch and a Maccies in the evening (I can explain.) Was at work all evening yesterday, then went to the gym after. Did ok at the gym, no strength training, as I'm back there tonight with my son and daughter who want to get back into it. But I ran 3km on the treadmill, in 22 min, so not the quickest pace, but honestly I'm just impressed that I still have that in me. Then I did 15 min on level 8 of the cross trainer. So just a good starter amount of cardio really. Legs are burning today!!!

After the gym we hadn't eaten since lunch, so missus asked me to grab something, and I could only find maccies open. So I grabbed their food, and for me, I grabbed a chicken and bacon salad without the dressing. Not the worst thing in the world tbh, especially with a touch of lighter than light mayo on top. I could live with those salads if the family insist they still want treats from time to time (and why shouldn't they? They're not fat! 😞 ) Anyway, with the salad and baked potato, my calorie intake was probably around 1200, which is a great kick start.  

I put my watch on charge, but still, to this minute haven't put it on, so no idea on steps. Steps wouldn't be amazing anyway, as only a short dog walk, but the cardio should have made up for that. 

• Like 1

Well done @Alvoram

My first target is just to stop all the snacking and eat slightly healthier meals and do my 10k steps a day and I'm doing that more often than not. 

Once the days get a little longer it will get even easier. I luckily do have the dogs to walk every day so hitting my step count most days should be too much of a challenge. Unfortunately the rest of the day I am doing a desk job from home so fairly sedentary the rest of the time. Trying to get up every couple of hours just to move about a bit. Not too tricky at the moment as work is in quiet mode but once we are fully swinging it can be a big challenge. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Well done @Alvoram

My first target is just to stop all the snacking and eat slightly healthier meals and do my 10k steps a day and I'm doing that more often than not. 

Once the days get a little longer it will get even easier. I luckily do have the dogs to walk every day so hitting my step count most days should be too much of a challenge. Unfortunately the rest of the day I am doing a desk job from home so fairly sedentary the rest of the time. Trying to get up every couple of hours just to move about a bit. Not too tricky at the moment as work is in quiet mode but once we are fully swinging it can be a big challenge. 

I wish those desks that mechanically change between standing and sitting were a bit more affordable. I spend time at a desk too, mostly through choice, but also a small amount for work. For both though, I'd prefer to have the option to stand. 

Marching on the spot is surprisingly effective exercise, especially in comparison to sitting. (It's the standing / dancing / bouncing on the spot that I feel the most at Glasto, rather than the walking.) 

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I wish those desks that mechanically change between standing and sitting were a bit more affordable. I spend time at a desk too, mostly through choice, but also a small amount for work. For both though, I'd prefer to have the option to stand. 

Marching on the spot is surprisingly effective exercise, especially in comparison to sitting. (It's the standing / dancing / bouncing on the spot that I feel the most at Glasto, rather than the walking.) 

Not quite dancing / bouncing, but fidgeting is supposed to be great for burning calories

56 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

But I ran 3km on the treadmill, in 22 min, so not the quickest pace, but honestly I'm just impressed that I still have that in me.

Hey you are about at the same level than I am! My very best (logging for the past two weeks) is at 3.6 km in 24 mn. Now that's a competition I can do with you 🙂!

Steps are going to be shit today. COnstant rain and I have to go visit people tonight...

15 minutes ago, moogster said:

Hey you are about at the same level than I am! My very best (logging for the past two weeks) is at 3.6 km in 24 mn. Now that's a competition I can do with you 🙂!

Steps are going to be shit today. COnstant rain and I have to go visit people tonight...

I have to go to the dentist today it's a mile away and it's bucketing down. There's been so much rain recently I feel like one of those cartoon characters with a cloud over their head. 

20 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I have to go to the dentist today it's a mile away and it's bucketing down. There's been so much rain recently I feel like one of those cartoon characters with a cloud over their head. 

Spent all last weekend out in the rain watching my 6 year old do a 6k run/walk on Saturday morning then he had a football match Saturday afternoon and a football tournament for 4 hours on Sunday afternoon, he loved it whereas I just got soaked watching!  It felt like when I was inside or in the car it wasn't raining but as soon as I stepped out it started chucking it down.

after having had a few weeks off cos of xmas, my two sessions this week have hurt me bad, first thought this morning was painkillers.

hopefully back to normal next week.

its nice to have a bit of the day without pain 🙂

42 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Spent all last weekend out in the rain watching my 6 year old do a 6k run/walk on Saturday morning then he had a football match Saturday afternoon and a football tournament for 4 hours on Sunday afternoon, he loved it whereas I just got soaked watching!  It felt like when I was inside or in the car it wasn't raining but as soon as I stepped out it started chucking it down.

Yep it definitely has that vibe. Doesn't help that it's January. I'd actually rather a little colder but dry. 

I just had to give up any exercise when I got hit with a three week flu bug, ended up on amoxicillin for a chest infection. 95% better know, and should start back running next week!

Day 37:

Weight: 285lb 
Daily Change: -3lb
Total Loss: +1lb

Good day yesterday, had cornflakes for late breakfast, a small portion and without the sugar, surprisingly I quite like cornflakes without sugar, who knew? 🤷‍♂️ Had a chicken and lighter than light mayo (I will refer to this as just mayo from now on, but you know when I say mayo, it's the lightest, next to zero calorie, stuff) sandwich for lunch. Worked the evening again, on the floor this time (waiting tables) so plenty of steps.

Then went to the gym after, where I did that routine I shared earlier in the post. I didn't go crazy with the amount of weight, as it's the first time I've done resistance since August!!! But bloody hell, now it's not just my legs, my whole body aches. After the resistance, I did 15 mins on the cross trainer, minimal effort due to aches, but my HR was constantly above 145bpm, and I had a sweat on, so effective none the less.  

Came home from the gym starving, so had some sweet and sour chicken with rice that Cara had prepared earlier. All in all I ate around 1200 - 1400 calories yesterday. 

Best of all, all of that extra weight is now almost gone!!! I'll be back in the green by the time we start those step challenges on monday all being well. 

3 hours ago, Neil said:

after having had a few weeks off cos of xmas, my two sessions this week have hurt me bad, first thought this morning was painkillers.

hopefully back to normal next week.

its nice to have a bit of the day without pain 🙂

Few days rest will serve you well, then you'll be killing it at the gym next week. 🙂

26 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

10kgs lost since my diagnosis. Actually 10.2 (But who's counting, eh?) 

Really pleased with myself. Now I need to start working on fitness. 

That's incredible... 22.5lb over a stone and a half!!!! Well done!!!!

22 minutes ago, 2019 said:

I just had to give up any exercise when I got hit with a three week flu bug, ended up on amoxicillin for a chest infection. 95% better know, and should start back running next week!

Wiping everybody out these bugs that are going round at the minute. I know so many people who got hit with flu like symptoms followed by an unshiftable month long cough. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1