LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Line-up announcements since 2000 have come on...

Sun: 6

Mon: 28

Tue: 61

Wed: 48

Thu: 25

Fri: 60

Sat: 5

I know there is no pattern and everything but in the last few years (since they started announcing it in early march) the 1st poster has come on...

Fri: 3

Just now, incident said:

Not sure tbh - but generally speaking any announcement in late March or April (as was the earliest we had prior to a couple years ago) would have been be later than any other festivals first go around. It used to be the norm that Glastonbury came substantially* later than anything else.

*a good month or so.

Absolutely, and I think that's why we can't really say they won't announce on the same day as another festival. Would they be calling round other festivals and agreeing on a day each would release? Maybe, but I can't see it. 

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Absolutely, and I think that's why we can't really say they won't announce on the same day as another festival. Would they be calling round other festivals and agreeing on a day each would release? Maybe, but I can't see it. 

I don't think Glastonbury is going to dance to anyone elses tune.

But I do think that there's enough overlap in staff that Wilderness, Green Man, WOMAD, Beat Herder will all be aware if a Glastonbury lineup is imminent, and I think they would all try to avoid a direct clash.

Given that all 4 of them, today, have announced that they'll drop their lineups this week - I take that as a near certain indication that Glastonbury isn't coming this week.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

Just checked, and 2017 was up against the second WOMAD announcement rather than the main reveal.

Edit: for clarity, the point I'm making here is that WOMAD (and the other festivals I named) organisers will likely be aware if Glastonbury are intending to announce anything this week. The fact they all feel comfortable scheduling their own announcement for Wednesday/Thursday/Friday means they'll be comfortable they're not going to get massively overshadowed.

they might get to hear via booking agents if glastonbury and, say womad have booked acts from the same agent, and i don't think they fear being overshadowed, glastonbury news probably drives interest in other festivals.

It would make sense that the other festivals want to avoid the same day as Glastonbury but would Glastonbury tell them when they were publishing? If I'm Joe Big Tent from Beat Herder, will Glastonbury tell me what date they're going with, given how everything seems to be shrouded in mystery? I don't know, perhaps they would, connections and all that.

On the other hand, would the lead booker of one of the biggest stages put online a Spotify playlist revealing who's on? 

It would make sense that the other festivals want to avoid the same day as Glastonbury but would Glastonbury tell them when they were publishing? If I'm Joe Big Tent from Beat Herder, will Glastonbury tell me what date they're going with, given how everything seems to be shrouded in mystery? I don't know, perhaps they would, connections and all that.

On the other hand, would the lead booker of one of the biggest stages put online a Spotify playlist revealing who's on? 

There's an overlap in staff, who I assume would be in some kind of loop - at least to the extend that they'd know if something was imminent (ie the next week - beyond that maybe not).

Wilderness are owned by FR/LN and so have the Melvin link.

Bookers involved at both WOMAD and Green Man also work with Glastonbury.

Beat Herder, admittedly, I'm less sure whether there's a direct link.

13 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

That makes me think the week after then.. 8th March is my bet.

Also international women’s day on the 8th. With two female headliners and a legend. Could also see two females topping the other so that could be the day to announce 

8 hours ago, incident said:

Given that all 4 of them, today, have announced that they'll drop their lineups this week - I take that as a near certain indication that Glastonbury isn't coming this week.

Maybe all four of them licking this week for their announcements be a sign that they’ve had a heads up that Glastonbury are dropping the poster next week and they all want to get ahead of the curve. 

29 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Just thinking, Stevie Wonder hasn't been announced for BST yet.

Glastonbury wouldn't announce Stevie headlining before BST do would they? Just because BST'd wanna maximise ticket sales.

I'm still convinced that's probably the reason why we've got nothing yet and possibly why it might be a couple weeks before we see the first poster. I still think it is Stevie but the longer it drags out, small elements of doubt creep in 

If Stevie is playing Glastonbury and BST over the weekend, there should be no impact on ticket sales unless there are actually people who won't buy BST because they can watch him on the telly that weekend. 

• Upvote 1

If Stevie is playing Glastonbury and BST over the weekend, there should be no impact on ticket sales unless there are actually people who won't buy BST because they can watch him on the telly that weekend. 

Not sure whether those people exist, but it's also about press coverage. BST may think (with some justification) that a "Stevie Wonder is back for the first time in 5 years" type story won't work nearly as well if he was already announced for Glastonbury a few days/weeks before.

39 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Or possibly hoping to get tickets in the resale. Small numbers though

3 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

They could always publish a poster without Stevie Wonder on it if that is a barrier. Either no reference to the 3rd headliner or TBA. 

I can't see how that would be a problem...and he just can't see.

1 hour ago, Acid_Haze said:

Just thinking, Stevie Wonder hasn't been announced for BST yet.

Glastonbury wouldn't announce Stevie headlining before BST do would they? Just because BST'd wanna maximise ticket sales.

I've seen this mentioned a lot in the last few weeks, that Glasto can't announce Stevie yet because BST needs to announce first.

I don't know much about these things, but I keep thinking to myself why would Glasto hold back for the sake of BST? Isn't that BST's problem? I get it when a headline act might need to announce their own tour first so ask the festival to hold off until that. But why would Glasto wait so long for another festival? Can someone explain for me?

2 minutes ago, turkey twizzler said:

I've seen this mentioned a lot in the last few weeks, that Glasto can't announce Stevie yet because BST needs to announce first.

I don't know much about these things, but I keep thinking to myself why would Glasto hold back for the sake of BST? Isn't that BST's problem? I get it when a headline act might need to announce their own tour first so ask the festival to hold off until that. But why would Glasto wait so long for another festival? Can someone explain for me?

Maybe Stevie Wonder has stipulated it, on the basis that all of the Glastonbury tickets are sold already, and that he's agreed to play for a fraction of his usual fee?

• Thanks 1

Just now, turkey twizzler said:

It's likely that any artist with other shows to sell (or who wants to get promo for the album out, or various other reasons) will have an agreement with GFL along the lines of "can't be announced before X date". If that date hasn't arrived yet, then GFL can't announce the act, regardless of whatever else is happening.

If BST have him then they've paid him a substantially higher fee, in which case they're likely to insist on a measure of exclusivity for their money. Whereas Glastonbury paying a cut price fee are in no position to negotiate that. So BST will insist that nothing else can be announced before they do - We've seen that with other shows, for example most recently the Kings of Leon BST date was announced a couple days before the rest of the tour.

• Thanks 2