LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

11 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

As a short arse, immediately behind the barrier is great as there's no-one immediately in front of me and I can actually see something!

Yea and it gives you something to lean on

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Loved Radiohead in 2017, and I say that as more of a casual fan. But can also see how some were disappointed.

I enjoyed it but regret not heading to the park to see the Flaming Lips who unlike Radiohead I hadn’t seen before.  Sometimes it’s better to explore rather than stick to what you know 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Pyramid - inside the barrier or forget it

I wouldn't go as far as saying it has to be the barrier, but I do think it's slightly pointless being at the Pyramid if you're further back than the front 15% or so. We were probably 20% back and in line with the right screen for The Churnups, and even then I could see effectively nothing, and I'm 6'1!

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

There wasn't a great deal else on that I was interested in as I recall (this is V not Glastonbury we're talking about) and I was with others who were bigger fans so I stayed to the end.  And the bigger fans in my party weren't overwhelmed either.  "Great show" is of course subjective, you thought it was, I didn't.

Of course, but I imagine I was in the majority as they were flying at that point. I can't think of a better gig I've seen them (out of about 6 or so) and I thought 2017 was the worst... Shame you didn't enjoy it as they were on point.

I didn't go - so don't really have any horse in the race - but I used to sit next to a dude at work who was a long time Glastonbury veteran and if you got him started his furious rants about how much he hated the Radiohead 2017 set were some of the best and most prolonged furious invective I've ever heard outside of a stand up gig.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I enjoyed it but regret not heading to the park to see the Flaming Lips who unlike Radiohead I hadn’t seen before.  Sometimes it’s better to explore rather than stick to what you know 

I'm not a Radiohead fan, but went to check them out live.  Stayed for nearly an hour but didn't get gripped by the tunes or the show, so chipped off up the Park and had a lovely time.  That's the beauty of the fest though isn't it, so many great things on and there are different strokes for different folks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Of course, but I imagine I was in the majority as they were flying at that point. I can't think of a better gig I've seen them (out of about 6 or so) and I thought 2017 was the worst... Shame you didn't enjoy it as they were on point.

Probably just not for me then - you can't win them all!  And I still like going to see bands who I know but aren't necessarily a huge fan of but enjoy listening to a bit.  Sometimes I've come away absolutely converted to be a massive fan and gone back and listened to everything and converted from "casual" to "committed" fan.   

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

32 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Probably just not for me then - you can't win them all!  And I still like going to see bands who I know but aren't necessarily a huge fan of but enjoy listening to a bit.  Sometimes I've come away absolutely converted to be a massive fan and gone back and listened to everything and converted from "casual" to "committed" fan.   

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

I want to steal you and take you to the National and I promise I won't put you off their fans too! 😄

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm not a Radiohead fan, but went to check them out live.  Stayed for nearly an hour but didn't get gripped by the tunes or the show, so chipped off up the Park and had a lovely time.  That's the beauty of the fest though isn't it, so many great things on and there are different strokes for different folks. 

The only bad thing about that was the first half of 2017 seemed a real grind and then they kicked on and second half was ace. Almost as if they tried to drive away the non-believers! 😆

44 minutes ago, Superscally said:

The only bad thing about that was the first half of 2017 seemed a real grind and then they kicked on and second half was ace. Almost as if they tried to drive away the non-believers! 😆

Yes I have heard that and hats off to them for their cunning. 

Funnily enough when we had the year off and streamed those sets from the farm there were several I liked quite a bit, including the Smile. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss who we'd like to see this year - I've lost track a bit. 

I know he has been mentioned and can't remember if he's ruled out but I'm just watching random YouTube videos (home alone with a bottle of wine!) and Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush Don't Give Up has come on. Bloody wonderful.   I know Kate won't ever appear but I'd definitely love Peter Gabriel to be there.

@Superscallyhe was the first one I went to see not knowing him particularly well but fell in love with.  Age 14/15 at Hammy Pally.  My first gig. 

Radiohead 2017 is my favourite gig of all time, and I don’t think it’ll ever be beaten. Yet I totally agree about the screens, don’t know what they were thinking. Thank god I was right at the front.

The Cure, who could perhaps have gone the same way with the casuals - those first 10 songs are not exactly radio-friendly bangers - nailed it with their stage show and by all accounts pulled off their own legendary weirdos headline set with aplomb.

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss who we'd like to see this year - I've lost track a bit. 

I know he has been mentioned and can't remember if he's ruled out but I'm just watching random YouTube videos (home alone with a bottle of wine!) and Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush Don't Give Up has come on. Bloody wonderful.   I know Kate won't ever appear but I'd definitely love Peter Gabriel to be there.

@Superscallyhe was the first one I went to see not knowing him particularly well but fell in love with.  Age 14/15 at Hammy Pally.  My first gig. 

I'd love to see PG. Would be a treat.

13 hours ago, Superscally said:

Definitely absent? Or just currently?

Opted for a year out. Unless the poster drop ticks an unprecedented number of boxes or a reformed REM come straight outta left field, it's a no from me.

13 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

He's getting worried about the shoulder carry!

Still lighter than my rucksack 😁