The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

48 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Dreading it is pretty strong, but my enthusiasm is pretty much gone for the weekend.

I am gunna sign off from here now as reading this over and over is not going to make things better. I am determined to enjoy myself & replying to every comment isnt going to help.

Thanks to @Sheffield Steve @Alvoram & @briddj for their updates. Even though I havent seemed as appreciative as others have!

I hope everyone has a top week.

Look after yourself, and each other

See you in the desert!

If you’re gonna be negative like this please just don’t come! Loser!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 23

4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I arrived Thursday lunch and camped in Pennards!

Was 2009/10 ish it started getting silly with the arriving early.

I bumped into someone I know on Saturday down my local who always goes to the festival, were chatting about it and she said to me always leaves early sunday evening/post headliners if something big she wants to see.....but is always there early as anything tues night. 

There seems more of an emphasis on arriving as early as possible now, but then people run out of steam by Sunday and can't see it through.

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Was 2009/10 ish it started getting silly with the arriving early.

I bumped into someone I know on Saturday down my local who always goes to the festival, were chatting about it and she said to me always leaves early sunday evening/post headliners if something big she wants to see.....but is always there early as anything tues night. 

There seems more of an emphasis on arriving as early as possible now, but then people run out of steam by Sunday and can't see it through.

Same. I know plenty of people who do the queue and go Sunday pm. Have never understood it.

15 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

If it was an inch, worst case, we'll probably be saved by the fact that gates aren't open to large numbers to churn anything up.

An inch probably means localized small areas of flooding / large puddles in market areas etc. Probably changed to areas of sticky mud by Weds, flattened springy mud by Thurs. All field areas (stages etc) fine. 

Recall start of 2004 being like this. Awful Weds (but far fewer people came then), puddles / no go areas under hot sun Thursday, Friday = as if it never happened. Obviously then rained overnight into Sat lunchtime and ruined the site but that's not on the cards here. 

We had 38.1 mm of rain here yesterday, and it didn’t stop until after midnight, so no ‘real’ drying time since then.

Ground is still hard, no standing water, it’s absorbed it all, mud still very firm and even a little cracked. But with a slight ‘wet look’ like a 90’s boy band.

see pic

05F55AB2-DD75-4B6E-A0D4-D7F6B196152D.thumb.jpeg.e831570194c3b321d4ba6f2584aeaaca.jpeg

Hopefully the site will have both less rain, and more drying time. 

It will be absolutely fine 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Same. I know plenty of people who do the queue and go Sunday pm. Have never understood it.

To me if I started to feel like I needed to do that I would just start turning up Thurs AM and then see it through to Monday!

38 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

2017: 45 mins of drizzle Sat am (possibly some overnight)

2019: Dry

2022: Hour of light rain Friday teatime

All of these count as dry for my money. If you can wear trainers and sit down 100% of the time = dry. 

Yeah, I remember seeing dusty ground in 2017 during and as the drizzle finished. It wasn't precipitation free, but it was dry.

1 hour ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

2017: 45 mins of drizzle Sat am (possibly some overnight)

2019: Dry

2022: Hour of light rain Friday teatime

All of these count as dry for my money. If you can wear trainers and sit down 100% of the time = dry. 

This must've been between GiR and Phoebe Bridgers on JP? I bet the latrer caused more precipitation in tears than any rain outside.

1 hour ago, stopwn1981 said:

Also those weather channel nonces have started shitting the bed about the weekend. 

Too hot?

Edited by fightoffyour

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

This must've been between GiR and Phoebe Bridgers on JP? I bet the latrer caused more precipitation in tears than any rain outside.

Too hot?

They’re mainly concerned about the longer term ECM. But they’ve since said that the operational run was an unsettled outlier. 

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I bought new Glasto wellies in 2017. I haul them onto site every year but they've never been needed. My head is saying if I don't leave them at home, I should leave them in the car. My heart says they're a good weather talisman and I should make the sacrifice for the greater good.

I take mine every year, regardless of the forecast. The climate there is unique, and it can change in a heartbeat

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ha - think it was Sigrid and Phoebe in JP because I watched both back to back. Then left the tent and realized rain was over.