The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

10 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Bring it anyway. Even if its overcast you might need it. Some people think its safe to be out at the fest without some sun cream just cause its cloudy. Big mistake.

Absolutely true. Most of us don't spend five days out in the open. It doesn't have to be roasting to take its toll on your skin.

21 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Absolutely biblical rain in West Yorks. Local cricket pitch looks like waterworld

It hasn’t stopped raining for hours in Kent. My garden and allotment is very happy for it though. 

5 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Been out all day. Runs all look good right? Or is Tuesday a worry because of rainfall totals? Would have to be pretty bad to make a dent if it’s before most people are onsite? 

Biblical deluge at this point is the only thing that makes Wednesday difficult. After that forecasts are for a calmer and warmer front moving in from the SW. Could get really hot by the weekend. Also going to be very muggy. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Been out all day. Runs all look good right? Or is Tuesday a worry because of rainfall totals? Would have to be pretty bad to make a dent if it’s before most people are onsite? 

Don't think it's lots of rain Tuesday just most of the day

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

There's only a few mms in the forecast for Tuesday.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Current weather in Shrewsbury…very wet. I planned ahead and bought a towel with me today after getting caught in it last night!

And 20 miles away from you just light drizzle 

Just outside Bath now at base camp so what 20 miles from site?

Rained heavy about 3 hours ago for about 30 mins and then light drizzle now stopped.

So really all about conditions Wed 1am when I get there 4 me and begin the nightmate slog to the snake then the wait until gates open - will I and all my kit get drenched b4 I even get in I wonder...

1 hour ago, cb4747 said:

It hasn’t stopped raining for hours in Kent. My garden and allotment is very happy for it though. 

Yes it’s been really torrential here hasn’t it! My other half keeps looking out of the window and saying - this isn’t great for Glastonbury and I’m like - well good job Glastonbury is 200 miles away then isn’t it 🙄

We're nearly there now... So will the 18Z keep us on a smooth course?

THROUGH TO GATES OPEN

It's now dry until Tuesday, when there is the threat of heavy rain - there is definitely a downgrade for this on the 18Z. It has the potential to be quite a bit, but what is absolutely crucial is it's effectively dry from early afternoon for the rest of the day.

Even if there is very heavy rain in the morning, the solid nature of current conditions coupled with the afternoon temperatures of 20-21 would provide several hours of drying.

We shouldn't underestimate:

1) How much rain the ground can take after no rain for a month; and

2) How quickly ground will dry up in 20-21 degrees if there is no source of moisture. 

It's then completely dry to gates opening, here's the picture at 9am on Wednesday.

image.thumb.png.656fb985b68cdef73060e2b53f35414c.png

Wednesday is effectively dry, with highs of 21.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO THURSDAY: 13-14

image.thumb.png.24524a1829ca582e3eb4045d91a29f15.png

THURSDAY

Completely dry, highs of 21-22.

There is some rain close by in this run that wasn't present in the 12Z.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO FRIDAY: 12-13

image.thumb.png.503b4ca2f2c699478c10a8930de43eb5.png

FRIDAY

Completely dry, highs of 22.

The rain which had threatened a few runs ago can't even be seen to the north of the UK now. It's gone away.

The high doesn't seem to be building in quite so dominantly in this run, so we probably won't see weekend temps quite so high.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO SATURDAY: 13-14

image.thumb.png.6a64a3b8a1d18f8c4a3d0dccbc7a1d61.png

SATURDAY

But hang on, maybe that high IS still going to give us a fingering?

Completely dry, highs of 24.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO SUNDAY: 15-17

image.thumb.png.cf2fd10e66a9213a2837c4417c551589.png

SUNDAY

Completely dry, highs of 25-26.

Still 23-24 for Elton!

image.thumb.png.5a00443577ad6567d2c3e5eaa9464f70.png

SUMMARY

A bit of both worlds, really.

The possible rain on Tuesday morning has increased -- but as we saw today just how much that will be is very much TBC. And even if there is quite a bit, there are perfect drying conditions through the day. It looks like nothing to be scared of.

The good part is the loss of the big scary low which was close by on Friday, that's now nowhere to be seen.

Some will like the slightly reduced temperatures -- but that's marginal really.

Edited by briddj
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DYRTFT said:

GFS downgrade incoming…

Chance of slightly more rain weds thur but not substantial amounts. Dry the rest.

This isn't a downgrade.

There is no rain at all on the Glasto site on Thursday.

image.png.2eb19266b119292bcc9e423fc85f70d7.png

And Wednesday is near identical (latest on the right) with both showing 0.5mm - if anything.

image.thumb.png.d4d810cffb96e5d5bb15ff6f84e4f6d6.png

Grrr, the full review landed in the last post of a page again.

It's here if you miss it.

7 minutes ago, briddj said:

We're nearly there now... So will the 18Z keep us on a smooth course?

THROUGH TO GATES OPEN

It's now dry until Tuesday, when there is the threat of heavy rain - there is definitely a downgrade for this on the 18Z. It has the potential to be quite a bit, but what is absolutely crucial is it's effectively dry from early afternoon for the rest of the day.

Even if there is very heavy rain in the morning, the solid nature of current conditions coupled with the afternoon temperatures of 20-21 would provide several hours of drying.

We shouldn't underestimate:

1) How much rain the ground can take after no rain for a month; and

2) How quickly ground will dry up in 20-21 degrees if there is no source of moisture. 

It's then completely dry to gates opening, here's the picture at 9am on Wednesday.

image.thumb.png.656fb985b68cdef73060e2b53f35414c.png

Wednesday is effectively dry, with highs of 21.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO THURSDAY: 13-14

image.thumb.png.24524a1829ca582e3eb4045d91a29f15.png

THURSDAY

Completely dry, highs of 21-22.

There is some rain close by in this run that wasn't present in the 12Z.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO FRIDAY: 12-13

image.thumb.png.503b4ca2f2c699478c10a8930de43eb5.png

FRIDAY

Completely dry, highs of 22.

The rain which had threatened a few runs ago can't even be seen to the north of the UK now. It's gone away.

The high doesn't seem to be building in quite so dominantly in this run, so we probably won't see weekend temps quite so high.

OVERNIGHT TEMPS INTO SATURDAY: 13-14

image.thumb.png.6a64a3b8a1d18f8c4a3d0dccbc7a1d61.png

SATURDAY

But hang on, maybe that high IS still going to give us a fingering?

Completely dry, highs of 24.

image.thumb.png.cf2fd10e66a9213a2837c4417c551589.png

SUNDAY

Completely dry, highs of 25-26.

Still 23-24 for Elton!

image.thumb.png.5a00443577ad6567d2c3e5eaa9464f70.png

SUMMARY

A bit of both worlds, really.

The possible rain on Tuesday morning has increased -- but as we saw today just how much that will be is very much TBC. And even if there is quite a bit, there are perfect drying conditions through the day. It looks like nothing to be scared of.

The good part is the loss of the big scary low which was close by on Friday, that's now nowhere to be seen.

Some will like the slightly reduced temperatures -- but that's marginal really.