The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

9 minutes ago, briddj said:

The 18Z was very, very kind to us. Can we continue the theme with the 00Z?

THROUGH TO GATES OPENING

Rain for today is again showing to be not too much, let's see what we get. Then dry all say Monday with excellent drying temps of 21-22.

There is some rain in the early hours of Tuesday, with the worst again appearing to track to the east of Glasto. And that's matched to the 18Z with a small amount of rain during the day.

But Tuesday can be viewed as an improvement, as there's nowhere near as much dangerous rain close to the site. Latest rain chart for midday on the right, previous on the left.

image.thumb.png.10058ed480dc5f3615698ce1cd89ebec.png

Completely dry when gates open on Wednesday, temps of 19-20.

image.thumb.png.0afe80c91ef1bba7c160dc6d4a8ef181.png

Wednesday itself has the very, very small threat of a sprinkling in the afternoon, but it really is nothing. Temps of 21-22.

image.thumb.png.1039c2cd2e3df540ad459f8b57a6822a.png

THURSDAY

Completely dry, highs of 22-23.

image.thumb.png.3eecb50ad4452222beabb92872a5b7cf.png

FRIDAY

As in the previous run, the heavy band of rain is passing through Ireland and Northern Ireland.

image.thumb.png.e05d46d38455666bcc75a6365178cc3d.png

SATURDAY

Completely dry, highs of 24.

image.thumb.png.87c28a5e83f78b25f3b86b7d3934c28b.png

SUNDAY

Completely dry, highs of 27.

image.thumb.png.f5ac1340ddab610cac5829acd5a967a5.png

SUMMARY

Another upgrade! The high pressure is stronger on this run, leading to another notch on the temperatures through the week.

We're really starting to get into the realms of reliability now.

Few more runs with that Friday rain tracking north into Ireland and the deal is DONE.

It does my tits in when I do the post and it drops it as the last entry on a page. So, if anyone misses Sunday morning's 00Z, it's here!

Edited by briddj
  • Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, briddj said:

The 18Z was very, very kind to us. Can we continue the theme with the 00Z?

THROUGH TO GATES OPENING

Rain for today is again showing to be not too much, let's see what we get. Then dry all say Monday with excellent drying temps of 21-22.

There is some rain in the early hours of Tuesday, with the worst again appearing to track to the east of Glasto. And that's matched to the 18Z with a small amount of rain during the day.

But Tuesday can be viewed as an improvement, as there's nowhere near as much dangerous rain close to the site. Latest rain chart for midday on the right, previous on the left.

image.thumb.png.10058ed480dc5f3615698ce1cd89ebec.png

Completely dry when gates open on Wednesday, temps of 19-20.

image.thumb.png.0afe80c91ef1bba7c160dc6d4a8ef181.png

Wednesday itself has the very, very small threat of a sprinkling in the afternoon, but it really is nothing. Temps of 21-22.

image.thumb.png.1039c2cd2e3df540ad459f8b57a6822a.png

THURSDAY

image.thumb.png.3eecb50ad4452222beabb92872a5b7cf.png

FRIDAY

As in the previous run, the heavy band of rain is passing through Ireland and Northern Ireland.

image.thumb.png.e05d46d38455666bcc75a6365178cc3d.png

SATURDAY

Completely dry, highs of 24.

image.thumb.png.87c28a5e83f78b25f3b86b7d3934c28b.png

SUNDAY

Completely dry, highs of 27.

image.thumb.png.f5ac1340ddab610cac5829acd5a967a5.png

SUMMARY

Another upgrade! The high pressure is stronger on this run, leading to another notch on the temperatures through the week.

We're really starting to get into the realms of reliability now.

Few more runs with that Friday rain tracking north into Ireland and the deal is DONE.

Good to see us Irish pulling our weight.

I am loving the fact that, the more accurate it can be assumed to be, the better it is getting.

Well done everyone. I think the combination of science and blind belief is working!

(For most of us anyway. Soz Fuzzy. I’d take a reduction in Sunday temps for you!)

I'm packing today and we're making the trek down tomorrow. Even though this thread is bonkers and we all know there is literally nothing we can do about the weather, there is no denying that weather extremes really do have the potential to affect the enjoyment of your festival (wether it's too hot or too much rain and mud). Even if it's not enough to make you go home, it can still make a dent in the fun. That's why this thread is paid so much attention to. It does matter (somewhat).

Whilst no one here is an actual weather man (at least I don't think so) and absolutely none of the forecasts are fact and we take the mick out of it all...it does help bring up tips and hacks for coping in the weather and gives you general patterns of roughly what we can expect. So I just want to say a huge thank you to @briddjand @Sheffield Steveand everyone else who's been decoding all those charts for us, letting us know the possibilities so that we can all have a laugh over preferences, take the piss, reminisce and be silly and melodramatic. I think it's safe to say, everyone gets to know each other on a much deeper level in this thread hahaha. So thank you, will be over 200 pages soon, great team effort lol. 

Have a good one everyone!!! Safe travels and see you on the farm ❤️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 10

45 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I'm packing today and we're making the trek down tomorrow. Even though this thread is bonkers and we all know there is literally nothing we can do about the weather, there is no denying that weather extremes really do have the potential to affect the enjoyment of your festival (wether it's too hot or too much rain and mud). Even if it's not enough to make you go home, it can still make a dent in the fun. That's why this thread is paid so much attention to. It does matter (somewhat).

Whilst no one here is an actual weather man (at least I don't think so) and absolutely none of the forecasts are fact and we take the mick out of it all...it does help bring up tips and hacks for coping in the weather and gives you general patterns of roughly what we can expect. So I just want to say a huge thank you to @briddjand @Sheffield Steveand everyone else who's been decoding all those charts for us, letting us know the possibilities so that we can all have a laugh over preferences, take the piss, reminisce and be silly and melodramatic. I think it's safe to say, everyone gets to know each other on a much deeper level in this thread hahaha. So thank you, will be over 200 pages soon, great team effort lol. 

I’ll second that. We’ve all become such experts in all things  meteorological and the geology of Pilton!😉.  

1 hour ago, briddj said:

It does my tits in when I do the post and it drops it as the last entry on a page. So, if anyone misses Sunday morning's 00Z, it's here!

Stick! like a mutha f**ka trying to get from Other to Pyramid in one of those shite wet Glasto years 😂😂😂

Morning all. Before we get too complacent, we must remember the GFS is only one model and the other models aren’t quite so bullish.  The GEM and UKMO have more substantial rain Tuesday. This is the GEM for 9am:

IMG_4130.thumb.jpeg.b14e6340c5e4ec214f922260d47fac82.jpeg

And this ECM has rain on and off for most of the day, with some heavy bursts earlier on:

IMG_4133.thumb.jpeg.f59603325729b0838dc3a9908975f40d.jpeg

And some of the models have Saturdays rain a little closer than the GFS, it’s definitely going to be one to watch as we go through the festival.  They also predict a few more showers than the GFS, certainly not completely dry days as it does, this is Wednesday for example, with UKMO showing showers moving across from the SW:

IMG_4132.thumb.jpeg.8f1704afa385d415385c8e1f814c448a.jpeg

But nothing too substantial, should be a great festival, maybe too hot on the Sunday, the GEM has us at 29c. Enjoy yourselves everyone!

4 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

Morning all. Before we get too complacent, we must remember the GFS is only one model and the other models aren’t quite so bullish.  The GEM and UKMO have more substantial rain Tuesday. This is the GEM for 9am:

IMG_4130.thumb.jpeg.b14e6340c5e4ec214f922260d47fac82.jpeg

And this ECM has rain on and off for most of the day, with some heavy bursts earlier on:

IMG_4133.thumb.jpeg.f59603325729b0838dc3a9908975f40d.jpeg

And some of the models have Saturdays rain a little closer than the GFS, it’s definitely going to be one to watch as we go through the festival.  They also predict a few more showers than the GFS, certainly not completely dry days as it does, this is Wednesday for example, with UKMO showing showers moving across from the SW:

IMG_4132.thumb.jpeg.8f1704afa385d415385c8e1f814c448a.jpeg

But nothing too substantial, should be a great festival, maybe too hot on the Sunday, the GEM has us at 29c. Enjoy yourselves everyone!

This one is clearly wrong and can f**k off 😂

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Aww, thank you for your kind words. At the end of the day, the weather will do what it’s gonna do, and as long as it’s not a complete washout (which it isn’t going to be) it’ll be as fantastic as always! 🌞🌈

10 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

Aww, thank you for your kind words. At the end of the day, the weather will do what it’s gonna do, and as long as it’s not a complete washout (which it isn’t going to be) it’ll be as fantastic as always! 🌞🌈

You do know we want voodoo here - and spells not science based facts !