The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

Maybe it's because I haven't had a festival where the weather's caused me real issues since 2007 (didn't mind 2016 TBH), I'm pretty sanguine about it.  I'm with @The Nal - his real opinion (I think - correct if if I'm wrong), not the trolling - this speculation so far out is really pretty futile. The chances of getting a stable weather pattern are slim. We don't know what the weather is going to be like right now and it's daft to put ourselves through a miserable rollercoaster when the confidence levels are so ridiculously low.

• Like 1

Just now, Duggyfresh44 said:

Also we’ve had a sustained dry period and the winter wasn’t particularly wet, so whilst rain is a pain even if it w@nks it down any decent breeze and sunshine will dry it up. 2016 was a problem because the ground was already very waterlogged. 

This seems to be the consensus view, but I had a read back at the 2016 and in the run up it seems there were periods when the site seemed to be a bone-dry dustbowl.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe it's because I haven't had a festival where the weather's caused me real issues since 2007 (didn't mind 2016 TBH), I'm pretty sanguine about it.  I'm with @The Nal - his real opinion (I think - correct if if I'm wrong), not the trolling - this speculation so far out is really pretty futile. The chances of getting a stable weather pattern are slim. We don't know what the weather is going to be like right now and it's daft to put ourselves through a miserable rollercoaster when the confidence levels are so ridiculously low.

Where’s the fun in that? 

7 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

Also we’ve had a sustained dry period and the winter wasn’t particularly wet, so whilst rain is a pain even if it w@nks it down any decent breeze and sunshine will dry it up. 2016 was a problem because the ground was already very waterlogged. 

Wettest March on record?!

My first one was 2005 and and managed to get tickets to every one since.....

2005 and 2007 were by far the worst from what I've experienced, but was still great! after that i don't consider any of them particularly terrible, i quite like a good thunderstorm at Glastonbury!

Edited by turricandanz

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

It's been glorious down south for near on 3 weeks now. The next 7 day forecast is for more of the same.

I just can't help worrying we've peaked too soon. 

Praying too soon is when the 3 days beforehand are great and then it goes tits up when the festival is on.

There's still time for some sh*t weather between now and the gates and then for things to right themselves again.

The 06Z is a huge improvement for rain, with Wednesday and Thursday completely dry. Much cooler at 17 degrees though!

Friday and Saturday not so much fun though.... a big low coming in from the west.

Not long now until the regular updates can begin!

Edited by briddj
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, briddj said:

Friday and Saturday not so much fun though.... a big low coming in from the west.

image.thumb.png.ebe1107b664c0b9a20fb3487be71096a.png

Yep, am not a fan of the amount of low pressure systems we have above and around us.

Then again, all it will take is a cheeky finger or a plume to banish it back where it belongs

I don't know about everyone else but I'm only here because now all the announcements are done and TBA guessing feels even more useless, this is the biggest question mark left and following along is the only real way to pass the time between now and Glasto which feels at least vaguely Glasto-related.

TBH, all the predictions this far out are pretty useless, but debating about them at least gives us something to chat about for the next 11 days or so!

Edited by churlie100
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, George_92 said:

yes 2019 was too hot, but I really cannot understand people saying 22/23 degrees is too much?! seriously 

It was so hot when I tried to finally go to sleep around 6am the sun had heated my tent so much I couldn't sleep. Ended up passing out under a tree around midday and napped for hours, missing so much. 

Saturday 17th afternoon is looking a bit shaky on the rain front, but this is right at the edge of the current forecast for GFS27 and GFS+ so take with a tablespoon of fancy Himalayan pink salt. ECMWF forecast is fairer, with lower winds. 

This is how it currently shapes up.

Wed - dry/23c/NE. Evening looks especially nice with the wind tailing off.

Thur  - dry/22c/NE. Evening similar to Wed.

Fri - mostly dry/23c/ENE. slight drizzle between 8-10pm, but nothing to worry about.

Sat - mixed/23c/NE getting windy. Dry morning, rain between 1pm and midnight, could be annoyingly persistent.

Sun - not in range, but the trends are lower winds, falling barometer, so less sunshine/cooler.