The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

The 2016 weather was a very isolated issue aswell. Lets not be so naive.

Rainfall has already passed the May average. Place could be a mudbath before the gates open. 

Its really worrying. 

Was it not raining heavy up until like the week of the 2019 festival? Thing is with the mud too, you only need one day of hot sunshine and it not being trampled on and it’ll dry up quick.

28 minutes ago, Drinky said:

We’re into 80% mudbath territory with all these matching reports of rain all month

Sadly my well tuned festival senses say mud bath, based on nothing other than being correct in the past. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

What a bloody lovely Friday that is! - Be windy up there thought take a good jacket.

Porto is fantastics so far, loving the lunch breaks and evenings.

Seems to be a major that's not extortionate too. 

Little bit blowy on Dow Crag but nothing major.

Not like last week. Had to abandon Great Gable as we physically couldn't stand up.

Man I could go for a Francesinha after that. Have one for me. Unless you value your arteries/general health.

Edited by philipsteak

The Muddy Ones are well storied but do people keep the same data on Hot Ones?

I've only ever been to '17 and '19 but they were both hot. 2019 felt particularly brutal - I ended up watching the end of Yesterday in a cinema tent at one point just to get out of the sun and a mate was absolutely burned to a crisp.

Just curious as to whether those were outliers because the expectation I had before attending was mud, mud, rain and mud...

11 hours ago, aj6658 said:

zzzzzzzzzz such a boring narrative. 

My god the arrogance - Newbies are more than capable of surviving a wet festival - you're not special. You are a Glastonbury god, I suspect you struggle to open a PDF. 

Newbies of today are the veterans of the future.

Ha, sorry if I came across as arrogant, I'd had a few drinks and was feeling a bit sorry for myself when I posted, point still stands though, in previous muddy years the demand has been down somewhat the year after so it will help to some degree if it is a washout, I know people who went in 1998 and never went back, they were wet and miserable pretty much all weekend. Still I hope it doesn't rain, trudging through the mud is no fun even for us Glastonbury gods. I'll take my chances next year with the rest, if I fail again so be it. Off to Bearded Theory in 2 weeks so that will have to do for now.

"I suspect you struggle to open a PDF." - you've lost me with that one!

6 hours ago, squareheadz said:

The Muddy Ones are well storied but do people keep the same data on Hot Ones?

I've only ever been to '17 and '19 but they were both hot. 2019 felt particularly brutal - I ended up watching the end of Yesterday in a cinema tent at one point just to get out of the sun and a mate was absolutely burned to a crisp.

Just curious as to whether those were outliers because the expectation I had before attending was mud, mud, rain and mud...

Most years are a mix - I have been to a lot of Glastonbury’s - 1986-mixed, 1995 was dry and hot, 97 and 98 mud baths, 99 mixed, 2000 fine, 2002 cold and mixed, 2003 ok, 2005 - torrential thunderstorms flooding but then hot, 2007- wet,wet and muddy, 2009 mixed, 2010 very hot, 2011- wet and muddy, 2013, ok ish , 2014 mixed, 2015 mixed, 2016 - mud bath, 2017-dry, 2019, hot, 2022-dry/hot( cold at night) Mostly the ground dries up much quicker with the better drainage these days- it only needs a good breeze and a bit of sun and the ground is usually ok in most areas. 

5 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Have been keeping my eye on the web cam monitoring some big puddles on this track... They've all but dried up already with just a few days of dry weather!!! 😮

puddle.thumb.jpg.dadc2b8244618d5539e877e97f091c46.jpg

This is my go to area to see how wet the ground is.