Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

Just now, Drums Please Fab said:

Excluding a group over their sexual orientation is wrong. She was pedalling divisive rhetoric.

It doesn't need any further thesis. Her words were problematic. 

Equality is supposed to go both ways and Im not willing to be a punchbag for the historical sins of my forbears.

As I said, I wasn't there, not language I would use, I apologise if you felt I defamed you, but I do think there are wider elements at play myself. But I'm also not going to waste our time arguing about Halsye

8 minutes ago, StephenF said:

I personally found her “I’m a rock star, how dare everyone not think the same…look I proved you all wrong…look, LOOK AT ME” shtick lame. 

That's what I got from her. holier than thou, ticking all the right progressive boxes, while swanning around like Courtney Love, grabbing her own crotch and then whinging about not being taken seriously in that time slot. whinging about everything, telling straight people to f**k off. 

It was a one hour tantrum set to pyrotechnics.

Edited by Drums Please Fab

4 minutes ago, robith said:

As I said, I wasn't there, not language I would use, I apologise if you felt I defamed you, but I do think there are wider elements at play myself. But I'm also not going to waste our time arguing about Halsye

If she had said "anyone who has a problem with LGBT rights can f**k off, don't listen to my set". Id be on board with that.

But she offered us straight people no conciliation. Just f**k off for being straight.

Charming....

Just now, Drums Please Fab said:

If she had said "anyone who has a problem with LGBT rights can f**k off, don't listen to my set". Id be on board with that.

But she offered us straight people no conciliation. Just f**k off for being straight.

Charming....

as i said, I think there wider societal mechanics at play but I understand your POV better now, I'm sorry my original slightly flippant comment dug you out too hard, it wasn't necessary meant to be a totally accurate read of your position, was just confused about why everyone had such a visceral reaction.

Let's get back to the festival

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StephenF said:

I personally found her “I’m a rock star, how dare everyone not think the same…look I proved you all wrong…look, LOOK AT ME” shtick lame. 

This for me, only caught the last 20 mins or so before Blur but it just felt so performative and insecure, not a headliner worthy act.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, robith said:

But that's because if you were using against minority groups it would be part of a centuries long hierachy of oppression? And whilst not language I might use, it was more for creating a space for those groups? And thus the two are not historically, or prejudicially equivalent? "all the straight people can leave" is imo in no way on the same level as the harassment and prejudice that LGBTQI+ people receive every day? imo of course

Pathetic defence…anyone can see you are in the wrong here and have unfairly maligned a poster on here.

2 minutes ago, adforperu said:

errrrm, so how was the rest of the festival?? I got serious FOMO this weekend.....

Really good. 

Easy to get a pint (too easy actually). Easy to get food....Food was good quality. Shuttle buses were handy. Festival wasn't overcrowded. getting in was a doddle each day.

Lineup was a bit light for my liking (last year was better).....but it's still one of the best weekends in Europe for me. Hotels were extortionate though. Paid 1200 quid for 3 nights.

Great city if you have a few quid and the energy to explore the city by day. I find I spend all day in the city and only get to Parc del Forum at 10pm these days. Getting old. Love my cocktails in Doctor Stravinsky and some tapas down in el borne.

Fred Again has left a mark on me. I never took any notice of him until he was announced for this. But he is a master at work . Been playing his stuff on repeat since Saturday.

The war on drugs/voidz/my morning jacket back to back on amazon/brugal was a great end to the festival.

Getting to see "touch me im going to scream part 2" while the sun sets in the background will stay with me forever.

Was it just me or was there a lack of urinals around the main stage though....just cubicles from what I could find.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There were plenty on the left side of Mordor, they just had a separate entrance.

2 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Was it just me or was there a lack of urinals around the main stage though....just cubicles from what I could find.

• Like 1

Brunch felt like a completely separate festival, different vibes, you can see more shirtless guys probably only at the beach. It was also very crowded. But I still enjoyed it very much. Purple Disco Machine was a great party.

And then the cherry on the top of the cake -  Japanese Breakfast. Beautiful concert.

7 minutes ago, pipan said:

Brunch felt like a completely separate festival, different vibes, you can see more shirtless guys probably only at the beach. It was also very crowded. But I still enjoyed it very much. Purple Disco Machine was a great party.

And then the cherry on the top of the cake -  Japanese Breakfast. Beautiful concert.

Fair play for having the energy to go again. It's a bit of a trek down to Parc del Forum. By the third day the tank is almost empty. 

In fact on day 2 im wrote off and then start to recover for day 3 after "shooting my load" on day 1.

I said this multiple times in the past, but it's true once again - this was the best festival I've ever been to.

Organisation was flawless and I don't mean flawless by Primavera standards (that were not that high), but generally. They really learned their lesson from 2022 and improved everything.

Line-up was exquisite, like every year. Thursday and Friday were unbelievable. I managed to enjoy even Halsey. Saturday somehow missed me almost completely, I could have easily put together a much better line-up for myself just from the Thursday's and Friday's "leftovers" (New Order, Ascendant Vierge, Alex G, Self Esteem, Fred Again.., Built to Spill, The Wedding Present). But Caroline Polachek was superb.

10/10.

I wish everyone at Madrid a great time!

It was a nice weekend and I'm glad a few of the issues from last year were ironed out, but this new site layout comes at the expense of some quite atrocious sound bleed in places and two mid sized stages that feel like you're watching bands on an airport runway. For me the only bits I really and truly enjoyed were down by Plenitude, DICE and those small sea stages that don't really have anyone notable on. Bits is really missed.

The programming and scheduling just felt quite odd and gap-y in places, and I spent probably the least time at Cupra I've ever done. I remember festivals where pretty much everything on it was a must-see.

On the plus side there felt like quite a lot more space to sit down and chill out, which was really beneficial on Saturday which felt noticably busier, and there was very good food options.

It's not a must-book festival anymore due to the fact the flight/accoms/ticket is now so expensive, and I think in general I just found the curation and programming a lot messier than I have done previously. I feel like they're at a crunch time where they need to decide what kind of festival it actually is now, and who they're aiming it at.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

It was a nice weekend and I'm glad a few of the issues from last year were ironed out, but this new site layout comes at the expense of some quite atrocious sound bleed in places and two mid sized stages that feel like you're watching bands on an airport runway. For me the only bits I really and truly enjoyed were down by Plenitude, DICE and those small sea stages that don't really have anyone notable on. Bits is really missed.

The programming and scheduling just felt quite odd and gap-y in places, and I spent probably the least time at Cupra I've ever done. I remember festivals where pretty much everything on it was a must-see.

On the plus side there felt like quite a lot more space to sit down and chill out, which was really beneficial on Saturday which felt noticably busier, and there was very good food options.

It's not a must-book festival anymore due to the fact the flight/accoms/ticket is now so expensive, and I think in general I just found the curation and programming a lot messier than I have done previously. I feel like they're at a crunch time where they need to decide what kind of festival it actually is now, and who they're aiming it at.

I did feel like the amazon stage was "out by the bins". we were surrounded by piss pots and dumpsters to the left. 

I seen TWOD last year on the main stage at mad cool, surely they could have played in Mordor here. Cupra would have been great actually.

I spent zero time at cupra this year, now that you say it.

53 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Really good. 

Easy to get a pint (too easy actually). Easy to get food....Food was good quality. Shuttle buses were handy. Festival wasn't overcrowded. getting in was a doddle each day.

Lineup was a bit light for my liking (last year was better).....but it's still one of the best weekends in Europe for me. Hotels were extortionate though. Paid 1200 quid for 3 nights.

My solution to get around this (which might not suit everybody) was to book an Airbnb with free cancellation a year in advance... and to hope that the hosts don't cancel it themselves to re-list it at double the price 

Had a blast. Only negatives was almost complete lack of good stuff at Cupra, as others have said and still dont like the double stage format at Mordor (though much more tolerable than last year).

Otherwise a superb edition. No better lineup anywhere and organisation was top.

• Upvote 1

Been to Barca twice and then have been to most of the Porto editions, and really glad that last year appears to have been a blip. I do worry they're biting off more than they can chew with the expansions, but at its best it's a very special festival whose programming is unrivalled in Europe certainly. Glad to see them turn the corner on it.

Now to getting very soggy at Porto