Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

6 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Do we think this will disrupt trains at all on the Wednesday 

Yep.  Trains will be in the wrong places and many of those who would otherwise have gone Tues or Thurs will go Weds instead putting extra pressure on the system

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Times have been changed slightly - https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/members-updates/defend-jobs-pay-and-conditions--network-rail080622/?preview=true

Should mean services run later into the evening on Wednesday 22nd, for anyone travelling to Glastonbury after work that day.

Not sure how true this is but someone I know who is connected with rail work told me that the timing of the strike can affect how much it is affected on subsequent days.  So the fact that it is starting at 0001 and 0200 on each day is much better than if it was starting say at 2000 on either day as then all the stock would be in the wrong place to recommence on the morning of e.g. Wednesday.  Hope that's right anyway!

3 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Not sure how true this is but someone I know who is connected with rail work told me that the timing of the strike can affect how much it is affected on subsequent days.  So the fact that it is starting at 0001 and 0200 on each day is much better than if it was starting say at 2000 on either day as then all the stock would be in the wrong place to recommence on the morning of e.g. Wednesday.  Hope that's right anyway!

That's given me hope for not too much disruption. Cheers.

40 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Do we think this will disrupt trains at all on the Wednesday 

Trains will probably be cancelled Monday evening so they can start in the correct locations on the wednesday morning and in my area that'll be from 6am as no nightshift will be on duty. I cant see any trains running from chester until the wednesday morning as managers would need extensive training to operate the panel.

Edited by gazzared
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pateen said:

Do you realise how much these drivers actually get paid. 

Serious wads from day one, in comparison to graduates who come out with huge debts after studying or trades men who earn very little while training, all these guys are doing fine.

Just putting us all over a barrel

B4661AA7-E03C-4564-94C9-AA39A40434BB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Trains will probably be cancelled Monday evening so they can start in the correct locations on the wednesday morning and in my area that'll be from 6am as no nightshift will be on duty. I cant see any trains running from chester until the wednesday morning as managers would need extensive training to operate the panel.

Do u think there's a good chance of trains all running pretty much normally on the Wednesday then?

4 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Do u think there's a good chance of trains all running pretty much normally on the Wednesday then?

I think theyll be disruption in the morning for a few hours as signallers and train crew might struggle to be where they need to be if they cant travel to work using trains . Trains will also be cancelled wednesday evening for the same reason as before.

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

I think theyll be disruption in the morning for a few hours as signallers and train crew might struggle to be where they need to be if they cant travel to work using trains . Trains will also be cancelled wednesday evening for the same reason as before.

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I think that reinforces my view that I will stay over in Brum on Tuesday night ready for my 1030 coach on Wednesday.

51 minutes ago, gazzared said:

What sort of time do you reckon the Monday trains will start to be cancelled or changed? Going from Chester incidentally but doing a pretty roundabout route from around 10am to get in at 4pm at Castle Cary. Would it be later the changes start?

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

What sort of time do you reckon the Monday trains will start to be cancelled or changed? Going from Chester incidentally but doing a pretty roundabout route from around 10am to get in at 4pm at Castle Cary. Would it be later the changes start?

That should be fine, it'll be the later evening trains that might not make another journey to prevent the train and traincrew being wrong ended

Edited by gazzared
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, gazzared said:

So my 7am train is likely to be delayed? Just trying to plan accordingly..

7 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

So my 7am train is likely to be delayed? Just trying to plan accordingly..

cant say for definate but very likely as trains could be in the wrong order on the platforms as theyll be no nightshift working who normally move empty trains around at night for re-fuelling, cleaning , organising rolling stock, making up the units to 3 cars, 6 cars etc etc

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

cant say for definate but very likely as trains could be in the wrong order on the platforms as theyll be no nightshift working who normally move empty trains around at night for re-fuelling, cleaning , organising rolling stock, making up the units to 3 cars, 6 cars etc etc

Cheers mate, I appreciate the advice. 👍

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

They're not mutually exclusive, so many of us want to see them both given adequate recompense - along with many other workers. 

My point was that if we're judging pay based on the potential of seeing something tragic, a paramedic should be paid far more.

I agree with Unions and do support those fighting for better pay and conditions. I don't however believe we should blindly support "just because" and feel it's extremely important that we allow the opportunity to be critical when examining the rationale for which new conditions are being argued.

*Edit: reading that again I just want clarify that I was talking in general terms when I mentioned blindly supporting. I'm not from the UK so I don't really have any knowledge of details of the strike so cant really have much of an opinion

Edited by TheDayman

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

My point was that if we're judging pay based on the potential of seeing something tragic, a paramedic should be paid far more.

I agree with Unions and do support those fighting for better pay and conditions. I don't however believe we should blindly support "just because" and feel it's extremely important that we allow the opportunity to be critical when examining the rationale for which new conditions are being argued.

It's horrendous for any driver having a fatality/suicide but also terrible for my network rail work collegues who have to go out and help remove any visible body parts from the running lines to allow trains to resume running with minimal delay and then having to continue their normal shift duties. Iam not trying to make it into a competition its awful for anyone who has to deal with incidents.

Edited by gazzared

7 hours ago, Pateen said:

Do you realise how much these drivers actually get paid. 

Serious wads from day one, in comparison to graduates who come out with huge debts after studying or trades men who earn very little while training, all these guys are doing fine.

Just putting us all over a barrel

A primary reason for this strike is job cuts. People who lose their jobs don't earn anything. Being made jobless is a weird understanding of 'doing fine'.

I spent 30 plus years as a union rep in local government, strike ballots and threats of strikes were one of the few tools we have in negotiating with sometimes stubborn dogmatic and adversarial employers. Brinkmanship on both sides is very common. Hopefully with a bit of movement on both sides this will lead to a suspension of strike action and more proper negotiations can take place.  The unions have successfully managed to get publicity for what is a just case. Thats important to the unions. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

*Edit: reading that again I just want clarify that I was talking in general terms when I mentioned blindly supporting. I'm not from the UK so I don't really have any knowledge of details of the strike so cant really have much of an opinion

For your info, its not easy for unions to take strike action in the uk.

For public services, its and a minimum of 50% turnout amongst members and a majority but an additional minimum of 40% of all workers for a yes.

As it was for this one, it seems that turnout was 71% and 89% voted yes.

So a broad consensus.

Whilst I agree that scrunity is always reasonable, I also tend to have faith that a large majority of RMT members are probably the reasonable ones (along with any other workers who take the decision to strike) rather than the bosses of the rail companies. So my starting point would always be that if a strike is called, clearly many workers feel the same discontent with their pay and/or conditions and our instinct should be to back them. And lo and behold, if you read the details of this specific dispute, you find that they are in fact the reasonable ones