2023 legend slot

ProperTea

The board narrative shifting from last year's "Kendrick/Billie/Paul wow the festival is so legendary they can get literally anyone to play whenever they like" to "but it's slim pickings this year! they can only choose from who's around!" despite loads of huge and/or appropriate headline artists... being around is quite funny, I have to say.

I think the harsh reality is that post-covid doing a festival in Somerset at a big loss when you could do six or seven figure headline dates elsewhere that weekend to your own fans just makes more financial sense, and if that's the prevailing trend for Glastonbury then they're going to have to do some course correction somewhere.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Why not just take a punt and give the leg up to someone newer who may or may not smash it. I'd prefer that. Always makes it quite exciting to debate whether or not they'll be a flop too. Though I suppose the ticket price demands no flops. 

I'd rather value for money out of my ticket.  Bookings that - years later - look inexplicable were also gambles.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

The board narrative shifting from last year's "Kendrick/Billie/Paul wow the festival is so legendary they can get literally anyone to play whenever they like" to "but it's slim pickings this year! they can only choose from who's around!" despite loads of huge and/or appropriate headline artists... being around is quite funny, I have to say.

I think the harsh reality is that post-covid doing a festival in Somerset at a big loss when you could do six or seven figure headline dates elsewhere that weekend to your own fans just makes more financial sense, and if that's the prevailing trend for Glastonbury then they're going to have to do some course correction somewhere.

This would hold more true if the headliners were e.g. Aitch, Lizzo and Sam Fender than it does with the current three stadium fillers.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

That narrative was skewed slightly by the fest getting Macca and Kenny to honour their original bookings and Billie slotting it into her existing run.

Nobody was saying that in 2019 and on paper 23 is stronger.

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

“Were” being the operative word. All made their own arrangements that made them unavailable to Glastonbury.

Well that we can't know unless Emily comes out and says sorry guys about the sausage fest this year but all the women who could have been available turned us down. I'd hope they at least tried to get some of those names but we can't definitively say they all made their own arrangements that made them unavailable for Glastonbury. 

2 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Rod would send me to the land of nod

Seriously thought if it is actually am, Gnr, elton and Rod it's a poor year unless they deliver a massive undercard. Elton will be one for the ages but the other 3 I would skip

The undercard will be great and it will save it but no doubt about it those top names feel the least contemporary performing arts festival line up that we've had in years. 

We need some of the great current big things to be leaked to cheer us up. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Well that we can't know unless Emily comes out and says sorry guys about the sausage fest this year but all the women who could have been available turned us down. I'd hope they at least tried to get some of those names but we can't definitively say they all made their own arrangements that made them unavailable for Glastonbury. 

Some tours are booked years in advance. For instance Matt was saying he had sight of Beyoncé’s dates in 2021.

Quite likely that arrangements were pencilled in well before Emily picked up the phone.

52 minutes ago, sisco said:

Yeah book Taylor…. Oh in America.  Rhianna will do it, oh pregnant… f*ck it let’s get Madonna oh wait she’s doing her own tours.  

Glasto book the best of who is available, it’s really not that hard.  I’m not sure Emily and Michael sit there thinking… I know what’ll wind them up 

I feel like they might sit there thinking "Wow all those country house festivals booking old farts for middle-class tories make serious bank. Let's do that then we can knock the tickets up another £50."

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Some tours are booked years in advance. For instance Matt was saying he had sight of Beyoncé’s dates in 2021.

Quite likely that arrangements were pencilled in well before Emily picked up the phone.

Maybe but the point is not every date in a tour is and we have people who have even cancelled announced tour dates to play Glastonbury. We just can't honestly say that the line up we have was the only one possible. I think for example Harry Styles probably would have been very amenable to headlining Glastonbury. It seems he probably was swerved ahead of AM and that will turn out to have been a terrible mistake. 

1 hour ago, leath02 said:

But Glasto Sunday is the 25th right - no other back to back dates on that list, always a day off in between. There's definitely a hole, but it's on the 26th, not the 25th.

Easier for the Legend as it's a small slot and won't need full production but I'm not convinced it's a smoking gun. It looks more like there's a date on the 26th that hasn't be announced/confirmed yet.

It can be simultaneously true that:

1) In isolation each of the acts is plenty big enough / suitable for their allocated in slots

2) In combination it does look pretty stale and homogeneous 

3) Thinking 2) doesn't mean you think there were better options open to the booking team

4) It's totally alright to laugh at all the old white men playing their old rock music at a festival in 2023.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

But Glasto Sunday is the 25th right - no other back to back dates on that list, always a day off in between. There's definitely a hole, but it's on the 26th, not the 25th.

Easier for the Legend as it's a small slot and won't need full production but I'm not convinced it's a smoking gun. It looks more like there's a date on the 26th that hasn't be announced/confirmed yet.

He's playing 2 nights back-to-back literally tonight and tomorrow, he'll do it if he's offered it