2023 legend slot

ProperTea

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think anyone is bothered by there being no female headliners for diversity's sake. It's just based on what Emily has said, clearly having all-male headliners would not be her first choice, and if that's what happens, it's an indication that at some point, something went wrong.

She literally said only last June, some year there will be all male headliners. A thing happening that she said less than a year ago could happen is not an indicator of anything going ‘wrong.’

This is a good example of why it’s so baffling. She never said they would have a female headliner every year, she did say some years they would have all male headliners. But people don’t listen to her.

20 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Yes, but people like to snip that sentence out of the broader context of what she was saying. She goes on to say "but the aim is that you're conscious of that when you're booking". She's always going to try and not have 4 male headliners, it's just that some years it's not going to be possible. If AM/GNR/Elton are locked in she's absolutely going to gun for a female legend first. 

I’ve heard the whole interview. People just don’t like that bit for some reason.  They always have to try and reinterpret what she says. 

22 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I also asked who had been the best headliner. It's very much a fence sitter! 

he title of "best headliner" at Glastonbury Festival is subjective and depends on personal opinions. Some of the most highly regarded headliners in the festival's history include:

• David Bowie (2000)
  • Radiohead (1997, 2003, 2017)
  • Oasis (1994, 1995)
  • The Rolling Stones (2013)
  • Beyoncé (2011)
  • Coldplay (2002, 2005, 2011, 2016)
  • Arctic Monkeys (2013)

Keep in mind that the best headliner for one person may not be the same for another, as the experience of a live performance can be influenced by factors such as the weather, crowd, and individual preferences.

The lack of Blur on that list proves once and for it that it doesn't have a clue.

15 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’ve heard the whole interview. People just don’t like that bit for some reason.  They always have to try and reinterpret what she says. 

The blanket statement "some years will have all males" without further context is doing the exact same thing though. The point is that it's not the desired end result. There's a reason she says "some years will be all male, some years will hopefully be all female".

32 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

She literally said only last June, some year there will be all male headliners. A thing happening that she said less than a year ago could happen is not an indicator of anything going ‘wrong.’

This is a good example of why it’s so baffling. She never said they would have a female headliner every year, she did say some years they would have all male headliners. But people don’t listen to her.

There's a difference between someone's intent and someone being realistic as to what can be achieved.  Just because someone says something might happen, doesn't mean they want it to happen.

If I need to deliver a project by September, I can say "If this risk materialises it may not deliver until November" - that doesn't mean I was aiming for November all along and there's no issue.

I’m not sure it matters too much about the semantics of what Emily said, in an ideal world she would clearly prefer a more even gender split at the top of the bill, the fact it looks like it’s nearly all male means or potentially all male clearly means they didn’t get all their first choices for 2023.

6 hours ago, Skip997 said:

1986 or 1990 or 2019?

I was at the 1986 gig, can't remember anything about them or the performance, but do remember the lightning storm, which provided some of the best visuals for a gig ever.

That sounds awesome. I was at an ACDC gig in Nice where they had a  biblical (imagine 2005 Glasto rain but MORE) downpour in the second half of the gig. Seeing Angus go up on the cherry picker stage platform during Thunderstruck was like an offering to the gods.

I was talking about 2019. Best sound I've ever experienced on the Pyramid. If they could bottle that gig and sell it...

11 hours ago, BenG92 said:

The blanket statement "some years will have all males" without further context is doing the exact same thing though. The point is that it's not the desired end result. There's a reason she says "some years will be all male, some years will hopefully be all female".

I’m quoting directly. The all female bit isn’t relevant to my point, which is that nobody should be giving Emily grief if/when it’s confirmed that this year we have three male headliners, because Emily told us it could happen, and the festival is constrained in what is available to them. If we have all-female headliners next year, nobody should be giving Emily grief that either, as Emily told us it could happen. Yet she’ll get grief for not having a female headliner despite never having promised one, and despite clearly telling everyone last June that some years they won’t have one.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DeanoL said:

There's a difference between someone's intent and someone being realistic as to what can be achieved.  Just because someone says something might happen, doesn't mean they want it to happen.

If I need to deliver a project by September, I can say "If this risk materialises it may not deliver until November" - that doesn't mean I was aiming for November all along and there's no issue.

“Well actually, Emily might have clearly said this but let me explain what she really *meant*”

10 hours ago, Superscally said:

That sounds awesome. I was at an ACDC gig in Nice where they had a  biblical (imagine 2005 Glasto rain but MORE) downpour in the second half of the gig. Seeing Angus go up on the cherry picker stage platform during Thunderstruck was like an offering to the gods.

I was talking about 2019. Best sound I've ever experienced on the Pyramid. If they could bottle that gig and sell it...

That 2019 set was as near perfect as it gets. I was quite far back in the field, the sound was, as you say, fantastic. It was a great way to close the Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

“Well actually, Emily might have clearly said this but let me explain what she really *meant*”

No, just intent is different to reality. If you want to believe that Emily *wanted* three male headliners this year then go ahead but it makes you look utterly daft.

I work within the industry and saw a leak yesterday, shocked myself, will answer what questions I can:

this is from memory so there may be some minor day mistakes, but every act is playing 

FRIDAY 

Main/Arctics - Pulp - The Black Keys

Other/Sam Smith 

WH/Aitch 

John Peel/ Royal Blood 

SATURDAY

Main/GNR - Lewis Capaldi - Lizzo-Becky Hill

Other/Prodigy-Pendulum

WH/Death Grips

John Peel/Rosalia

SUNDAY

Main/Elton - The 1975 - Tom Grennan - The Spice Girls

Other/Queens Of The Stone Age 

WH/Razorlight

John Peel/ Iggy Pop

ARCADIA 

Fred Again…-Skrillex -Four Tet 

10 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

....when you saw the leak, had you taken some strong hallucinogens a few hours before?

The rest of it looks credible insofar it has a lot of names already mentioned.  But Razorlight?  On West Holts?

WH is definitely an odd place for them, but they are touring with the "classic" lineup again. Not the biggest stretch to imagine them popping up somewhere. Whether that's a good thing or not is down to the individual...

1 minute ago, Quark said:

WH is definitely an odd place for them, but they are touring with the "classic" lineup again. Not the biggest stretch to imagine them popping up somewhere. Whether that's a good thing or not is down to the individual...

If anywhere it's Avalon, right?  Iggy headlining JP seems an odd one too.

10 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

to be fair she's also spoken extensively on  lack of female headliners specifically at Glastonbury, about how she is determined to promote female artists and book female headliners, and she's an ambassador for Keychange.

So it's not that much of a stretch to just read between the lines of that single quote and assume that yes she's said there might be a year with all male headliners, probably this year, but I very much doubt she's chuffed about it.

4 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

If anywhere it's Avalon, right?  Iggy headlining JP seems an odd one too.

Just now, BambooShanks said:

Somewhere, definitely.  But headlining WH is breaking my brain. 

If anywhere Razorlight would pop up somewhere on t'Other, maybe subbing or even in the coveted "Friday morning when everyone's hungover" slot. I don't think they have the slightly kitsch appeal of someone like Busted or Bananarama to do Avalon.

I could see Iggy working well in JPT tbh.  I reckon he'd have enough appeal to fill it and have a bouncing atmosphere, but not so much as to overcrowd it.  I'd be well up for that.

33 minutes ago, 1MessageAgainDoneLeak said:

I work within the industry and saw a leak yesterday, shocked myself, will answer what questions I can:

this is from memory so there may be some minor day mistakes, but every act is playing 

FRIDAY 

Main/Arctics - Pulp - The Black Keys

Other/Sam Smith 

WH/Aitch 

John Peel/ Royal Blood 

SATURDAY

Main/GNR - Lewis Capaldi - Lizzo-Becky Hill

Other/Prodigy-Pendulum

WH/Death Grips

John Peel/Rosalia

SUNDAY

Main/Elton - The 1975 - Tom Grennan - The Spice Girls

Other/Queens Of The Stone Age 

WH/Razorlight

John Peel/ Iggy Pop

ARCADIA 

Fred Again…-Skrillex -Four Tet 

Iggy Pop is 75 and playing Germany on the Monday, he's not doing Sunday. So yeah, do your homework before posting this stuff.

Edited by FrancisH
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

to be fair she's also spoken extensively on  lack of female headliners specifically at Glastonbury, about how she is determined to promote female artists and book female headliners, and she's an ambassador for Keychange.

So it's not that much of a stretch to just read between the lines of that single quote and assume that yes she's said there might be a year with all male headliners, probably this year, but I very much doubt she's chuffed about it.

Nope, if someone says something is going to be, it means they're happy and wanted it all along.

Like, at some point this year, I might need a root canal. It means I must be really excited and hyped about getting a root canal. 😄