Car v Coach

Chrisp1986

Pros and cons of both? Seriously cannot decide this year and wondered if anyone has any serious worries about either?

It is my 9th and think it has been 50/50 so far. The last time we went we didn't arrive until late Thursday and the trek from car took around 2 hours and about 3 hours back to car in incredible heat through campervan fields after being told the wrong direction. I want to avoid this but is parking always that bad? My memory can't see passed that year.

We will be arriving mid afternoon Weds.

Coach:

Pros:

• Don't have to drive there or back,
  • Can get on it earlier,
  • Hassle free
  • Nice long sleep on the journey home

Cons:

• Limits on how much stuff you can take
  • You are tied to arrival/departure times
  • You still have to get to/from the coach stop
  • National Express is expensive

Car - see above but in reverse.

Edited by Hugh Jass II
  • Upvote 1

I'm doing something different this year. Our group are going down on the Tuesday, staying over night (by train) and then getting the shuttle bus in. I've always done coach/train for festivals as I jsut really don't fancy driving back on the Monday after for 5 hours, not including getting out of the car park/traffic stress. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Coach:

Pros:

• Don't have to drive there or back,
  • Can get on it earlier,
  • Hassle free
  • Nice long sleep on the journey home

Cons:

• Limits on how much stuff you can take
  • You are tied to arrival/departure times
  • You still have to get to/from the coach stop
  • National Express is expensive

Car - see above but in reverse.

This, and usually at a time when local buses aren't running, and  most partners/friends will be asleep... if they won't give you a lift you then have to book an early morning cab which can be expensive.

I'm getting the coach this year for only the 2nd time.

Already people are questioning logistics in our WhatsApp group, how do we get to the departure point cheaply at 6am, how much stuff can we bring, can so and so on a GA ticket take my beer/camping chair etc, then organising to meet them at the festival as they are either in a campervan or not camping with us, will we get our usual spot if we are arriving much later etc.

Coach has its pros but its defiantly not for people who like to do what they like and I think if I wasn't able to offload my beer/camping chair to other friends driving I would not be a fan of it at all.

I've got there via train, car and coach and has been mentioned they all have pros and cons. My least favourite would probably be train. Having to try and get to the train station through rush hour with my gear wasn't easy, was in London. The train journey there was fine, we all had seats but then had a long wait at castle cary to get to the site. Leaving was a nightmare. It was chucking it down, queues were all over the place and was a lot of pushing to get onto the coaches to the station plus I had a killer hangover. Finally got to the station and it was a free for all getting the trains to London. They were so packed it was like being on a tube train but everyone was tired and wet and most people had to stand all the way, me included. 

Cars great for flexibility and taking as much as you want. Downside is someone then has to drive which isn't normally to bad getting there but coming back you could be very tired. When we've driven we've always got a hotel in Bath on the way home so its a short drive then the longer drive home on Tuesday. It did take us 10 hours to get there 1 year which wasn't great for the driver. Was the year the campervans were getting stuck so were drip feeding them in so the roads were backed up. We left at 2 but didn't get into the car park till midnight. Can be a long walk from the car to the festival as well

Bus is great to just get on, get your seat and away you go. You are limited to what you can take and times though. 

1 minute ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I've got there via train, car and coach and has been mentioned they all have pros and cons. My least favourite would probably be train. Having to try and get to the train station through rush hour with my gear wasn't easy, was in London. The train journey there was fine, we all had seats but then had a long wait at castle cary to get to the site. Leaving was a nightmare. It was chucking it down, queues were all over the place and was a lot of pushing to get onto the coaches to the station plus I had a killer hangover. Finally got to the station and it was a free for all getting the trains to London. They were so packed it was like being on a tube train but everyone was tired and wet and most people had to stand all the way, me included. 

I've had friends get the train before but it tends to be people who can't come on the Wednesday morning for whatever reason so end up getting a quiet train down Weds evening/Thursday and pretty much glide in and then get a lift home with someone.

However I would not want to get the train home on the Monday for the reasons you describe!

5 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

The train journey there was fine, we all had seats but then had a long wait at castle cary to get to the site.

Is that always the case with the train?

I assume the main issue is a train pulls in with 500+ people getting off it and then there aren't enough shuttle buses to get people onto the site quick enough without some sort of queue starting to back up?

Just now, gooner1990 said:

Is that always the case with the train?

I assume the main issue is a train pulls in with 500+ people getting off it and then there aren't enough shuttle buses to get people onto the site quick enough without some sort of queue starting to back up?

This is exactly the problem. It was 2008 and we counted 4 buses taking people to the festival site, think it is about a 20 min bus ride so you could be there quite a while, especially if a train has got there just before yours. It wasn't raining then so the wait wasn't to bad and you know you will soon be pitched up so you don't mind. On the way back you just want to be able to sit down and get home

driving does mean you can keep stuff in your car - wellies, waterproofs, a bag of beers, a warm set of clothes for the drive back if things get a bit squashy etc. this is a good thing. 

But parking is expensive, petrol is expensive, driving can be a right pain in the arse if there's any crashes etc, and you realistically have to knock drinking on the head on the sunday so you can be reasonably right on the monday. 

I've just recalled the joy of a porcelain poop at the services on the drive home on the monday though - the a36/m27 junction ones - i always look forward to those so much 😆 its almost worth driving just so you can have the joy of a porcelain poop again 

Just now, balti-pie said:

driving does mean you can keep stuff in your car - wellies, waterproofs, a bag of beers, a warm set of clothes for the drive back if things get a bit squashy etc. this is a good thing. 

But parking is expensive, petrol is expensive, driving can be a right pain in the arse if there's any crashes etc, and you realistically have to knock drinking on the head on the sunday so you can be reasonably right on the monday. 

I've just recalled the joy of a porcelain poop at the services on the drive home on the monday though - the a36/m27 junction ones - i always look forward to those so much 😆 its almost worth driving just so you can have the joy of a porcelain poop again 

Maccy ds in street has performed that function for us if there are any delays getting out the car parks … if there aren’t it’s just a quick run home … the worst year was definately the train … we got moved departure platforms twice … at a great laugh to the guards … queues at castle Cary a pain and then the shuttle decided to drop us off on the main road and not even at gate A so we had a nightmare trek into the festival … I think this was because of traffic 

The only downside to getting the coach for some would be the luggage limit but I've never had a problem with it. Queue from the coach line to getting your ticket is never too long either. Past couple of times my coach has been in by 6am Wednesday and I've had my tent up before 9am

25 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

This is exactly the problem. It was 2008 and we counted 4 buses taking people to the festival site, think it is about a 20 min bus ride so you could be there quite a while, especially if a train has got there just before yours. It wasn't raining then so the wait wasn't to bad and you know you will soon be pitched up so you don't mind. On the way back you just want to be able to sit down and get home

I would hope they have sorted that out in the last 14 years!

Unfortunately the location of the site just means that cars are always a preferred option for a lot of people, although I do wonder how long before they start limiting the amount of car parking and increase the amount of coach tickets if the festival wants to be even greener.

55 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm getting the coach this year for only the 2nd time.

Already people are questioning logistics in our WhatsApp group, how do we get to the departure point cheaply at 6am, how much stuff can we bring, can so and so on a GA ticket take my beer/camping chair etc, then organising to meet them at the festival as they are either in a campervan or not camping with us, will we get our usual spot if we are arriving much later etc.

Coach has its pros but its defiantly not for people who like to do what they like and I think if I wasn't able to offload my beer/camping chair to other friends driving I would not be a fan of it at all.

Send em my way mate.  I am Mr pared back kit list / packing but still get off your tits and be comfy.

Its that much of an obsession I lay out all my gear on the floor and take a photo prior to packing.  On return I discard what I didn't need / use and take another photo which is used as next festival base line.  For real the fun aint diminished but the lugging of kit from Chester to Pilton on public transport has deffo got better.

Its at times like this when it is so obvious why I did those foot patrols under hostile fire for years.  It was preparation for Glastonbury in my fifties.

Should have mentioned, I tend to get train to Temple Meads on the Monday and then bus from the bottom of the ramp to Glastonbury Town and camp there on the Monday and then taxi to site Tuesday morning.  Getting in that day early as volunteer is priceless.

Edited by Jay Pee

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

Send em my way mate.  I am Mr pared back kit list / packing but still get off your tits and be comfy.

Its that much of an obsession I lay out all my gear on the floor and take a photo prior to packing.  On return I discard what I didn't need / use and take another photo which is used as next festival base line.  For real the fun aint diminished but the lugging of kit from Chester to Pilton on public transport has deffo got better.

Its at times like this when it is so obvious why I did those foot patrols under hostile fire for years.  It was preparation for Glastonbury in my fifties.

I've heard of vacuum packs for clothes - is this something you practice? 

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I've heard of vacuum packs for clothes - is this something you practice? 

No mate.  3Tshirts, 3 pairs of duds and 3 pairs of socks is plenty for the week.  I have gone days in the same clobber and wet wipe showered for 2 weeks.  All that is behind me now (thankfully)

Just now, Jay Pee said:

No mate.  3Tshirts, 3 pairs of duds and 3 pairs of socks is plenty for the week.  I have gone days in the same clobber and wet wipe showered for 2 weeks.  All that is behind me now (thankfully)

I stopped taking jeans with me about 5 years ago.

Denim takes an age to dry if it rains, and if its hot then you don't need them!

I'm genuinely staggered at the amount of stuff some of my friends who travel down by car bring. Always gotten the coach but my backpack is half full of booze more than anything else. Attach the tent, sleeping bag and rollmat and good to go with my day bag prepped and sorted for the Wednesday. 

That being said in 2019 travelled from Colchester to Bristol on the train the day before. Was so much better waking up at 9am after 10 hours sleep, knowing I could have a shower and a feed and still be on site before midday. 

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I stopped taking jeans with me about 5 years ago.

Denim takes an age to dry if it rains, and if its hot then you don't need them!

Tru Dat.  Cant remember the last timei took long trousers to a festival.  the best thing you can be wearing in the pissing rain is shorts

Started going by coach from Liverpool to ease the ticket burden on main sale day.

Had various times over the year. Never fails to amaze me how many people are on it on the early coach. I prefer to think of it as a marathon not a sprint.

Depending on the coach time I then decide how to get the tent down to the site. 

Ale and some other stuff brought down by our car crew, apart from a few bevvies for the coach. 

Always get a lift home.